Hunter Biden Plea Deal

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Hunter Biden Plea Deal

Post by Bootstrap »

Grace wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:05 pm
Pelerin wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:21 pm Can Congress just subpoena anyone? Judicial subpoenas have all kinds of rules and checks and balances. It doesn’t seem like Congress would just be able to subpoena private citizens for the kicks.
If that private citizen is linked to corruption involving the President of United Sates, they have every right to subpoena that person.
Well, that's what they want to prove. Might be a good idea to produce a report that will stand up to scrutiny before blowing all the trumpets. Traditionally, that's how it's done. Remember how quiet things were while Mueller was investigating?
Grace wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:05 pmIf a private citizen sold access for profit around the world to the detriment of American interests, they can be subpoenaed. If President Biden is compromised by deals with foreign adversaries trough his son, and they are impacting his decision making, this is a threat to national security.
True. And if Trump is compromised in this way, that is a threat to national security. So the truth really matters here.

Here's what Ukraine thinks:

https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... ter-biden/
Ukraine’s security services arrested a national lawmaker who previously had ties to Rudy Giuliani on Monday, claiming that he was involved in an intelligence operation on behalf of the Russian government.

Parliament member Oleksandr Dubinsky assisted Giuliani’s 2019 efforts in Ukraine to dig up political dirt against President Biden, specifically regarding his son Hunter Biden’s business in the country.

Dubinsky is accused of treason, as prosecutors allege he and others worked with Russian intelligence services to destabilize Ukrainian politics.
Former member of parliament Andriy Derkach and former prosecutor Kostiantyn Kulyk were also implicated in the scheme.

Dubinsky, Derkach and Kulyk were among seven Ukrainians sanctioned by the Treasury Department in 2021 for being part of a Russian misinformation ring that attempted to smear Biden in 2019.

The Treasury Department said Dubinsky’s involvement was “designed to perpetuate these and other false narratives and denigrate U.S. presidential candidates and their families.”

Both Derkach and Kulyk fled the country, SBU said, long before the indictment. If convicted, the charges carry a 15-year sentence.
The House has been doubling down on these same narratives.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Pelerin wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:16 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:38 pm
Pelerin wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:21 pm Can Congress just subpoena anyone? Judicial subpoenas have all kinds of rules and checks and balances. It doesn’t seem like Congress would just be able to subpoena private citizens for the kicks.
Who is going to stop them?
Hunter Biden? I mean I could subpoena you but if you don’t show up at my house there’s nothing I can really do about it because I don’t actually have the power to subpoena you. It looks like that’s what Hunter Biden decided was the case here as well? That Congress doesn’t actually have the power to subpoena him.
Yes, I think that's right.

But if you subpoena me, I'm happy to come to your house. Let me know if I should bring dessert or something.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

If that private citizen is linked to corruption involving the President of United Sates, they have every right to subpoena that person. If that private citizen has involved the Vice President in international business dealings and activities that may have compromised U.S. national security and the president's ability to lead with impartiality, they can be subpoenaed.

Remember there are those in the Biden family that have a pattern of peddling access to the highest levels of government to enrich themselves, often to the detriment of the United States. Through Hunter Biden, the Biden family and associates have a money trail miles long which consists of many complex, international transactions worth millions of dollars, when they had no company, no services provided, nothing. The country's citizenry have a right to know whether the President’s connections to his son's business deals occurred at the expense of American interests and whether they represent a national security threat.

Add to that Joe Biden blatantly lied to the American people about his involvement in his family’s business schemes. The Biden family money schemes were built on Joe Biden’s political career and connections with him. If a private citizen sold access for profit around the world to the detriment of American interests, they can be subpoenaed. If President Biden is compromised by deals with foreign adversaries trough his son, and they are impacting his decision making, this is a threat to national security.

And lastly Hunter Biden is not just any private citizen. He was the bag-man for Vice President Joe Biden and the rest of the Biden Family, acquiring over 50 million from foreign nationals. Our adversaries knew Hunter was the conduit to the power structure of the United States government through the VP, Joe Biden. We now know that Hunter Biden rode along with his VP Dad on Air Force 2, thirteen times, to conduct business. How many private citizens have that privilege?
Those sound like some pretty serious crimes in which case the judicial system might be able to subpoena him—or not depending what they’re looking for the Fifth Amendment might prohibit it. But if we’re talking about investigating crimes then constitutionally that’s pretty explicitly outside of Congress’s purview.
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:41 pm
Hunter Biden is very much a gray area here. As a private citizen, Congress has no basis for subpoenaing him to testify about his own personal business ventures and taxes. The reason the House claims it is important for him to testify is because they assert that there are links between his business dealings and President Biden. However no such links have actually been demonstrated so essentially they are on a fishing expedition. And the fact that they want to do it behind closed doors basically gives away the game since the only reason to hold such a hearing behind closed doors is so that you can manipulate and lie about what was said. Since Hunter Biden is not a government employee testifying about confidential information which is the normal reason to hold closed door sessions.
Kind of like Adam Schiff did in the SCIF during Trump's impeachment hearings. Adam Schiff turned out to be a monumental liar from the get go.
0 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Ken wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:41 pmHunter Biden is very much a gray area here. As a private citizen, Congress has no basis for subpoenaing him to testify about his own personal business ventures and taxes. The reason the House claims it is important for him to testify is because they assert that there are links between his business dealings and President Biden. However no such links have actually been demonstrated so essentially they are on a fishing expedition.
So Congress could have the power to subpoena Hunter Biden but then questions would strictly have to be about Joe Biden’s involvement in his business?
0 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Bootstrap wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:21 pm
Pelerin wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:16 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:38 pm

Who is going to stop them?
Hunter Biden? I mean I could subpoena you but if you don’t show up at my house there’s nothing I can really do about it because I don’t actually have the power to subpoena you. It looks like that’s what Hunter Biden decided was the case here as well? That Congress doesn’t actually have the power to subpoena him.
Yes, I think that's right.

But if you subpoena me, I'm happy to come to your house. Let me know if I should bring dessert or something.
I might just have to subpoena a cheesecake then.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

If that private citizen is linked to corruption involving the President of United Sates, they have every right to subpoena that person. If that private citizen has involved the Vice President in international business dealings and activities that may have compromised U.S. national security and the president's ability to lead with impartiality, they can be subpoenaed.

Remember there are those in the Biden family that have a pattern of peddling access to the highest levels of government to enrich themselves, often to the detriment of the United States. Through Hunter Biden, the Biden family and associates have a money trail miles long which consists of many complex, international transactions worth millions of dollars, when they had no company, no services provided, nothing. The country's citizenry have a right to know whether the President’s connections to his son's business deals occurred at the expense of American interests and whether they represent a national security threat.

Add to that Joe Biden blatantly lied to the American people about his involvement in his family’s business schemes. The Biden family money schemes were built on Joe Biden’s political career and connections with him. If a private citizen sold access for profit around the world to the detriment of American interests, they can be subpoenaed. If President Biden is compromised by deals with foreign adversaries trough his son, and they are impacting his decision making, this is a threat to national security.

And lastly Hunter Biden is not just any private citizen. He was the bag-man for Vice President Joe Biden and the rest of the Biden Family, acquiring over 50 million from foreign nationals. Our adversaries knew Hunter was the conduit to the power structure of the United States government through the VP, Joe Biden. We now know that Hunter Biden rode along with his VP Dad on Air Force 2, thirteen times, to conduct business. How many private citizens have that privilege?
Yes, that is what Republicans in Congress are ASSERTING. You are good at transcribing what they say.

But to date they haven't uncovered a shred of evidence to support any of their assertions. So it is all just hot air.

The tell is that they are afraid to even have Hunter Biden testify in open session for all of us in the public to see. What are they afraid of? If they actually had the goods they should be jumping at the chance to show it all to the public.

Instead they want to hold some secret hearings that they can then spin however they want and lie about.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Grace

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:11 pm
The tell is that they are afraid to even have Hunter Biden testify in open session for all of us in the public to see. What are they afraid of?

Instead they want to hold some secret hearings that they can then spin however they want and lie about.
You must have missed my prior post. "Kind of like Adam Schiff did in the closed door, highly secretive SCIF, during Trump's impeachment hearings". Turned out Schiff was a flagrant liar, and a champion in spinning info. Starting with the Steele Dossier lie, Trump Russian collusion lie, just to name a few.

One thing the Oversight Committee has proven, that Joe Biden lied when he told the Americans that he knew nothing of Hunter's business dealings and that he never even discussed his business dealings either. We know that Hunter rode along on AF 2 thirteen times on business trips. To think that Hunter never discussed his business dealings while traveling with his Dad on a business trip, to meet with his business partners, is just ridiculous. We know that VP Joe Biden was on speaker phone when Hunter was with his business associates. We know that Joe Biden golfed with Hunter's business partners, met them at Cafe Milano, also in Dubai.

Republicans are not afraid of anything, as they have offered a public hearing after the one in private. The reason they want a private hearing first, is because they know that Democrats have no decorum and will turn the hearing into a three ring circus, just like they did yesterday. Every few minutes Jamie Raskin interrupted what Republicans were saying, with his constant whiny "point of order" "will the gentleman yield", ad nauseam. I don't know why Republicans gave it to him and didn't follow Byron Donald's example and not give him the opportunity to be rude and obnoxious.

0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:05 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:11 pm
The tell is that they are afraid to even have Hunter Biden testify in open session for all of us in the public to see. What are they afraid of?

You must have missed my prior post. "Kind of like Adam Schiff did in the closed door, highly secretive SCIF, during Trump's impeachment hearings". Turned out Schiff was a flagrant liar, and a champion in spinning info. Starting with the Steele Dossier lie, Trump Russian collusion lie, just to name a few.

One thing the Oversight Committee has proven, that Joe Biden lied when he told the Americans that he knew nothing of Hunter's business dealings and that he never even discussed his business dealings either. We know that Hunter rode along on AF 2 thirteen times on business trips. To think that Hunter never discussed his business dealings while traveling with his Dad on a business trip, to meet with his business partners, is just ridiculous. We know that VP Joe Biden was on speaker phone when Hunter was with his business associates. We know that Joe Biden golfed with Hunter's business partners, met them at Cafe Milano, also in Dubai.

Republicans are not afraid of anything, as they have offered a public hearing after the one in private. The reason they want a private hearing first, is because they know that Democrats have no decorum and will turn the hearing into a three ring circus, just like they did yesterday. Every few minutes Jamie Raskin interrupted what Republicans were saying, with his constant whiny "point of order" "will the gentleman yield", ad nauseam. I don't know why Republicans gave it to him and didn't follow Byron Donald's example and not give him the opportunity to be rude and obnoxious.
You are very good at transcribing Republican talking points.

But again, they don't have a shred of evidence to back up any of it. Not a shred. It is all nothing but a pile of assertions with nothing to back them up.

Now the story is that they can't even manage their own hearings in public? Sheesh. That one is even more ridiculous. They are the ones with the gavel. It is their hearing.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Grace

Post by Grace »

Now the story is that they can't even manage their own hearings in public? Sheesh. That one is even more ridiculous. They are the ones with the gavel. It is their hearing.
I agree that they mismanaged the hearing. First when Hunter and his entourage with cameras entered, they should have called the Sargent of Arms to have the Hunter clown show removed from the chamber immediately. Although that may have been up the Hunter's alley, as he constantly likes to project himself as a victim. Secondly, none of the Republicans giving their five minute speeches, should have allowed Jamie Raskin and others to constantly interrupt. Raskin was interrupting constantly. Chairman Comer should have called out the disgustingly sexist men who rudely interrupted Nancy Mace, while she was attempting to speak.
0 x