Amish and Welfare

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Poll: Tithes and Offerings

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:11 pm
ohio jones wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:09 pm More than a tithe of this thread has been off-topic argumentation, and I am offering to split that out if the OP wants.
I'm done....

Although it's not totally off-topic if social welfare programs replace the necessity of tithing. In which case your taxes become your tithe.
Going back on-topic, I don't see how having government social welfare programs "replaces" tithing, unless you're going to sit there and claim that government social welfare programs have 100% completely eliminated needs from existing.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:14 pmGoing back on-topic, I don't see how having government social welfare programs "replaces" tithing, unless you're going to sit there and claim that government social welfare programs have 100% completely eliminated needs from existing.
In both the Old and New Testament, one justification for tithing is to help the needy

For example, from Deuteronomy, one purpose of tithing was to help single mothers and widows:
At the end of every three years you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in the same year and lay it up within your towns. And the Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance with you, and the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, who are within your towns, shall come and eat and be filled, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands that you do.
And from Matthew, one purpose is to help the needy:
Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
If the government is already providing for single mothers, widows and the needy, that reduces the need to tithe, at least for those purposes. Of course nothing is 100% because the poor will always be with us. And welfare programs administered by the church aren't 100% either.
Last edited by Ken on Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

"In which case your taxes become your tithe."

:lol:

You might have good success, Ken, starting a megachurch and recruiting rich people and giving them sermons like that.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:56 pm "In which case your taxes become your tithe."

:lol:

You might have good success, Ken, starting a megachurch and recruiting rich people and giving them sermons like that.
You cut off the beginning and end of what I wrote:
....if social welfare programs replace the necessity of tithing. In which case your taxes become your tithe, or at least a part of it.
Which is an argument for either higher taxes or higher tithing. Probably not a winning argument for the rich either way.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

The wealthiest like Warren Buffet or Jeff Bezos all claim to support higher taxes. Probably because unlike the rest of us, they have plenty of money and can afford them.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:09 pm More than a tithe of this thread has been off-topic argumentation, and I am offering to split that out if the OP wants.
Yes, please do so.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"