Coronation of King Charles

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Coronation of King Charles

Post by Ernie »

No Separation of Church and State in Great Britian

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gal ... n-pictures
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Coronation of King Charles

Post by Grace »

Ernie wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:37 am No Separation of Church and State in Great Britian

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gal ... n-pictures
Aside from all the pomp and glitz, on a different note, millions of people of all religions, watched the coronation. And with that they heard who we should put our ultimate trust in. A great God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

And with that they heard who we should put our ultimate trust in. A great God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
I didn't watch it or read about it so just asking from my ignorance- did they really give the gospel message? I know there was much pomp and ceremony but didn't' realize they gave the gospel message.
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

QuietlyListening wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:17 am
And with that they heard who we should put our ultimate trust in. A great God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
I didn't watch it or read about it so just asking from my ignorance- did they really give the gospel message? I know there was much pomp and ceremony but didn't' realize they gave the gospel message.

I didn't watch all of it, but from what I did watch, there was an emphasis the "Lord who sent His Son not to be served but to serve".
1 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Thanks
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Well... when we think of how Jesus came as a king and how he lived, I can't think of a more contrasting scene with conflicting values in which to share His Gospel. Communication is more than words. The medium maybe says more than the words in a setting like this. I'm not sure that the world actually "heard" the Gospel but rather something the opposite of it. It is hard for me to imagine any listeners coming away from this event, deciding to take up their cross and follow Jesus.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

The Brits sure do know how to do pomp - centuries of being an empire teach well. The ceremony was a beautiful yet grotesque blend of church and state, faith and force, liturgy and politics. A blatant remnant of how the church has been co-opted by power throughout much of European history.
1 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

By invoking God and Jesus amidst all that pomp sending the message “God really, really likes the royals and put them in power, therefore you show swear loyalty to them?”
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Ernie wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:36 am Well... when we think of how Jesus came as a king and how he lived, I can't think of a more contrasting scene with conflicting values in which to share His Gospel. Communication is more than words. The medium maybe says more than the words in a setting like this. I'm not sure that the world actually "heard" the Gospel but rather something the opposite of it. It is hard for me to imagine any listeners coming away from this event, deciding to take up their cross and follow Jesus.
You have a valid point. However sometimes God plants seeds from some very unconventional sources. Who is to say that someone who heard about “God sending His son” might attempt to learn more truth about “ God’s Son” and eventually learn the truth and take up their cross and follow Jesus?

We can put God in a box and think there are only certain ways God can work in people’s hearts, according to our human logic/traditions. But God is so much bigger than our human comprehension and works in ways, way beyond what we can even fathom.
1 x