Claims about treatment of January 6th defendants

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Claims about treatment of January 6th defendants

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:22 am I think our country needs to stop engaging in indefinite detention, beating prisoners, and withholding access to medical care and a chaplain and visitors.

The fact the victims of this are painted as enemies of the state or “insurrectionists” doesn’t justify any of this.
Are these things true? What evidence is there for these claims?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Claims about treatment of January 6th defendants

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:21 am
Josh wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:22 am I think our country needs to stop engaging in indefinite detention, beating prisoners, and withholding access to medical care and a chaplain and visitors.

The fact the victims of this are painted as enemies of the state or “insurrectionists” doesn’t justify any of this.
Are these things true? What evidence is there for these claims?
That depends. What is acceptable evidence to you? Obviously, left-leaning news outlets don’t want to report on this.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:26 am That depends. What is acceptable evidence to you? Obviously, left-leaning news outlets don’t want to report on this.
Let's start with "indefinite detention", the first claim you nade.

Who was "indefinitely detained", and why? Was anyone ever detained without charges, or detained in a way that they would not have been for other, similar crimes? If so, who, and how can we learn about this person? What evidence shows us this is true?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:35 am
Josh wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:26 am That depends. What is acceptable evidence to you? Obviously, left-leaning news outlets don’t want to report on this.

Who was "indefinitely detained", and why? Was anyone ever detained without charges, or detained in a way that they would not have been for other, similar crimes? If so, who, and how can we learn about this person? What evidence shows us this is true?
Being confined into solitary confinement for 23 hours a day, beaten, refused access to chaplains or mail, and the only person you’re allowed to see would be your lawyer for weekly or so visits.

The indefinite detention stopped once the Republicans took control of Congress.

I don’t think political foes should be tossed into jail for 2 years simply for being political foes. And none of these people should have been beaten or placed in solitary for no reason. They were, in effect, political prisoners. And believe me, this poor treatment makes a lot of folks like myself who are otherwise very sceptical of the 1/6 protesters a lot more sympathetic, simply because we don’t believe our country should run political prisons.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

FWIW there is a Mennonite adjacent lady currently on trial for her January 6th actions. The below may be interesting to some and is a public document. The defense specifically notes defendant was wearing a head covering as Mennonites do. (Perhaps as symbol of authority - as she objects she was being obedient to President Trump.)

https://casetext.com/case/united-states ... ONpltH3vL4
Defendant's attempts to sidestep the uniform rejection of arguments resembling hers by Judges on this Court fail. First, defendant limply urges that the holding of Chrestman does not apply here because of the different charges faced by the two defendants, as well as the factual differences in their alleged conduct, including that Eicher “carried no weapon,” and wore only “a hair covering worn consistent with her Mennonite faith,” in contrast with the helmet worn by the defendant in Chrestman. Def.'s Opp'n at 2. These factual distinctions do not provide any coherent reason why former President Trump could be endowed with the legal authority to preemptively waive all criminal laws as applied to this defendant, but not the defendant in Chrestman. Second, defendant urges that Sheppard does not control because “the analysis of the Public Authority defense is more completely informed in light of” the former President's statements beyond his January 6, 2021, speech at the Ellipse, Def.'s Opp'n at 5, but, as already discussed, those statements all post-dated the conduct by defendant giving rise to the present charges and are therefore irrelevant.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

In other news, if her Dad was "the big guy" she would probably have plea bargained out by now.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:21 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:35 am

Being confined into solitary confinement for 23 hours a day, beaten, refused access to chaplains or mail, and the only person you’re allowed to see would be your lawyer for weekly or so visits.

The indefinite detention stopped once the Republicans took control of Congress.

I don’t think political foes should be tossed into jail for 2 years simply for being political foes. And none of these people should have been beaten or placed in solitary for no reason. They were, in effect, political prisoners. And believe me, this poor treatment makes a lot of folks like myself who are otherwise very sceptical of the 1/6 protesters a lot more sympathetic, simply because we don’t believe our country should run political prisons.
Names please? Who are you talking about? With that information I can look up court records, investigations of the claims, etc. Anything at all that can be used to figure out if this is true?

I'm sure we agree that I shouldn't just believe whatever these Republicans are saying without at least some level of verifiable information.
0 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

joshuabgood wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:56 pm In other news, if her Dad was "the big guy" she would probably have plea bargained out by now.
I’m not quite following what you mean by this. That she wasn’t offered plea bargain—but would have been if she was the bishop’s daughter? (And he would have gotten her a better lawyer?) Or an I just being dense and it’s a comment on church leaders’ tendency to pull special strings for their children?

Or is capitalized “Dad” is a reference to God (in conjunction with the headcovering authority in the previous post)?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Pelerin wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:59 pm
joshuabgood wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:56 pm In other news, if her Dad was "the big guy" she would probably have plea bargained out by now.
I’m not quite following what you mean by this. That she wasn’t offered plea bargain—but would have been if she was the bishop’s daughter? (And he would have gotten her a better lawyer?) Or an I just being dense and it’s a comment on church leaders’ tendency to pull special strings for their children?

Or is capitalized “Dad” is a reference to God (in conjunction with the headcovering authority in the previous post)?
The thread is in Politics, not Anabap Theology/Practice, so you're huntering in the wrong department for an explanation. :geek:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:19 pm Names please? Who are you talking about? With that information I can look up court records, investigations of the claims, etc. Anything at all that can be used to figure out if this is true?

I'm sure we agree that I shouldn't just believe whatever these Republicans are saying without at least some level of verifiable information.
You can find any of this info out with a simple Google search.
0 x