Canada's 2016 Immigration Surge

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Canada's 2016 Immigration Surge

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:have you heard anything about the obamas' plans? he said, in the event, he would consider moving to Canada.
Do you have a reliable source for that? When and where did he say that?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:have you heard anything about the obamas' plans? he said, in the event, he would consider moving to Canada.
i thought it would be easy to find, as i witnessed obama speak these words on a news report video myself, however, what i found were reports like this, i.e., Josh Earnest, attempting to back-track obama's words:
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/sus ... nald-trump

i heard him say it myself, it was weeks prior to the debates, he was not making an announcement, but, this was in response to a question from (reporters, as i recall) he stated, in the event of a Trump presidency, he would consider moving to Canada. i did not sense this was "dubbed-over."

since i recall your statement (to the effect that) nothing ever disappears from the internet, no need to repeat it here. thank you, anyway. :)

i noticed Snopes stated he did not say it, but, Snopes has been discredited, too.
so i did not read it.

i do not expect anyone to view me as a reliable source, but, this is my statement about what i saw and heard. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:i noticed Snopes stated he did not say it, but, Snopes has been discredited, too.
The quote seems to come from a satire magazine:

http://www.snopes.com/obama-moving-to-canada/

I think almost any source of reliable fact has been "discredited" by the culture wars. So what happens is people start believing in whatever "feels" like it might be true about people based on how they feel about the people they are talking about. That's one of the big thing that fuels the culture wars. The Bible calls it slander. There's plenty of slander in all directions, of course, with lies about any public figure.

We need statistics, quotes that can be traced to the original source, science, legal evidence, and other things that keep us honest. Without them, most of us just believe whatever we want to believe. That's why people attack sources of truth so heavily. Fact checkers are a whole lot more reliable than the people whose facts they are checking.
Last edited by Bootstrap on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i heard and saw it myself, so, accusations of slander do not resonate with me on this.

Boot, you must be reeling in pain and disappointment.
you voted for obama twice, and spoke bitterly about Trump.

i have no desire to make this adjustment more painful for you, or others. just the opposite.
i'm sorry for your loss and pain.

i was as shocked as any other about the election results.
grateful it was not close or contested.

i will be praying for you going forward.
you know all the right words of faith to say, now comes the test on them.

no one who lives long enough goes without being tested. no one.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:i heard and saw it myself, so, accusations of slander do not resonate with me on this.
Your memory is never wrong? That would make you different from all other human beings. I doubt my own memory when it comes to this kind of thing, I often misremember quotes too. After all, Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca, but most people think he did. As Sherlock Holmes said, "the faintest ink is clearer than the strongest human memory". At least, I think he said that. I should probably check ...

I really think it has to be possible to check sources and see if someone actually said something or not. I usually double check my sources before posting this kind of claim so that I'm not saying false things about other people.
temporal1 wrote:Boot, you must be reeling in pain and disappointment.
I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude toward Trump. Peter Feaver really speaks for me here. I didn't like either candidate in this election. We'll see how he turns out.

I'm not making any predictions. I'm not reeling in pain and disappointment, I'm waiting to see what kind of president he will be. I do have concerns. If you want to know what I'm feeling or thinking, I'd be happy to tell you, you don't have to speculate.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

temporal1 wrote:i heard and saw it myself, so, accusations of slander do not resonate with me on this.

Boot, you must be reeling in pain and disappointment.

i have no desire to make this adjustment more painful for you, or others. just the opposite.
i'm sorry for your loss and pain.

i was as shocked as any other about the election results.
grateful it was not close or contested.

i will be praying for you going forward.
you know all the right words of faith to say, now comes the test on them.

no one who lives long enough goes without being tested. no one.
My wife said she heard Obama say it in a snippet played on television. She was in the doctor's reception area at the time and they had one of those tvs playing a news channel. She thought it was quite odd that the President would say something like that. Very unpresidential.

Indeed, all must be tested regarding whether lives match words of faith.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

temporal1 wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
i thought it would be easy to find, as i witnessed obama speak these words on a news report video myself, however, what i found were reports like this, i.e., Josh Earnest, attempting to back-track obama's words:

i heard him say it myself, it was weeks prior to the debates, he was not making an announcement, but, this was in response to a question from (reporters, as i recall) he stated, in the event of a Trump presidency, he would consider moving to Canada. i did not sense this was "dubbed-over."

since i recall your statement (to the effect that) nothing ever disappears from the internet, no need to repeat it here. thank you, anyway. :)

i noticed Snopes stated he did not say it, but, Snopes has been discredited, too.
so i did not read it.

i do not expect anyone to view me as a reliable source, but, this is my statement about what i saw and heard. :)
Now about those UFOs you saw...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

temporal1 wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:

so i did not read it.

Does this fit the narrative you're trying to build with a snippet you heard? Watch: President Obama On Trump Win, Clinton Loss
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Jazman wrote: Does this fit the narrative you're trying to build with a snippet you heard? Watch: President Obama On Trump Win, Clinton Loss
My wife saw Obama say it last September before Trump won, so no, that link does not apply.

Post election, the players compete to appear to be the most gracious. That link references post election comments.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

gcdonner wrote:Now about those UFOs you saw...
:lol:
well, when i awoke to find this thread's OP report about Trump winning, the Canadian website crashing, that may have been my UFO-sighting moment!

it was early morning, like it is now, i was in disbelief.
to repeat, i was ignoring this election day, certain the results would be close+contested, for weeks, if not months! later, learning it was decided, same day, by 10:30 EST, such a surprise.

i hoped there would be no violence. i have read there has been some violence and some protesting, hopefully, it will not continue or worsen. thankfully, unlike the months leading up to this election, the elected do not seem to be fanning flames of violence in response.

naturally, some may feel confused+betrayed by this, i hope they are able to deal with it. esp to learn not to allow themselves to be used by politicians for violence going forward. it's-not-worth-it.

i'm much cut-off from news reporting right now, partly by choice, partly by being locked out of FB. i'm finding this so pleasant, i may not return. :D
MaxPC wrote:My wife said she heard Obama say it in a snippet played on television.
She was in the doctor's reception area at the time and they had one of those tvs playing a news channel. She thought it was quite odd that the President would say something like that. Very unpresidential.
Indeed, all must be tested regarding whether lives match words of faith.
yes. i suppose, this was another of obama's "going off the teleprompter moments," so, "his camp" decides this "really didn't happen;" we-the-people have become accustomed to this scenario of doing-then-denying.

as Gene sometimes comments, much of today's present (political lying) was initiated by Bill Clinton while he was in the White House. the trickle-down effect has run through politicians+media ever since. law degrees in elected office probably should be kept at a minimum.

"i suppose" .. means this is my thought, not a fact i will research. :)

i view MN as a chat room for folks to share their thoughts, along with facts, to learn together.
to explain my position, i do not view MD/MN as a classroom in which i am seeking a passing grade from a designated headmaster.

the world needs headmasters and classrooms. their lessons+opinions are important. outside their classrooms, not more important than others'. facts are important, but, how people discern and internalize information is important, too. some become lost when stepping outside the box, i pray for the Holy Spirit to comfort and guide.
Jazman wrote:Does this fit the narrative you're trying to build with a snippet you heard? Watch: President Obama On Trump Win, Clinton Loss
i'm sorry for your loss and pain. :(

i'm also sorry to read in your link, after obama used his position as POTUS to widely criticize Trump for his reality show experience, to now immediately use this same office to compare election campaigns to sports events (possibly, he sees these public spectacles as different?) i do not share this understanding.

as i said elsewhere, i appreciate when government leaders behave like responsible adults. :)

i'm glad obama chose to respond in a manner that reflects the magnanimous response he+his family enjoyed from the Bush family in 2008, and in the years following. obama enjoyed a great welcome, soon to include the preemptive surprise from Oslo.

i appreciated his honesty at the time, explaining he was not the Second Coming.
not many men have had to make such a statement, it's best they clarify when it happens.
in history, some have tried to ride that wave, it does not end well.
0 x

UNKNOWN