Coronation of King Charles

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Re: Coronation of King Charles

Post by QuietlyListening »

I most definitely agree with all that was said about the pomp, ceremony and over the top extravagance of the coronation but I agree with Grace- we never know how God will use words spoken from His word or in His name will touch a heart. We may never hear if someone heard the Spirit speaking to his/her heart and because of this has a changed life.
So while I think it is not how the church should be portrayed, again like Grace said- God can use anything anytime when least expected.
1 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

QuietlyListening wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:23 pm So while I think it is not how the church should be portrayed, again like Grace said- God can use anything anytime when least expected.
On the one hand, I think it’s true that God can use anything. I’m not going to say that it’s impossible that the coronation brought someone closer to Christ.

On the other hand, I think it’s easy to confuse the pomp of a coronation in a cathedral with worship of God.

Part of the prosecutorial accusations against Israel in Isaiah 1 is their false worship:
Says the LORD.
“I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams
And the fat of fattened cattle;
And I take no pleasure in the blood of bulls, lambs, or goats.
12“When you come to appear before Me,
Who requires of you this trampling of My courtyards?
13“Do not go on bringing your worthless offerings,
Incense is an abomination to Me. New moon and Sabbath, the proclamation of an assembly—
I cannot endure wrongdoing and the festive assembly.
14“I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts,
They have become a burden to Me;
I am tired of bearing them.
15“So when you spread out your hands in prayer,
I will hide My eyes from you;
Yes, even though you offer many prayers,
I will not be listening.
Your hands are covered with blood.
The coronation of a King isn’t about God — it’s about the King and the power of the state. Invoking God in a service like this is about establishing legitimacy for the royalty, which is often called the “Divine Right of Kings.” In other words, God really likes the royals and wants them to be in charge.

This is a reason why I’m so skeptical about public, government sponsored invocations of God — it’s never really about God. Public worship frequently serves the State, not God.

Of course in the case of Charles III, this is all fantasy. The empire the coronation invokes doesn’t exist anymore and an increasing share of the British public views the royals as irrelevant and an unnecessary drain on public funds. It will be interesting to see if either Charles or William can capture the public imagination the way that Elizabeth did, but I’m skeptical.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

I agree with all you said, and in no way do I think the coronation was worship- I'm just saying that in all that pomp and ceremony as words were spoken God could use those in someone's heart. In spite of that fact that the whole coronation was not about God at all. That's all.
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.