Hunter Biden Plea Deal

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Hunter Biden Plea Deal

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:08 pm It would be amazing to see certain people abandon partisanship and just be willing to say, you know, wrong is wrong, even if the people doing the wrong thing are in my preferred political party.
What "wrong" are you even talking about?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:23 pm
Josh wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:08 pm It would be amazing to see certain people abandon partisanship and just be willing to say, you know, wrong is wrong, even if the people doing the wrong thing are in my preferred political party.
Hiring your boyfriend for a lavish six-figure government job to prosecute the President when said boyfriend has zero prosecutorial experience (and ends up offering a bunch of plea deals most the defendants with no jail time). And then said boyfriend giving kickbacks to the district attorney who gave him the job with vacations to Aruba, Napa Valley, and luxury cruises.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I wonder why right leaning folks feel a need to defend Republicans, and left leaning folks feel a need to defend Democrats.

What if for the next month, everybody on MN who tends to defend either Republicans or Democrats, would defend persons of the opposite party against mischaracterization, false accusation, etc.? Possible???
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

A month? How about a day! Baby steps.

Which side should I defend? I feel like I criticize more than defend either side. But pitch me.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:44 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:23 pm
Hiring your boyfriend for a lavish six-figure government job to prosecute the President when said boyfriend has zero prosecutorial experience (and ends up offering a bunch of plea deals most the defendants with no jail time). And then said boyfriend giving kickbacks to the district attorney who gave him the job with vacations to Aruba, Napa Valley, and luxury cruises.
People are allowed to have private lives. And even go on vacations.

I'm not defending her. If she broke any laws I'm sure it will all come out. And she will appropriately face whatever penalties exist for the laws that she actually broke. If not, shrug. Just because you are asserting wrongdoing doesn't make it so. I haven't seen any legitimate allegations of crimes on her part but then I'm not actually obsessed with this trial.

Perhaps we should pay attention to the people who are actually on trial for real crimes.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:58 pmPeople are allowed to have private lives. And even go on vacations.

I'm not defending her. If she broke any laws I'm sure it will all come out. And she will appropriately face whatever penalties exist for the laws that she actually broke. If not, shrug. Just because you are asserting wrongdoing doesn't make it so. I haven't seen any legitimate allegations of crimes on her part but then I'm not actually obsessed with this trial.

Perhaps we should pay attention to the people who are actually on trial for real crimes.
Part of our system of justice (or at least Georgia's) is that a prosecutor who is engaging in corruption when prosecuting someone... well, the defence can raise that as a defence to that prosecutor's prosecution of them.

Don't you think that's a good thing?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:49 pm I wonder why right leaning folks feel a need to defend Republicans, and left leaning folks feel a need to defend Democrats.

What if for the next month, everybody on MN who tends to defend either Republicans or Democrats, would defend persons of the opposite party against mischaracterization, false accusation, etc.? Possible???
I did so quite prolifically during the Obama years, particularly in discussions with a few of our "resident" repeaters of right-wing clickbait. This forum was very heavily tilted towards right-wing perspectives back then.

Currently, the most prolific posters are not right-wing, and I feel a balance is needed. If this forum's posts become majority right wing again, I will be happy to offer more of the alternative perspective.

I also feel that, culturally, the left-wing view on abortion is prevailing too much, and that's a very bad thing. There doesn't need to be a lot of quarter given to people who explicitly claim they are Christians and also explicitly claim it's OK to take steps to encourage people to kill babies.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ernie wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:49 pm I wonder why right leaning folks feel a need to defend Republicans, and left leaning folks feel a need to defend Democrats.

I can not speak for others, but I work to speak the truth. If it defends or attacks either party, then so be it. I will not defend someone or party that I would have to lie or ignore core theological issues I have with it. I have theological issues with both the major parties and some with some of the minor parties.

I am often painted into a corner because one party is much further from me theologically and I state that. One can assume that this means I do not disagree with the other major party. That is not the case. I speak it that as and when the topic arises.

I easily see a two tier legal system in the federal, and some in state and local legal systems. The Bidens are just the brightest candle in that injustice currently. I see issues with in the Trump family too. This is why I do not think I will vote for either this election. I still plan on writing in Ramaswamy. I do not trust the vote counters to leave it blank. I suspect it might get filled in by either side.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:01 am
Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:58 pmPeople are allowed to have private lives. And even go on vacations.

Part of our system of justice (or at least Georgia's) is that a prosecutor who is engaging in corruption when prosecuting someone... well, the defence can raise that as a defence to that prosecutor's prosecution of them.

Yes, they are free to throw whatever they want at the wall and see what sticks. And the judge will sort it out.

Meanwhile perhaps you can connect the dots and explain how the fact that two people in a prosecutor's office are in a relationship means that the defendants are getting an unfair trial or are being treated unfairly.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Ken wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:27 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:01 am

Yes, they are free to throw whatever they want at the wall and see what sticks. And the judge will sort it out.

Meanwhile perhaps you can connect the dots and explain how the fact that two people in a prosecutor's office are in a relationship means that the defendants are getting an unfair trial or are being treated unfairly.
The argument is that Willis is using the Trump prosecution to enrich herself and Wade. I think the argument is very thin, but the optics are bad. Attacking Willis's personal life without any clear evidence of wrong doing is both unfair and a self-inflicted wound. Considering what's at stake Willis should have been aware that the defense would do anything they can to discredit her.
Last edited by Szdfan on Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford