Canada's 2016 Immigration Surge

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Canada's 2016 Immigration Surge

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:
Jazman wrote:Does this fit the narrative you're trying to build with a snippet you heard? Watch: President Obama On Trump Win, Clinton Loss
My wife saw Obama say it last September before Trump won, so no, that link does not apply.
Since this is a peacemaking thread, let me take it back to that theme: we are surrounded by hundreds or thousands of claims about politicians people want us to hate, and a lot of these claims are not true. These days, checking facts is easier than it ever has been. But people keep repeating these claims without checking the facts, and sometimes even get offended if you check the facts for them or ask them to provide evidence.

Effectively, we've said that slander and libel are fine, but asking someone to back their claims is not. We've said that people should not get in the way of spreading hostile lies about other people. If we want to be peacemakers, we can't spread vicious lies about other people. Part of that is being vulnerable to facts so we know which things are lies, and not insisting that something is true if there is not good evidence.

Let's face it, as humans, we often think we saw things that we did not see. At a family reunion, people sit around remembering doing something together, and we each remember it a little differently. Someone gets convicted of a crime based on DNA evidence, then DNA evidence proves they were innocent.

I recently talked to someone who had heard Donald Trump back when he said that if he were to run for president, he would run as a Republican, because They're the dumbest group of voters in the country. They believe anything on Fox News. I could lie and they'd still eat it up. But he did not say that, and groups like Snopes research these things and tell you whether it happened or not.

I think a little humility about what we know and honesty when confronted with facts is an important part of peacemaking. Of course, vicious truth can be just as bad as vicious lies. We need both civility and truth.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Canadian Immigration thread. :D
but that's ok.
Last edited by temporal1 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:Canadian Immigration thread. :D
Oops, I distinctly remembered it being the peacemaking thread ... :oops:
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote:
george's old-timers complaints are getting around. :lol:
0 x

UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
So ... does that help make my point about human memory?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

temporal1 wrote: as Gene sometimes comments, much of today's present (political lying) was initiated by Bill Clinton while he was in the White House. the trickle-down effect has run through politicians+media ever since.
Somebody needs to take a history lesson. Even a cursory review of political history reveals plenty of examples of unscrupulous politicians ever since before this country was organized.
temporal1 wrote: law degrees in elected office probably should be kept at a minimum.
It would be interesting to hear some sound reasoning explaining this theory. To me it seems more arrogant than well reasoned, with folks who've never run so much as a 100 person organization seemingly thinking they have much more common sense than some elected official and could do that official's job better than he can.
temporal1 wrote: "i suppose" .. means this is my thought, not a fact i will research. :)
i view MN as a chat room for folks to share their thoughts, along with facts, to learn together.
to explain my position, i do not view MD/MN as a classroom in which i am seeking a passing grade from a designated headmaster.
It is critically important that fact be the basis for our thoughts. In fact, we are commanded to speak the truth rather than falsehood (see Ephesians 4:25). Slandering others is not Christlike, and recklessly posting or stating our negative opinions about others without having a basis in fact is gossip and slander.
[bible]Ephesians 4,25[/bible]
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Oops, I distinctly remembered it being the peacemaking thread ... :oops:
So ... does that help make my point about human memory?
your point was unnecessary, as i, and others, regularly admit my/our fallibility (fallibilities.)

in casual conversation, i believe it's acceptable, and can be constructive, to share one's beliefs/views, even if they would not meet the standards of classroom, or professional opinions, which, naturally, require "reliable sources." i am an unreliable source. :)

max's wife, from his description, "caught" the same moment in time obama spoke.
as i said, he was taking a question from a reporter; it was a moment, not an official scripted announcement. her description matched mine.

this is not the only time similar has happened, post-internet.
i do not believe the internet is "forever." information is manipulated, even "scrubbed."

just because i can't locate something on the internet does not prove it never happened.
it would be helpful if that were true. it's not.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ken, respectfully, i'm not up to it. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

temporal1 wrote:ken, respectfully, i'm not up to it. :)
No worries. Please for give me, I'm afraid my tone was a bit sharper than it should have been.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:in casual conversation, i believe it's acceptable, and can be constructive, to share one's beliefs/views, even if they would not meet the standards of classroom, or professional opinions, which, naturally, require "reliable sources."
I agree - if these are views about the best way to make brownies, how to understand a biblical text, how to raise children, etc.

But not when it comes to gossip and slander. The Bible has a lot to say about how we speak about other people - in fact, it's one of the things it talks about most. Truth matters. Slander is not acceptable and constructive. If you have a list of people you really don't like, and you speak in a way that leads other people to really dislike the same people, you should be especially careful. Particularly when talking about those people.

Let's not encourage gut-level hatred against Trump or Obama or anyone else. Let's check our facts before spreading anything that might not be true. Even if something is true, let's think about why we are passing it on. I get emotional about these things too, and I really need to be careful. I appreciate any support others have to give me in this.

I am very much hoping that Trump will rise to the occasion and do much better than I would have predicted during the election. I have no desire to poison his presidency. I do not condemn those who voted for him. Let's not do culture wars. Let's not adopt culture wars as an excuse to do libel and slander and spread hostility.
0 x