What family corruption in the White House really looks like

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

What family corruption in the White House really looks like

Post by Ken »

This week the Wall Street Journal updates us on how Jared Kushner is doing

Since it is paywalled:
Jared Kushner set up last year at Tel Aviv’s Hilton Hotel overlooking the Mediterranean Sea, aiming to spend some of the $3 billion that Gulf nations had pledged for him to invest…

Kushner left Tel Aviv last spring without writing any checks.

More than a year later, while collecting millions in management fees, Kushner says he is just now poised to invest in his first Israeli company.

Kushner admits that he has been slow to sign deals and sees that as savvy business sense…

“Deployment has been slower than expected because we maintained high standards,” Kushner said. “In retrospect, I’m glad we didn’t follow the herd.”…

Kushner and Mohammed developed an unusually close relationship while Trump was in the White House. In a memoir released last year, Kushner wrote that he repeatedly called the Saudi crown prince to secure help on key U.S. foreign policy issues, including oil prices. Kushner’s appeals created intense friction in the Trump administration, with then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson accusing Trump’s son-in-law of undercutting his authority…

When pressed on the issue, some Republicans have criticized Kushner, who had little experience in the field when he started Affinity.

“I think that what Kushner did crossed the line of ethics,” Rep. James Comer (R., Ky.) said earlier this month on CNN.
Yes, THAT James Comer.

Why does he say that? Perhaps because Jared Kushner is pocketing tens of millions of dollars per year to do nothing with Saudi money?
Saudi Arabia invested $2 billion with Kushner, making it Affinity’s largest investor. The kingdom agreed to pay Kushner tens of millions in management fees each year—even if he didn’t invest the money, said some Saudi officials involved in the deal.

The arrangement isn’t uncommon in the industry, but some Saudi officials viewed it as inappropriate for someone of his experience level. Mohammed overruled those concerns, said the Saudis involved in the deal.

Critics say that Kushner’s ability to collect substantial fees while

making few investments fuels concerns that the Saudi money was payback for helping the kingdom in the White House and an effort to secure access to the Trump family if Trump returns to the White House in 2025.

“It appears to be money for nothing,” said Norm Eisen, a senior fellow in Governance Studies at the Brookings Institution. “In the absence of material transactions, this goes beyond a raised eyebrow to profound concerns about possible impropriety and quid pro quos.”…
It turns out that only 1% of Jared Kushner's new $3 BILLION dollar slush fund comes from American sources, 99% of it is from foreign entities. Is this normal for investment firms? Well...

Economic analyst Steven Rattner on Monday shared a pie chart showing that all but 1% of the $3 billion in investments in former President Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner’s private equity firm Affinity Partners came from foreign sources after he “spent much of his White House tenure cozying up” to Saudi Arabia and Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman. The Saudis invested $2 billion in Kushner’s fund while the United Arab Emirates and Qatar each added another $200 million. About $625 million came from other non-U.S. sources while only $31 million came from sources inside the U.S. Rattner told MSNBC that he’s “never seen this” in 40 years in the business.

“I’ve never seen somebody get two-thirds of their money from a single investor. Usually a single investor might be a few percent of the fund, might be 5 percent, occasionally 10 percent,” he said. While Kushner has hired some people for his fund, “I’ve seen nothing else about what he’s actually done with the money,” Rattner continued.

“It is normal to invest this money over a period of several years, so I don’t think we can draw a firm conclusion yet. But, again, we’re going back to a guy who’s a real estate guy, and frankly, not a particularly good one at that, who’s suddenly got $3 billion trying to do private equity deals competing against people who’ve been in this business for a long time. And I wouldn’t, if I were the Saudis, count on making a lot of money from this any time soon,” he said, adding: “U.S. private equity firms still raise the vast bulk of their money from U.S. investors. This is extraordinary — unprecedented — I’ve never seen anything like it.”

And last but not least, Jared and Ivanka seem to be gearing up to protect their Saudi gravy train this election cycle: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/07 ... p-campaign
According to Trump advisers, Ivanka and Kushner have been more visible lately, stoking speculation that the pair could take an active role in Trump’s 2024 campaign. They have been living at their cottage on the grounds of Bedminster, sources said. And last month Ivanka attended her father’s birthday dinner, a source added. “They’ve been spotted more frequently this summer,” a top campaign strategist told me. “They’ve made it clear they’re supportive. They pop into meetings to say hi.” Trump advisers cautioned that, at least for now, Kushner and Ivanka are only engaging as members of the Trump family and are not participating in an official advisory capacity.

. . .

But with Trump dominating the 2024 Republican primary, some sources suggested Kushner and Ivanka might hop on the Trump train. “Now that the president is 40 points ahead, of course Jared is pretending he’s involved. If he’s president again, Jared needs to protect his turf, especially in the Middle East,” a former Trump administration official said.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: What family corruption in the White House really looks like

Post by Josh »

Except that none of these people are currently holding public office. Trump hasn’t been President in 2 1/2 years.

This is rather different than the son of someone whose jobs were either pool lifeguard or lifelong Senator.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I think both Hunter Biden and the Trump family raise real issues of corruption. I think both should be investigated. I think Congress should consider legislation to combat this kind of corruption.

I do see some differences. One main difference is that Donald Trump is no longer in office.

One main difference is that Donald Trump has vowed to put Hunter Biden in jail and has threatened Republicans who do not join his campaign. I don't remember anyone doing that with the Trump family. I don't want to see that, it's bad enough coming from one side.

One main difference is that Donald Trump was the boss of his family. They worked directly for him, either in the Trump Corporation or the Trump Campaign or both, while also serving in government, dealing with some of the same people. To me, that is an inherent conflict of interest. Especially when they work so hard to ensure that there is no transparency, not even disclosing income taxes, while continuing to run the company and serve as President at the same time (after promising he would not do that during the election).

So I'd be happy to see one Special Counsel for the Trump family in addition to the Special Counsel for Hunter Biden. And of course, if they actually come up with solid evidence against Joe Biden, that will also need to be investigated.
Last edited by Bootstrap on Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Color me shocked that politicians and their families make money off of their positions of power.
2 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:45 pm Color me shocked that politicians and their families make money off of their positions of power.
Trump is unusual in having less money after leaving office than he had when he entered it.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:02 pm
HondurasKeiser wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:45 pm Color me shocked that politicians and their families make money off of their positions of power.
Trump is unusual in having less money after leaving office than he had when he entered it.
As oj described elsewhere, having corrupt relatives happens. Not denouncing them, setting boundaries, is joe’s foible.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:46 pm Except that none of these people are currently holding public office. Trump hasn’t been President in 2 1/2 years.

This is rather different than the son of someone whose jobs were either pool lifeguard or lifelong Senator.
Every single act of corruption described above happened YEARS AFTER every single accusation related to Hunter Biden and Burisma.

And all the deal-making described above with the Saudis and other Gulf States happened while Jarred Kushner was actually a high-level government official. Not that he just happened to be related to Donald Trump. But while he was actually a public official in charge of much of the government's middle east policy.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

YEARS AFTER?

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-alia ... ow-1821034
The House Oversight Committee is also seeking "all unredacted documents and communications in which then-Vice President Joe Biden used a pseudonym" and the pseudonyms the committee listed are "Robert Peters, Robin Ware, and JRB Ware."

Those names were used by then Vice President Biden as pseudonyms for private email addresses during his time as vice president, according to a report from The New York Post in July 2021.

Newsweek attempted to reach out to the email address cited in that 2021 report—Robert.L.Peters@pci.gov—but received a bounce back early on Friday morning.

Emails to Hunter Biden
Hunter Biden was carbon copied on two of the emails House Republicans are seeking and in his letter on Thursday, Comer drew attention to the email on May 27, 2016, which had included an attached copy of Biden's schedule referencing a phone call Biden had with then Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko.

"It is concerning to the Committee, however, that this document was sent to 'Robert L. Peters;—a pseudonym the Committee has identified as then Vice-President Biden," Comer's letter said.

"Additionally, the Committee questions why the then-Vice President's son, Hunter Biden—and only Hunter Biden—was copied on this email to then-Vice President Biden," the letter added.

At the time that email was sent, Hunter Biden was sitting on the board of Ukrainian natural gas company, Burisma. He served on the board from 2014 to 2019.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:44 pm
So I'd be happy to see one Special Counsel for the Trump family in addition to the Special Counsel for Hunter Biden. And of course, if they actually come up with solid evidence against Joe Biden, that will also need to be investigated.
Here it is! Just what you requested. The "solid evidence against Joe Biden, that will also need to be investigated."

Joe Biden is confessing to all of us, on video, that he has illegally used his office as Vice President to hold up loan guarantees to Ukraine so that his son, Hunter, won't be investigated for corruption there.

I wonder why there has not been a "special prosecutor" named to look into this, like Mueller or Durham? And why wasn't there a Special Counsel to look into Hillary's private server that she deleted was under subpoena by Congress? Isn't that called "obstruction of justice"?

Why does "Justice", or "Just Is", only work against some people, but not others? Why doesn't Merrick Garland "do something" useful, like put Ray Epps in jail, or tell us how many federal agents were behind January 6th? Because they are all in the same fraternity.

As George Carlin said "They are all in the same club, and you ain't in it."
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

JohnHurt wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:34 pm Joe Biden is confessing to all of us, on video, that he has illegally used his office as Vice President to hold up loan guarantees to Ukraine so that his son, Hunter, won't be investigated for corruption there.
I don't think that's true. I realize it has been spun that way, but if they had video evidence of Joe Biden doing that, impeachment proceedings would have started on Day One.

I think this summary is accurate:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... d-ukraine/
• Hunter Biden did hold a directorship for a Ukrainian gas company while his father was vice president. Experts agree that Hunter Biden's acceptance of the position created a conflict of interest for his father.

• Vice President Joe Biden did urge Ukraine to fire its top prosecutor, with the threat of withholding U.S. aid. But that was the position of the wider U.S. government, as well as other international institutions.

• We found no evidence to support the idea that Joe Biden advocated with his son's interests in mind, as the message suggests. It's not even clear that the company was actively under investigation or that a change in prosecutors benefited it.
Here's what is true: Donald Trump held up military aid to Ukraine, insisting that Ukraine announce they were investigating Hunter Biden in time for the 2020 election. That is why Donald Trump was impeached the first time. He did not ask them to actually conduct an investigation, just to announce that they were doing so, publicly. A real investigation, done in private, would not do.

He sent people who worked for his campaign, including Giuliani, to override decisions made by ambassadors and the diplomatic staff. They testified about this during the impeachment, all of this is very well documented.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?