A Thread for Right Leaning Folks

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

A Thread for Right Leaning Folks

Post by Ernie »

This is a thread for those who lean Right, politically.

In this thread, you can talk about all the things you like about the Right and Right leaning politicians, pundits, and their family members. You can also use this thread to talk about all the things you don't like about the Left and Left leaning politicians and pundits.

Please post your Right leaning thoughts on this thread rather than bringing them in on other threads where a Right leaning / Left leaning debate or agenda is not welcomed.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: A Thread for Right Leaning Folks

Post by temporal1 »

(i understand) conservatives to be less inclined to create+join politically organized blocs.
This results in more diversity, altho optics may not readily reflect it. Less “organization” may be construed as a negative, when it’s the longer term positive.

Most undisturbed cultures worldwide are conservative, placing value on traditional families, value of faith, morality.
Not confined to Christianity.

Also, more interest in fiscal responsibility, “real” outcomes, “real” results, rather than manipulating results in self-serving attempt to prove up is down. Not as impressed by human reasoning as the be-all, a pitfall of academia.

A related thread:

RZehr / Good things - Trump .. / 42 pages
viewtopic.php?t=1343
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Just a question for the politically involved folks:
My wife is one of those, and she watched the debate last night. I stood there and watched parts of it, and the thought occurred to me as to how much a spouse can affect the attitudes and thought processes of "leaders", or just people in general.
What do you all know about the spouses of the current candidates?
And, a provocative thought, Do wives influence their husbands in these ways more than the opposite? (I think of how Rasputin influenced Czarine Alexandra, and how she in turn, influenced Czar Nicholas II, bringing, I would say, destruction to their family.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:34 pm Just a question for the politically involved folks:
My wife is one of those, and she watched the debate last night. I stood there and watched parts of it, and the thought occurred to me as to how much a spouse can affect the attitudes and thought processes of "leaders", or just people in general.
And, a provocative thought, Do wives influence their husbands in these ways more than the opposite? (I think of how Rasputin influenced Czarine Alexandra, and how she in turn, influenced Czar Nicholas II, bringing, I would say, destruction to their family.)
Excellent question. Think Pilate's wife, what if he would have taken her advice?

What do you advise as the best way to learn as much as possible about their wives?

We saw the debate, I see all the candidates there as pretty strong and I question how much a wife (or husband) would make a difference-

In the case of Trump who was not there, I see little if any Inluence for his positions politically.

I felt pretty good about a few of them- leani g towards one I've admired quite awhile if not Trump.

Clearly, whoever was in the audience, had strong support for Trump. So these candidates are walking a fine line if/when they criticize him.
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Valerie wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:07 pm
Neto wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:34 pm Just a question for the politically involved folks:
Excellent question. Think Pilate's wife, what if he would have taken her advice?

What do you advise as the best way to learn as much as possible about their wives?

We saw the debate, I see all the candidates there as pretty strong and I question how much a wife (or husband) would make a difference-

In the case of Trump who was not there, I see little if any Inluence for his positions politically.

I felt pretty good about a few of them- leani g towards one I've admired quite awhile if not Trump.

Clearly, whoever was in the audience, had strong support for Trump. So these candidates are walking a fine line if/when they criticize him.
As a right-leaning person myself, can I ask why you’re still considering Trump among your Republican candidate options?
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:15 pmAs a right-leaning person myself, can I ask why you’re still considering Trump among your Republican candidate options?
i'm wondering the same thing myself. why is he even an option? not just for valerie, but for everyone.
3 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

justme wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:55 pm
HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:15 pmAs a right-leaning person myself, can I ask why you’re still considering Trump among your Republican candidate options?
i'm wondering the same thing myself. why is he even an option? not just for valerie, but for everyone.
That's a loaded question. He's not my favorite but I agree with those that recognize the good he did and would have liked for it to continue "without the constant hatred & attempts to take him down.

I also appreciate he isnot a globalist & recognized the dangers of such. Before he announced he was pro'life years ago, there were a great many people appreciating his positions. Becoming outspoken ad pro-life and promising to appoint conservative judges stirred up more hatred but he is not wishy washy nor a RINO, he knows how to accomplish a great deal
I'm not worried about what's popular to think about him on MN. I also think like e ven some democrats, that he's been treated unfairly.

We have a long way to go before the election. Much to learn.
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

I don’t think my question was loaded; I am genuinely curious because I simply don’t understand. I’ve never been a “Never Trumper” and I too can appreciate a lot of his policies and the justices he was able to secure to the Supreme Court. I used to think that a lot of his original 2016 support among Republican Christians was transactional - they were willing to hold their noses and vote for him because they genuinely believed that only he could beat Hillary and because he promised (and largely delivered) on conservative justices. I assumed that this transactional moment was a blip and that the Christian base would switch to a more palatable option once one came along that was viable and able to win. It’s been clear for a few years now that I was mistaken and that what maybe at first was nose-hold voting has now become true loyalty. I don’t understand why.

My curiosity is piqued by the fact that you can have essentially the same policy issues in someone like Desantis or Vivek but without the baggage and the vulgarity and yet you’re still considering him in the primary.

What do you see in Trump that you don’t in candidates with very similar and in some cases, more conservative platforms?
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

In the past months, I've started to watch/listen to podcasts and a favorite is Shawn Ryan. He interviewed this Vivek guy that is running for president on the Republican ticket. I've watched clips of it. I didn't watch the entire episode yet, but plan to in the next few days.

https://shawnryanshow.com/blogs/the-sha ... deep-state
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:52 pm I don’t think my question was loaded; I am genuinely curious because I simply don’t understand. I’ve never been a “Never Trumper” and I too can appreciate a lot of his policies and the justices he was able to secure to the Supreme Court. I used to think that a lot of his original 2016 support among Republican Christians was transactional - they were willing to hold their noses and vote for him because they genuinely believed that only he could beat Hillary and because he promised (and largely delivered) on conservative justices. I assumed that this transactional moment was a blip and that the Christian base would switch to a more palatable option once one came along that was viable and able to win. It’s been clear for a few years now that I was mistaken and that what maybe at first was nose-hold voting has now become true loyalty. I don’t understand why.

My curiosity is piqued by the fact that you can have essentially the same policy issues in someone like Desantis or Vivek but without the baggage and the vulgarity and yet you’re still considering him in the primary.

What do you see in Trump that you don’t in candidates with very similar and in some cases, more conservative platforms?
I really like DeSantis. Yet people like my sister, and she being a strong Christian, started leaning more left & can't stand DeSantis either! I know this mindswlermt. Vivek is very charismatic like Obama was attracting people, but I in my spirit have a lack of trust- I need to learn more of why he took money from Soros.

Integrity wise, Trump is the same man who ran & surprised the left by winning. They were simy wrong. He was not unfaithful in his marriage during office like some presidents- he was devoted to getting this country back on the right track.

Whomever becomes "the" candidate will have the left attempting to rip them to shreds & deal with false accusations, as they did Kavanagh- who can stand up to hat & still defeat Biden?
Trump asked for voter ID and in person voting. I felt as confident as he did, that voting this way would remove fraudulent voting, HE could take that risk. The left could not.

His loyalty base is probably due to the fact they knew he was doing a great job, chose what many of us felt were great cabinet members, judges, justices, AND wanted to see him finish what he started. His base will probably always feel that was stolen from him, & even some Dems admitted he's been treated unfairly. So the thought is, if the left keeps being successful at these tactics, there's no stopping them.

I need to look deeper into the past at the others, I love the DesmSantis family- is ge strong enough to beat Biden?
0 x