Whose Children are They?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Whose Children are They?

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:09 pmI'm not simply talking about schools. I'm talking about everything from clean air and water to healthcare to economic opportunity. If you simply focus on schools you miss the bigger picture. Marlin TX is an example of a community that has basically been abandoned by the larger society, deliberately, and indirectly as a consequence of larger economic and political choices.
Well, yes, that's what decades of trying to export every decent job overseas so that Target can sell goods a few dollars cheaper does. And that has been fully embraced by both political parties in the present era, although Trump reversed that a bit and seemed far less enthusiastic about open borders and "free trade" than his Republican predecessors.

Likewise, there is no concern at all about the hollowing out of wages for the middle and lower middle class - instead, there are repeated cries from the donor class for more low-wage immigrants to come in to "do the jobs Americans won't do". The Americans actually trying to do jobs like in Marlin get forgotten - and their factory job probably already moved to China anyway. Now they have to compete for a low wage landscaping job with someone getting paid cash under the table. And this is also something that has been fully embraced by both political parties, although again, Trump tapped into some of this with his populist moves to restrict immigration.

But something to actually lift up the lower classes like mandatory E-verify and actual, real deportation of people working in America illegally? Nope. Instead, we have executives at Bank of America and JPMorgan complaining that interest rates aren't high enough because it's not causing enough people to want to be desperate to work for low wages.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

ohio jones wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:21 pm
Ken wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:01 pm I know Marshall.
Reading comprehension. :roll:
Marshall, Arkansas.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:13 pm
ohio jones wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:21 pm
Ken wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:01 pm I know Marshall.
Reading comprehension. :roll:
Marshall, Arkansas.
Yeah, I got that. I somehow assumed Marshall TX since you live near there now. Marshall, AR must be tiny since I never heard of it and I've done a lot of driving through and camping in Arkansas and had a daughter go to school there.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:58 pm Yeah, I got that. I somehow assumed Marshall TX since you live near there now. Marshall, AR must be tiny since I never heard of it and I've done a lot of driving through and camping in Arkansas and had a daughter go to school there.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Page 10:
Robert wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:48 am https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-high ... -graduate/
A high school in Marlin, Texas, postponed its graduation ceremony until June to allow students more time to reach graduation requirements.

According to CBS affiliate KWTX, 28 of 33 seniors at Marlin High School did not meet graduation requirements, and their attendance records and grades are to blame.

"The district has affirmed its commitment to providing necessary resources and support to students, and the new graduation date is seen as a testament to this commitment," The Marlin Independent School District said in a press release.

The district said research has shown "regular school attendance is a powerful predictor of student success." They recently moved to a four-day week in an effort to increase instruction and student engagement on the days when school is in session, while decreasing absences, according to the district's Chief Academic Officer Nikisha Edwards.

On Wednesday, there was a mandatory meeting for parents of seniors.

Meanwhile, Superintendent Darryl Henson said in a statement that the school's "commitment to excellence remains unshaken."

"We hold firm to our belief that every student in Marlin ISD can and will achieve their potential," he said. "Students will be held to the same high standard as any other student in Texas."

In the linked report, ATTENDANCE is cited as a major problem in this case. In a report i read elsewhere, they described a tech problem with getting a particular required lesson or test, which was to be corrected with the addition of a few school days.

The letter found in Robert’s news link:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

Now that is a complete load of bureaucratic hogwash right there. I promise you that Marlin ISD didn't switch to a 4-day week to improve attendance and improve "bell to bell" learning.

Moving to a 4-day work week was 100% a money-saving measure at the expense of students, nothing more. Keeping the school closed an extra day each week saves on all the classified hourly staff like cafeteria staff, custodians, bus drivers, etc. as well as utilities.

And for remote rural districts like Marlin it lets them keep teacher salaries lower because it is easier to attract teachers commuting in from outside the area if they only have to drive in to Marlin 4 days a week instead of 5 and get a 3-day weekend every week. Otherwise they would have to raise salaries higher to keep pace with surrounding suburban districts that pay more.

4-day school weeks actually make attendance WORSE, because each day of school a student misses is actually 25% more instructional time missed than on a 5-day week.

This topic has actually been studied extensively and 4-day school weeks have been shown to harm student achievement. Especially in poor and underprivileged districts where home-time is likely to be less educationally productive. From Education Week: https://www.edweek.org/leadership/4-day ... ks/2021/10
The tradeoff for those benefits, though, shows in learning. Several years after adopting a four-day schedule, the researchers found, those districts saw slower rates of student progress than similarly situated districts that retained a five-day schedule.
Also....https://hechingerreport.org/proof-point ... hool-week/
But now seven newer studies generally find negative results – some tiny and some more substantial. One 2021 study in Oregon, for example, calculated that the four-day week shaved off one-sixth of the usual gains that a fifth grader makes in math, equal to about five to six weeks of school. Over many years, those losses can add up for students.

The most recent of the seven studies, a preliminary paper posted on the website of the Annenberg Institute at Brown University in August 2022, is a large multi-state analysis and it found four-day weeks harmed some students more than others.

Researchers at NWEA, led by Morton, and at Oregon State University began by analyzing the test scores of 12,000 students at 35 schools that had adopted four-day weeks in six states: Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, North Dakota, and Wyoming. Like the more recent crop of studies, they found that four-day weeks weren’t great for academic achievement on average. The test scores of four-day students in grades three through eight grew slightly less during the school year compared to hundreds of thousands of students in those six states who continued to go to school five days a week. (City students were excluded from the analysis because no city schools had adopted four-day weeks. Only rural, small town and suburban students were included.)

The switch seemed to hurt reading achievement more than math achievement. That was surprising. Reading is easier to do at home while math is a subject that students primarily learn and practice in school. During pandemic school closures and remote learning, for example, math achievement generally suffered more than reading.
As a teacher I'd be happy to work a 4-day work week for purely selfish reasons. But I don't pretend it will improve student performance especially at high-poverty schools like Marlin. The evidence points in the opposite direction, especially for high-poverty districts.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Ken.
you posted about 11 times before reading the article? ..
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:00 pm Ken.
you posted about 11 times before reading the article? ..
I read the article.

I also know that actual town, having passed through there various times while living nearby and having known people who worked there.

This particular school district was actually taken over by state bureaucrats due to poor test scores back in 2016 and has been under the control of a state-appointed administrator ever since. https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/State ... 72091.html So all of this is under the watch of Governor Abbott and his appointees at the Texas Department of Education, including all the day-to-day decisions like switching to a 4-day week. Things have actually gotten WORSE under direct state management (or neglect), not better.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

.. whatever you say, Ken.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

temporal1 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:27 pm .. whatever you say, Ken.
:laugh :cry: :clap:
0 x