Vivek Ramaswamy and persecuted Christians

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Vivek Ramaswamy and persecuted Christians

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:04 pm I’m Hindu, and I’m proud of that. I stand for that without apology. I think I’m going to be able to be more ardent as a defender of religious liberty.
So is he now going to call for religious liberty in India? Stand up for persecuted Christians there? Speak plainly to Modi about these things? Stop speaking to the conferences of organizations that stifle religious liberty in India?

Seems like the current situation in India is a good way to see if he is actually going to do what he says in that quote.
2 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:10 am
Robert wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:04 pm I’m Hindu, and I’m proud of that. I stand for that without apology. I think I’m going to be able to be more ardent as a defender of religious liberty.
So is he now going to call for religious liberty in India? Stand up for persecuted Christians there? Speak plainly to Modi about these things? Stop speaking to the conferences of organizations that stifle religious liberty in India?

Seems like the current situation in India is a good way to see if he is actually going to do what he says in that quote.
Is he running for President of India?

I mean, is anyone calling for Biden (presuming he runs for President) to stand up for religious liberty in Ukraine, for example?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Has Biden even pretended to be interested in religious liberty?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:17 am Has Biden even pretended to be interested in religious liberty?
https://www.americanprogress.org/articl ... irst-year/
7 Ways the Biden Administration Advanced Religious Liberty During Its First Year: At home and abroad, the Biden administration is restoring a commitment to religious liberty for all.

On his first day in office, President Joe Biden rescinded former President Donald Trump’s Muslim ban. This was a historic victory for religious liberty that recognized no one should be banned from the country because of how they pray or how they worship. The Muslim ban policy was the most prominent but not the only way the Trump administration undermined religious liberty by favoring certain religions and using religion as a license to discriminate against and harm others, particularly women, LGBTQI+ individuals, religious minorities, and the nonreligious. Fortunately, in its first year, the Biden administration has charted a new course on religious liberty. It is helping to advance democratic principles of separating church and state while also affirming religious liberty for all, which includes protecting the rights and safety of religious minorities and the nonreligious.

Indeed, the Biden administration has taken a different and welcome approach to religious freedom, thus far reflecting an understanding that it is the principle that allows everyone to practice, or not practice, religion free from government interference. This human right is threatened by anti-democratic forces within the United States and in nations around the world.

This report details seven ways the Biden administration is advancing religious liberty at home and abroad:

1. Halting discrimination on the basis of religion in the U.S. immigration system
2. Expanding civil rights protections on the basis of religion
3. Resetting federal regulations to respect religious liberty
4. Structuring the administration’s religious affairs functions appropriately with religiously diverse leaders
5. Protecting sacred lands for Indigenous communities
6. Fighting white supremacist violence and enacting hate crimes legislation
7. Advancing international religious freedom as part of the interdependent human rights framework
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Bootstrap wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:10 am

I've read commentary from American Hindus that Ramaswamy is misrepresenting Hinduism by being mushy about the differences between the religion and Abrahamic faiths in order to appeal to conservatives and evangelicals.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Josh

Post by Josh »

I would say he’s been quite honest about what his religion is, but he is also seeking to find common ground instead of focusing on divisions and differences.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:24 pm I would say he’s been quite honest about what his religion is, but he is also seeking to find common ground instead of focusing on divisions and differences.
What in your mind is the common ground between Hinduism and Christianity?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:48 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:24 pm I would say he’s been quite honest about what his religion is, but he is also seeking to find common ground instead of focusing on divisions and differences.
What in your mind is the common ground between Hinduism and Christianity?
Mr Ramaswamy is the one making that case, not me. However, my general viewpoint is that finding things to divide a pluralistic society over, particularly very longstanding things like religion, isn’t a good idea. I am very unhappy about how much effort was expended to make people think Muslims are our enemy and how we are “different” from them, over the last 22 years.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:17 am Has Biden even pretended to be interested in religious liberty?
Biden also isn't Ukrainian.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Neto wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:33 pm
Biden also isn't Ukrainian.
Biden has Irish roots and he has shown a lot of attention to the Irish peace process over the years and that conflict is steeped in religion.
0 x