Bill Barr on Trump

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Bill Barr on Trump

Post by Valerie »

Robert wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:31 am
Ernie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:02 am
Grace wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:51 amBill Barr might think another Trump presidency will be chaotic. But his past presidency was mild in comparison to what we have now. As Robert said:

Now add to that the debt limit chaos and Biden asking for a blank check for government spending.
The tribalism continues...
That is really unfair and insulting. She laid out her side clear and respectfully and this becomes a jab. The thing we are trying to cut down. State your case. Do not jab at someone else.

All government does now is uncontrolled spending. That is a fact. This is not tribalism.
Exactly. It was reported on the news that at the point we are at economically there's no way almost to avoid a recession. That is exactly the fault of this present administration. No tribalism here the reality that's going to hurt the entire country
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:03 pm That is exactly the fault of this present administration.
I have seen it in the past 4 administrations.
2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Grace wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:20 am
Grace wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:51 amBill Barr might think another Trump presidency will be chaotic. But his past presidency was mild in comparison to what we have now. As Robert said:

Now add to that the debt limit chaos and Biden asking for a blank check for government spending.
Not sure what your point is. Please explain.

The definition of tribalism; "Loyalty to a tribe or other social group especially when combined with strong negative feelings for people outside the group".
I think the present presidency and the one before it have both been very chaotic. People on MN have pointed out the chaos of both presidencies in hundreds of posts. So whenever people coalesce around a certain person and minimize his failed policies, while speaking disparagingly of another person and maximizing his failed policies, that looks like tribalism to me. If a person can candidly point out the benefits and the weaknesses of their preferred president/party without consistently minimizing his/its weaknesses, then I think of them as not being tribalistic.
Robert wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:09 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:03 pm That is exactly the fault of this present administration.
Here is an example of a non-tribalistic perspective.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Ernie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:31 pm
Grace wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:20 am
Not sure what your point is. Please explain.

The definition of tribalism; "Loyalty to a tribe or other social group especially when combined with strong negative feelings for people outside the group".
I think the present presidency and the one before it have both been very chaotic. People on MN have pointed out the chaos of both presidencies in hundreds of posts. So whenever people coalesce around a certain person and minimize his failed policies, while speaking disparagingly of another person and maximizing his failed policies, that looks like tribalism to me. If a person can candidly point out the benefits and the weaknesses of their preferred president/party without consistently minimizing his/its weaknesses, then I think of them as not being tribalistic.
Robert wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:09 pm
Here is an example of a non-tribalistic perspective.
I just believe the phrase tribalistic seems insulting.
We were talking about the present economic crisis in America. I suppose I come across as biased in not seeing it in the previous administration but since I work with the public in a store it seems everybody's complaining about the economy and they were not during the previous administration is that fair without sounding tribalistic?
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:40 pmI work with the public in a store it seems everybody's complaining about the economy and they were not during the previous administration is that fair without sounding tribalistic?
I don't remember what you thought whenever there were economic struggles during Republican presidencies. But if you laid the blame at the feet of the Republican President or Party at those times, then I would not consider you tribalistic in this arena.

What tribalistic people normally do is blame the present president for economic problems (if he happens to be part of a political constituency that they don't like). If the current president is part of the constituency that they like, and there are economic problems, then they blame his predecessor or a political constituency that they don't like. This has happened for centuries and I don't know of a political constituency that is free from this.

Bill Barr was very supportive of Trump and his policies until Trump crossed a line in his mind. Now Barr can hardly find anything good to say about Trump. What if Barr could have been a person of principle? (Someone who called Trump out for his weaknesses, and identified Trump's strengths while serving as AG.) We all know what would have happened.
The same is true in the present administration. Can you imagine a cabinet member speaking publicly about Biden's strengths and weaknesses? He wouldn't last long. In politics, loyalty is expected and required. It's all backslapping until someone crosses a line and then it is back-stabbing. Many of the rank and file in America get caught up in this as well, and this is what I refer to as tribalism.

(And we could start a thread about how this same scenario shows up in many churches. :-( )
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

If i thought the previous administration failed us in the economy, i would admit it.

If i believed the present administration is helping the economy in our country I would admit that as well. I'm not going to lie just to keep from sounding tribalistic.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Valerie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:26 pm If i thought the previous administration failed us in the economy, i would admit it.

If i believed the present administration is helping the economy in our country I would admit that as well. I'm not going to lie just to keep from sounding tribalistic.
Thank you Valerie, I agree.

On another note, I will give credit where credit is due. Although somewhat late in the game, Biden finally is addressing the border chaos.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -2020.html
1 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Grace wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:02 am
Valerie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:26 pm If i thought the previous administration failed us in the economy, i would admit it.

Thank you Valerie, I agree.

On another note, I will give credit where credit is due. Although somewhat late in the game, Biden finally is addressing the border chaos.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -2020.html
Thank the Lord for that because it is a heartbreaking crisis that was allowed to happen. And the guys of trying to help people it has really brought them harm so I'm thankful that he at least recognizes this at this point
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

Ernie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:11 pm
I don't remember what you thought whenever there were economic struggles during Republican presidencies. But if you laid the blame at the feet of the Republican President or Party at those times, then I would not consider you tribalistic in this arena.

What tribalistic people normally do is blame the present president for economic problems (if he happens to be part of a political constituency that they don't like). If the current president is part of the constituency that they like, and there are economic problems, then they blame his predecessor or a political constituency that they don't like. This has happened for centuries and I don't know of a political constituency that is free from this.

Bill Barr was very supportive of Trump and his policies until Trump crossed a line in his mind. Now Barr can hardly find anything good to say about Trump. What if Barr could have been a person of principle? (Someone who called Trump out for his weaknesses, and identified Trump's strengths while serving as AG.) We all know what would have happened.
The same is true in the present administration. Can you imagine a cabinet member speaking publicly about Biden's strengths and weaknesses? He wouldn't last long. In politics, loyalty is expected and required. It's all backslapping until someone crosses a line and then it is back-stabbing. Many of the rank and file in America get caught up in this as well, and this is what I refer to as tribalism.

(And we could start a thread about how this same scenario shows up in many churches. :-( )
LOL....And here I thought you were pointing your finger at me, as being a tribalist, when you responded to my prior posts.
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

Valerie wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:10 am

Thank the Lord for that because it is a heartbreaking crisis that was allowed to happen. And the guys of trying to help people it has really brought them harm so I'm thankful that he at least recognizes this at this point
We can only hope he follows through with the plan. Although it is so late in the game, as thousands are waiting at the border to enter right now.
0 x