$24 billion more in war spending for the Ukraine

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: $24 billion more in war spending for the Ukraine

Post by Josh »

I would add I don’t think this is just a Biden problem. Republican candidates have also promised billions in war spending. This is an America problem and a politics problem.

(If anyone would like to get back to me explaining my personal financial situation to Marylander, please raise your hand.)
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:44 pm
The Biden administration is asking congressional leaders for about $40 billion in new emergency spending, a request that’s sure to intensify this fall’s already arduous government funding fight.

The cash that President Joe Biden requested formally on Thursday includes more than $24 billion in aid to Ukraine, $12 billion to replenish a dwindling pot of federal disaster relief and $4 billion to address issues at the southern border, like shelter and services for migrants and counter-fentanyl efforts.
Hard working families are facing ever rising inflation and prices and layoffs. Meanwhile $4 billion funnelled to the border for “services” for “migrants”?

And $24 billion for more weapons for the war? When is this going to stop?
When will it stop? Probably when Russia decides to cease its genocidal war of conquest against Ukraine. And decides to live at peace with its neighbors.

In any event, much of the military aid that the US is sending is not new money. It is old equipment and arms paid for long ago that they are taking out of storage and shipping to Ukraine. All the Abrams tanks and Bradley fighting vehicles that they are sending? They are just pulling out of storage and sending them. The Pentagon puts a dollar value on them for accounting purposes, but they are not being replaced with new tanks. The US has vastly too many tanks in storage already due to downsizing and the fact that US forces have shifted away from them. The US Marines, for example, has mothballed all of its tanks.

And the $4 billion you are talking about going to the border? That is over 4 years and is mostly economic aid for border counties:
The Budget requests more than $1 billion to advance the President’s commitment to work with Congress to provide $4 billion over four years to address the root causes of migration and help the people of the region create safer, more stable futures in their home communities. Assistance would bolster localization efforts, enhance the rule of law, and support economic growth for all segments of society.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:19 am
Josh wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:44 pm
The Biden administration is asking congressional leaders for about $40 billion in new emergency spending, a request that’s sure to intensify this fall’s already arduous government funding fight.

The cash that President Joe Biden requested formally on Thursday includes more than $24 billion in aid to Ukraine, $12 billion to replenish a dwindling pot of federal disaster relief and $4 billion to address issues at the southern border, like shelter and services for migrants and counter-fentanyl efforts.
Hard working families are facing ever rising inflation and prices and layoffs. Meanwhile $4 billion funnelled to the border for “services” for “migrants”?

And $24 billion for more weapons for the war? When is this going to stop?
When will it stop? Probably when Russia decides to cease its genocidal war of conquest against Ukraine. And decides to live at peace with its neighbors.
I’m talking about America’s budget not Russia’s or Ukraine’s.
Why are we spending $24 billion on bombs and weapons?
In any event, much of the military aid that the US is sending is not new money. It is old equipment and arms paid for long ago that they are taking out of storage and shipping to Ukraine. All the Abrams tanks and Bradley fighting vehicles that they are sending? They are just pulling out of storage and sending them. The Pentagon puts a dollar value on them for accounting purposes, but they are not being replaced with new tanks. The US has vastly too many tanks in storage already due to downsizing and the fact that US forces have shifted away from them. The US Marines, for example, has mothballed all of its tanks.
$24 billion could be spent on a lot of other things than more bombs and guns.
And the $4 billion you are talking about going to the border? That is over 4 years and is mostly economic aid for border counties:
The Budget requests more than $1 billion to advance the President’s commitment to work with Congress to provide $4 billion over four years to address the root causes of migration and help the people of the region create safer, more stable futures in their home communities. Assistance would bolster localization efforts, enhance the rule of law, and support economic growth for all segments of society.
It would be even cheaper to just finish building the wall.
0 x
Marylander
Affiliation: Alien

Post by Marylander »

Josh wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:18 am I would add I don’t think this is just a Biden problem. Republican candidates have also promised billions in war spending. This is an America problem and a politics problem.

(If anyone would like to get back to me explaining my personal financial situation to Marylander, please raise your hand.)
I have family in tech making a lot of money...six digits and North and I will take concerns about the underserved in the US from someone other than a high salaried tech employee...and then go braying about the US budget aid for migrants.

I will assist a migrant any day over a complaining American. Their journey to the border alone is a testament to their resolve and determination.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:18 am I would add I don’t think this is just a Biden problem. Republican candidates have also promised billions in war spending.
This is an America problem and a politics problem.

To Grace, P.1:
.. i would expand what you’re describing to include
career politicians/legacy politicians/uniparty. biden is not alone.

When W was in office, Iraq spending news was the same.
One report after another promising billions to the Iraq war effort, AND billions to rebuild Iraq.
[Has Iraq been rebuilt? (W promised Iraq would be glorious.)]

It’s an American VOTING problem.
Most have no idea what they’re voting for, a good measure of that problem is outright deceit, double-talk .. .. add to that huge denial. Politicians now often openly describe their awful intents, many refuse to believe what they’re hearing. Not unlike old grisly fairy tales.

Of course, many don’t vote, some for faith beliefs.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh

Post by Josh »

Marylander wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:38 am
Josh wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:18 am I would add I don’t think this is just a Biden problem. Republican candidates have also promised billions in war spending. This is an America problem and a politics problem.

I have family in tech making a lot of money...six digits and North and I will take concerns about the underserved in the US from someone other than a high salaried tech employee...and then go braying about the US budget aid for migrants.

I will assist a migrant any day over a complaining American. Their journey to the border alone is a testament to their resolve and determination.
Marylander,

You keep taking jabs at my personal situation.

I am not a high salaried tech employee and haven’t been in over a year. My last employer went bankrupt and is now owned by one of its lenders with a skeleton staff left. I left my employer before that (the one you decided to bring up) 3 1/2 years ago. For the last 9 years, I spent 3 of them in construction making about $15/hr and the last year making less than that.

After I became a Christian, when I have made good money, I made a decision to focus on giving quite a bit away instead of getting used to making a big salary and spending it on myself. I think that was a good decision to make and don’t regret it.

I’m also technically a migrant myself - albeit one whose family didn’t use any special benefit programs and the journey wasn’t too arduous since we entered legally by plane. (Lots of other migrants do that too, although sometimes they fly to Mexico or Central America first and then try to get across the U.S. border.)
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Marylander wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:38 am I will assist a migrant any day over a complaining American.
Their journey to the border alone is a testament to their resolve and determination.
Many of the journeys are about promises so great, people become willing to sacrifice, tear up their families, risk everything, commit crimes, illegally cross international borders .. to be rewarded. They leave their homes and countries to waste without them (altho many send money+whatever possible back home).

It’s a horrible situation, i hold Congress primarily responsible. Over decades. Career politicians, both parties.

The whole thing is as ugly and unforgivable as the for-profit corporate abortion industry.

Honduras Keiser has written candidly about how this looks to him - in Honduras.
i could probably locate some of it if you’d like.

As well, U.S. citizens are generous! - as you describe yourself. This is as it should be, for Christians, as it must be.

Poor, thoughtless, godless, self-serving gov actors are the problem.
Poor policies - esp policies that bait the vulnerable to commit crimes! - are unconscionable.

The U.S. has no excuse for having border problems. U.S. borders/policies should be a settled issue. No mystery. No grey areas.

We the people are being lied to and misled. Over decades.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Marylander

Post by Marylander »

Josh wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:52 am
Marylander wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:38 am

Marylander,

You keep taking jabs at my personal situation.

I am not a high salaried tech employee and haven’t been in over a year. My last employer went bankrupt and is now owned by one of its lenders with a skeleton staff left. I left my employer before that (the one you decided to bring up) 3 1/2 years ago. For the last 9 years, I spent 3 of them in construction making about $15/hr and the last year making less than that.

After I became a Christian, when I have made good money, I made a decision to focus on giving quite a bit away instead of getting used to making a big salary and spending it on myself. I think that was a good decision to make and don’t regret it.

I’m also technically a migrant myself - albeit one whose family didn’t use any special benefit programs and the journey wasn’t too arduous since we entered legally by plane. (Lots of other migrants do that too, although sometimes they fly to Mexico or Central America first and then try to get across the U.S. border.)
My apologies, Josh, for misunderstanding your situation.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Marylander wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:36 pmMy apologies, Josh, for misunderstanding your situation.
Thank you. I think it may be a good idea to show a bit more respect for each other's political opinions and also respect for whatever their personal situation may be, and refrain from trying to dig up personal details on someone in order to somehow "catch" them. The treatment I just endured in this thread is precisely why I don't like to speak about what I am doing in my personal life more.
0 x
Marylander

Post by Marylander »

Josh wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:45 pm
Marylander wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:36 pmMy apologies, Josh, for misunderstanding your situation.
Thank you. I think it may be a good idea to show a bit more respect for each other's political opinions and also respect for whatever their personal situation may be, and refrain from trying to dig up personal details on someone in order to somehow "catch" them. The treatment I just endured in this thread is precisely why I don't like to speak about what I am doing in my personal life more.
Josh, I was not trying to "catch" you. I was trying to understand.

My Holdeman colleagues are financially well off and with your past career I didn't understand why you weren't and it's news to me that Holdeman's take government assistance.

And yes it might be advisable not to divulge so much online😋
0 x