Beware jumping on bandwagons

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Beware jumping on bandwagons

Post by temporal1 »

Take a deep breath and remember Truth is offered to all.
It was a big fail to allow some ideologues/shysters to get away with declaring “all lives matter” to be hateful words.
Resist bandwagons.

Will google searches back away from pushing this biased narrative?

No one should ever have to defend or apologize or fear saying, all lives matter.

“Simon of Cyrene: The Man Who Carried Jesus’ Cross”

My parents regularly warned against jumping on political bandwagons. Public schools, ditto.
Parents were unapologetic adults, so were school teachers, few adults were in the business of proving they were the coolest, trying to win popularity contests. Other than portraits of current presidents in principals’ offices, political banners+flags+logos were not displayed on school grounds. Students were not courted as voters, not instructed to pressure their parents for their votes.

Disclaimer: some coarse language in the video

Anton Daniels / “Black Lives Matter Went Bankrupt After Finessing Over $90 Million From White Guilt, Single Mothers” / 15min

Will banners+signs disappear from school hallways, church buildings, residential lawns? i hope so.

This topic is about the problems of political bandwagons in general, not just this one.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Beware jumping on bandwagons

Post by Szdfan »

Temp, so which bandwagons have you jumped on?
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Do you have anything to add to the OP, or just out for an afternoon troll? :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

temporal1 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:54 pm Do you have anything to add to the OP, or just out for an afternoon troll? :)
I’m asking you to be introspective. It’s easy to condemn others and attack others — it’s harder to look at oneself.

I’m interested in this topic because I teach a short unit on propaganda and informal fallacies. Bandwagon is a type of informal fallacy. I mostly use examples from advertising.

Examine yourself. I think most of us fall for informal fallacies at some time or other.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I think it is better manners to sit peacefully on them - no jumping.
1 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

RZehr wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:52 am I think it is better manners to sit peacefully on them - no jumping.
That's a little harder when the bandwagon is rolling down the street in a parade. 😝
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Szdfan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:26 am
temporal1 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:54 pm Do you have anything to add to the OP, or just out for an afternoon troll? :)
I’m asking you to be introspective. It’s easy to condemn others and attack others — it’s harder to look at oneself.

I’m interested in this topic because I teach a short unit on propaganda and informal fallacies. Bandwagon is a type of informal fallacy. I mostly use examples from advertising.

Examine yourself. I think most of us fall for informal fallacies at some time or other.
This topic is not your classroom. Do you have an example of a bandwagon you’d like to share?
Whether one you jumped on or not?

This is NOT an attack thread.

It’s not easy to resist jumping on bandwagons, certainly not the OP example. They ALWAYS begin with some attractive promise. Add in peer pressure, now strong pressures via social media and rampant in public schools .. well, look at the results in the OP. These shysters (with academia swooning) collected $90M in 1 year! Evidently, they spent double.

Yesterday, when i googled “all lives matter” the many results remain damning.

Yet, from the start, there were various conservative black individuals warning about it. They sensed a SCAM right away.
i didn’t. They did.

i listened to both “sides” .. then chose God’s way: all lives matter. Even knowing i could be attacked for it.
By men like you. And, google. :lol:

Major problem being, conservative views are not given the time of day.

Evidently, i hit a nerve.

Maybe i’ll do a related poll, to ask about how taken in forum members, their churches, schools, were/are.
Polls are anonymous. Members can be honest, joke, lie. And they do.

all lives matter. all black lives matter. i don’t go for organized political blocs+cults.
they ALWAYS begin with some attractive premise, then move directly into gaining political power AND access to the public treasury. they become powerful ENTITIES, not human.

i repeat this frequently. it’s important to distinguish the differences. cyberspace is full of charlatans and pirates.
many with degrees and “polish.” they talk a good game.
0 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:55 am It’s not easy to resist jumping on bandwagons, certainly not the OP example. They ALWAYS begin with some attractive promise. Add in peer pressure, now strong pressures via social media and rampant in public schools .. well, look at the results in the OP. These shysters (with academia swooning) collected $90M in 1 year! Evidently, they spent double.
I thought the OP example was Simon of Cyrene. Or maybe "all lives matter." Not quite sure how we got the swooning shysters involved. But yes, if you find yourself on a bandwagon, just sit calmly in the lawn chair.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:18 pm This topic is about the problems of political bandwagons in general, not just this one.
OK. So what is a political bandwagon? Can you give me a definition that we can use to examine anyone's posts, across the political spectrum, to see if they are promoting political bandwagons? A definition that would fit equally well whether or not you agree with the poster's opinions?

What can we do to examine our own posts and thinking to determine if we are playing "political bandwagon"?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:17 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:18 pm This topic is about the problems of political bandwagons in general, not just this one.
OK. So what is a political bandwagon? Can you give me a definition that we can use to examine anyone's posts, across the political spectrum, to see if they are promoting political bandwagons? A definition that would fit equally well whether or not you agree with the poster's opinions?

What can we do to examine our own posts and thinking to determine if we are playing "political bandwagon"?
I would say the most obvious are Trump or Biden (pro or con).

And by extension, any of their pet political issues.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr