Vivek Ramaswamy and persecuted Christians

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Vivek Ramaswamy and persecuted Christians

Post by Bootstrap »

Christianity Today has an article about Ramaswamy's connections to those who are persecuting Christians in India, and his praise for them. I think this is accurate, and worth taking note of.
For Indian American Christians, Ramaswamy’s faith practices don’t present a problem. But they’ve worried about his open admiration for Modi, who has been accused of compromising democracy, Hinduizing the country, and ignoring religious violence against minorities.

In the wake of the recent attacks on Christians in Manipur, which have killed more than 100 people, Ramaswamy praised Modi as “an outstanding leader of India.”

“Modi has been building on that experience [of free-market capitalism] in India, lifting people up from poverty,” Ramaswamy said in a July interview. “Regardless of their background, regardless of identity politics, India has prospered economically. GDP growth is up. I think that’s the ultimate metric of a truly successful unifying leader.”

Ramaswamy’s presidential candidacy “seems to be a part of a deeper Hindutva agenda,” says Jai Prakash Masih, a leader at Asian Mennonite Community Church, Lombard, Illinois. (Hindutva is an ideology advocating hegemony of Hindus and Hinduism within India.)

And the average American voter’s ignorance about the nuances of Hinduism and Hindutva work to Ramaswamy’s advantage, says Sam Beera, an IT professional from Boston.

“I don’t think the average white conservative Christian knows much about Hinduism or Hindutva, other than yoga, elephants, or Modi. That is a big asset for Ramaswamy,” said Beera. “There is an alarming lack of knowledge on the clear and present danger of Hindutva, which is an ideology modeled on Nazism.”

The political objectives of Hindu nationalists, says Beera, include advocating for Akhand Bharat, a movement that calls for an “unbroken India”—a political unification of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives—and endorsing Hindu political candidates globally while simultaneously marginalizing minority groups within India.

“What percentage of US conservative Christians are aware of the above? Hardly a pittance if at all,” said Beera.
“Vivek Ramaswamy has surprised many people in the past week by slowly moving up in the opinion polls,” said John Prabhudoss, at the Federation of Indian American Christian Organizations of North America. “But what we are concerned about is his association with radical Hindu groups that are aligned with Hindu extremism.”

Ramaswamy has in the past delivered the keynote for fundraisers for political advocacy groups linked to the US chapter of Vishwa Hindu Parishad of America (VHPA or World Hindu Council of America), notes Pieter Friedrich, an American who advocates for persecuted Christians in India. VHPA is the US wing of the VHP (World Council of Hindus), which the CIA classified as a “militant religious organization” in 2018.

“Rather than trying to court Christian voters by appealing to similarities between their faith and Hinduism, perhaps Ramaswamy should instead take up the cause of Indian Christians who are being persecuted by the Modi regime he praises,” said Friedrich.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Vivek Ramaswamy and persecuted Christians

Post by Ken »

According to Human Rights Watch, while Christians are, indeed, facing some persecution and attacks in India, the bulk of the government-sponsored religious discrimination in India is against Muslims: https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2023/c ... ters/india

Either way, it isn't a good look for a US presidential candidate to be an apologist or ally of a foreign government engaged in religious persecution.

Of course one could say the same thing about nearly every single Muslim-led government in the world as well. Saudi Arabia, for example, is hardly friendly or tolerant of any other faith except Sunni Islam. Yet it seems to be a US ally across both Democratic and Republican administrations. And then there is Israel.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

We have had US presidents whose administrations have persecuted Christians who would not go to war. Do we know of any US presidents who supported the persecution? Just curious.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:01 pm We have had US presidents whose administrations have persecuted Christians who would not go to war. Do we know of any US presidents who supported the persecution? Just curious.
The Reagan Administration definitely supported crackdowns on both Christian anti-nuclear protesters as well as prosecution of conscientious objectors to draft registration.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Political alliances are inherently compromising, somebody somewhere will be thrown under the bus...
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

barnhart wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:33 pm Political alliances are inherently compromising, somebody somewhere will be thrown under the bus...
In all his speeches and talks I have listened to, and it has been many hours, I have never heard him speak about any of this. It sounds like another hit piece using loose connections because he spoke at some event and the author is making some projections.

One can validate the positive of someone without agreeing with everything they do.

I hope more people in India can be lifted out of poverty. I hope they have leaders who can do that. I will not agree with everything that leader does, but if it is helping people prosper without harming others, I can and will validate that.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:30 pm
barnhart wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:33 pm Political alliances are inherently compromising, somebody somewhere will be thrown under the bus...
In all his speeches and talks I have listened to, and it has been many hours, I have never heard him speak about any of this. It sounds like another hit piece using loose connections because he spoke at some event and the author is making some projections.

One can validate the positive of someone without agreeing with everything they do.

I hope more people in India can be lifted out of poverty. I hope they have leaders who can do that. I will not agree with everything that leader does, but if it is helping people prosper without harming others, I can and will validate that.
Does Christianity Today publish political hit pieces?

Modi's pro-Hindu nationalist policies that target Muslim and Christian minorities is well documented.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Szdfan wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:07 am Does Christianity Today publish political hit pieces?

Modi's pro-Hindu nationalist policies that target Muslim and Christian minorities is well documented.
Yes, I think that Christian Today, would publish a political hit piece.
I have no opinion on whether this specific issue is a real concern or not. This is the first I knew that he was Hindu. The fact that he is a conservative or observant Hindu would be enough for me to not want him. If he was a liberal Hindu, it probably wouldn’t matter, since no one really takes liberal religious people seriously anyway.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

RZehr wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:27 am
Szdfan wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:07 am Does Christianity Today publish political hit pieces?

Yes, I think that Christian Today, would publish a political hit piece.
I have no opinion on whether this specific issue is a real concern or not. This is the first I knew that he was Hindu. The fact that he is a conservative or observant Hindu would be enough for me to not want him. If he was a liberal Hindu, it probably wouldn’t matter, since no one really takes liberal religious people seriously anyway.
Ramaswamy has been open that he's a Hindu. You're not the only one who takes issue with his faith:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/09/us/v ... ticleShare
Mr. Ramaswamy, 37, was raised by Indian immigrants and is a practicing Hindu. That poses a dilemma for some of the conservative Christian voters who make up a significant share of the Republican primary electorate and are accustomed to evaluating candidates not just on their policy proposals but also on their biographies and personal beliefs, including religious faith.
Mr. Ramaswamy’s approach has been to confront the issue directly and argue that he has more in common with observant Christians than they might think.

“I’m not Christian. I was not raised in a Christian household,” he told Mr. Vander Plaats in June in front of a small audience at the headquarters of his organization, the Family Leader. “But we do share the same Christian values that this nation was founded on.”

In an interview in late June, after leaving a meeting with a few dozen pastors in New Hampshire, Mr. Ramaswamy said his faith taught him that Jesus was “a son of God, absolutely.” (That “a” is a sharp distinction from the central Christian belief that Jesus is the son of God. Hinduism is a fluid and expansive tradition, and many believers embrace scores of deities, with some seeing Jesus as one teacher or god.)
I'm not a Ramaswamy supporter, but I think that an authentic faith (even a faith that I disagree with) is better than the transactional facade of faith that Trump represents.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

RZehr wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:27 amThe fact that he is a conservative or observant Hindu would be enough for me to not want him. If he was a liberal Hindu, it probably wouldn’t matter, since no one really takes liberal religious people seriously anyway.
Does the same observation apply to most Christians?

I think the tendency is similar, although there are some very conservative and observant Christians who give latitude to others.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"