Presidential Personal Travel

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Presidential Personal Travel

Post by Ernie »

Is there any website that lists US presidents and how much they cost taxpayers for personal travel while in office, in today's dollars? The last 10 presidents would be sufficient for what I am looking for.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Presidential Personal Travel

Post by Josh »

Nearly all of the cost is for security, which became a priority after Presidents started getting assassinated.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Ernie wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:09 am Is there any website that lists US presidents and how much they cost taxpayers for personal travel while in office, in today's dollars? The last 10 presidents would be sufficient for what I am looking for.

Wikipedia has this, but doesn't go back as far as 10 presidents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... _vacations
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:42 am Nearly all of the cost is for security, which became a priority after Presidents started getting assassinated.
Well yes, the Secret Service was established in 1865, but as an anti-counterfeit unit. Not until after the third of the four assassinations did the government take Presidential security seriously enough to permanently assign an agency to the task. Security has increased substantially in the last 60 years for reasons that have little to do with JFK (or Reagan for that matter).

With tech advances now allowing ordinary people to work from anywhere, let alone Presidents who have had at least some of those capabilities for a while, it's getting more difficult to determine what travel is actually personal. Just being away from the White House doesn't necessarily qualify.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited