$24 billion more in war spending for the Ukraine

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

$24 billion more in war spending for the Ukraine

Post by Josh »

The Biden administration is asking congressional leaders for about $40 billion in new emergency spending, a request that’s sure to intensify this fall’s already arduous government funding fight.

The cash that President Joe Biden requested formally on Thursday includes more than $24 billion in aid to Ukraine, $12 billion to replenish a dwindling pot of federal disaster relief and $4 billion to address issues at the southern border, like shelter and services for migrants and counter-fentanyl efforts.
Hard working families are facing ever rising inflation and prices and layoffs. Meanwhile $4 billion funnelled to the border for “services” for “migrants”?

And $24 billion for more weapons for the war? When is this going to stop?
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: $24 billion more in war spending for the Ukraine

Post by joshuabgood »

Josh wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:44 pm
The Biden administration is asking congressional leaders for about $40 billion in new emergency spending, a request that’s sure to intensify this fall’s already arduous government funding fight.

The cash that President Joe Biden requested formally on Thursday includes more than $24 billion in aid to Ukraine, $12 billion to replenish a dwindling pot of federal disaster relief and $4 billion to address issues at the southern border, like shelter and services for migrants and counter-fentanyl efforts.
Hard working families are facing ever rising inflation and prices and layoffs. Meanwhile $4 billion funnelled to the border for “services” for “migrants”?

The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

It won't stop as long as Biden is president. When Biden came into office, we had 1.4 % inflation, energy independence, record low gas and grocery prices, no supply chain issues, no participating in a proxy war, low migrants flooding our borders,etc. We had a big mouthed, brash, unpredictable president, who world leaders, such as Putin feared. It kept our nation and other nations out of war. But our nation knew when they elected the current president, that he was a warmonger. And now it seems like our nation is paying billions in funding a war, possibly as a pay off to Zelenski, to protect the Biden family and it's involvement in corruption in Ukraine.
0 x
Marylander
Affiliation: Alien

Post by Marylander »

Grace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:18 am

It won't stop as long as Biden is president. When Biden came into office, we had 1.4 % inflation, energy independence, record low gas and grocery prices, no supply chain issues, no participating in a proxy war, low migrants flooding our borders,etc. We had a big mouthed, brash, unpredictable president, who world leaders, such as Putin feared. It kept our nation and other nations out of war. But our nation knew when they elected the current president, that he was a warmonger. And now it seems like our nation is paying billions in funding a war, possibly as a pay off to Zelenski, to protect the Biden family and it's involvement in corruption in Ukraine.
Do you have anything positive to say about President Biden? How about for every negative you give a positive.
0 x
Marylander

Post by Marylander »

How does someone who made big bucks working for the tech industry know anything about what a Walmart cart pusher faces? Matter of fact, Mennonites can't really relate due to our wealth.

Also as Mennonites, government budgets aren't our sphere.
Last edited by ohio jones on Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove personal information
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Some Mennonites and Anabaptists can relate well to poorer folks. If anyone ever needs help in eastern Ohio, I’ll help you find a good doctor that takes Medicaid, when the county farmers market has a special day to take WIC coupons, how to get extra points from your Medicaid plan you can use to buy diapers, and how to get help with your electric bill.

As far as when a Christian finds some wealth… I think it should be distributed to brothers and sisters in need. There are plenty of needy brethren amongst us buried in debt.

I came to this view after meeting some brethren (formerly Old and currently Common ones) who told me, “How can we share the gospel to our neighbours on Medicaid if we can’t relate to them at all? So we decided we should make sure we don’t earn money over the poverty line.” (They structured their business to give the excess away in various forms.) I was inspired by this example, although I would hesitate to say every Christian family should live at or below the poverty line. But it’s something many of us should be more open to.
1 x
Marylander

Post by Marylander »

Josh wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:59 am Some Mennonites and Anabaptists can relate well to poorer folks. If anyone ever needs help in eastern Ohio, I’ll help you find a good doctor that takes Medicaid, when the county farmers market has a special day to take WIC coupons, how to get extra points from your Medicaid plan you can use to buy diapers, and how to get help with your electric bill.

As far as when a Christian finds some wealth… I think it should be distributed to brothers and sisters in need. There are plenty of needy brethren amongst us buried in debt.

I came to this view after meeting some brethren (formerly Old and currently Common ones) who told me, “How can we share the gospel to our neighbours on Medicaid if we can’t relate to them at all? So we decided we should make sure we don’t earn money over the poverty line.” (They structured their business to give the excess away in various forms.) I was inspired by this example, although I would hesitate to say every Christian family should live at or below the poverty line. But it’s something many of us should be more open to.
So you are choosing voluntary poverty which really isn't that noble. Some of the wealthiest Mennonites I encounter are also the most philanthropic. Teach a person to fish... instead you're creating a situation just like Haiti

Bruderhofers also take a vow of poverty and they are also wealthy. Their mothers take WIC and they receive lots of government benefits all the while decrying the beast...yet bleeding it at the same time.
Last edited by Marylander on Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Marylander wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:11 am
Do you have anything positive to say about President Biden? How about for every negative you give a positive.

I can't help that the facts about Biden are so negative.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Marylander wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:50 am So you are choosing voluntary poverty.
No, I haven’t. Our original plan (which we did for several years prior) was to give away the extra or else use it for group goals instead of spending it on personal desires.

However, the last year has been quite poor and there hasn’t been any extra to give away for about 13 months.
Bruderhofers also take a vow of poverty and they are also wealthy. Their mothers take WIC and they receive lots of government benefits all the while decrying the beast...yet bleeding it at the same time.
As you may have noticed, my political position is that Christians don’t need to be campaigning against every and any kind of state aid, although I think Christians should try to help meet whatever needs they see. In my church, accepting state aid (if eligible and willing working full time, which happens to be a requirement for most aid anyway) is considered humbling one’s self and whilst not ideal is often the best way to meet certain needs, especially medical ones.

I would also dare say Bruderhofers are not “wealthy”. It is no different than a corporation which has good financials but many of their employees aren’t making a lot of money and qualify for state aid.

Incidentally I don’t think the current CMS and Medicaid/Medicare situation in America is sustainable, but I also don’t think it’s a sensible nor Christlike political position to holler that people who don’t make very much money should be denied medical care, which is what many of my politically conservative friends seem to think.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

The Biden administration is asking congressional leaders for about $40 billion in new emergency spending,
a request that’s sure to intensify this fall’s already arduous government funding fight.

^^Reprehensible.
Grace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:18 am It won't stop as long as Biden is president.
When Biden came into office, we had 1.4 % inflation, energy independence, record low gas and grocery prices, no supply chain issues, no participating in a proxy war, low migrants flooding our borders,etc. We had a big mouthed, brash, unpredictable president, who world leaders, such as Putin feared. It kept our nation and other nations out of war.

But our nation knew when they elected the current president, that he was a warmonger.

And now it seems like our nation is paying billions in funding a war, possibly as a pay off to Zelenski, to protect the Biden family and it's involvement in corruption in Ukraine.
i expect you’re correct, i would expand what you’re describing to include
career politicians/legacy politicians/uniparty. biden is not alone.

When W was in office, Iraq spending news was the same.
One report after another promising billions to the Iraq war effort, AND billions to rebuild Iraq.
[Has Iraq been rebuilt? (W promised Iraq would be glorious.)]

In my lifetime, i witnessed the number, “millions” in gov spending go from being an astonishing number, to “meh.”
Then, billions. Once multiple-trillions were on the table, i knew incompetence+corruption were guaranteed. Evil will be done.

Here it is: With trillions in mind, spending hundreds of billions is, “meh.”

1 Trillion ..
viewtopic.php?t=4096

No. i do not believe anyone in Congress or the White House is competent to even understand what $1 Trillion dollars is.
The inmates are running the asylum. No accountability. Accountability is no longer possible.

As we all stand by to witness. Numb to the numbers.

An attempt to describe what $1 Trillion looks like:

Prayers for divine intervention. ✝️
Last edited by temporal1 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:35 am, edited 8 times in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN