Vivek Ramaswamy and persecuted Christians

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Vivek Ramaswamy and persecuted Christians

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:33 pm

The Amish still don't use any fossil fuels. Are they not flourishing?
LOL....Yep, their generators run on water and their hired drivers all have electric vehicles.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Grace wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:03 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:33 pm

The Amish still don't use any fossil fuels. Are they not flourishing?
LOL....Yep, their generators run on water and their hired drivers all have electric vehicles.
I watched an Amish crew building a chicken house the other day. Their cutoff saws are powered with 2-cycle engines!
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:51 pm
ohio jones wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:41 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:33 pm The Amish still don't use any fossil fuels.
:laugh
Well, not much of them anyway. The odd kerosene lantern and generator to run milking machines and such. But that is only because they don't want to be on the electrical grid. Perhaps it is more accurate to say they don't RELY on them. I certainly wouldn't claim that the economic success of the Amish is due to their reliance on fossil fuels. You don't see them queuing up at the gas station like the rest of us or complaining about gas prices.
Most Amish are pretty dependent on fossil fuels. The farmers would be helpless without diesel for their generators to keep their milk tanks cool. And they depend on drivers to haul them to go shopping and visiting others. And on fuel for trucks to pick up and drop off their farm products. And on propane or white gas for all the lighting and sometimes the heat in their homes and barns. I would say they are not AS dependent, but still dependent. Without fossil fuel, their lifestyle would be in trouble along with everyone else's.
2 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:06 am He often posts this list. I tend to agree with much of this.

Interesting list.

i’m not well informed about VR. He’s a bit of a fast talker, with smooth answers to everything.
i see lots of good conservatives, and that’s important to me. Deep bench. Only one will be president, he needs a deep bench.
WE the people need a deep bench. Presidential campaigns are overly focused on “The One.”

i dare to say, in my good multi-cultural public school experience, prior to 1964’s “revolution,” even students who were children attending from prominent atheist homes, i believe ALL would agree with his list, many points, strongly so. Esp regarding family matters.

Divorce, open fornication, living together outside marriage, abortion, CRIME, were socially unacceptable, across the board.

A lot of us were in poverty.
“The bar” of human decency was the same for all regarding morality and crime.
It would have been insulting to be otherwise. We were poor, not stupid, or evil. We had dignity in our humanity.
We strived for human dignity, civility.

If anything is needed in poverty, it’s HOPE to do better, not excuses and enabling to do wrong.
Jesus modeled HOPE. Jesus is HOPE.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:06 am He often posts this list. I tend to agree with much of this.

This seems like a pretty standard list of Republican talking points. The interesting thing is how to get there.

Of course Ramaswamy doesn't mention that he owns a fund called Strive Assent Management, which pushes for oil drilling at a site as long as it's profitable. He accuses other candidates of being "bought and paid for" by the "climate change hoax" but doesn't mention that he's making money off of climate change denialism.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I don't see anything wrong with this list.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

RZehr wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:04 pm

I don't see anything wrong with this list.
There's nothing really "wrong" with it. It's the current crop of Republican talking points. The interesting thing what this means in regards to policy.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Hey, there is nothing about persecuting Christians on that list. Must not be real high on his to do list. :)
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:32 pm Hey, there is nothing about persecuting Christians on that list. Must not be real high on his to do list. :)
Nothing about preventing religious persecution either.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:55 pm
RZehr wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:32 pm Hey, there is nothing about persecuting Christians on that list. Must not be real high on his to do list. :)
Nothing about preventing religious persecution either.
Sure there is. Number 10.
1 x