Tucker Carlson Departs Fox News, Effective Immediately

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Tucker Carlson Departs Fox News, Effective Immediately

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:54 pm
Ernie wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:52 am And Twitter is now his platform.
More accurately, Twitter is anyone’s platform. You or I could go on Twitter and use it exactly like Tucker Carlson or anyone else does.

Musk has made it clear he doesn’t plan to engage in censorship and wants to see a wide variety of views on Twitter.
I should have said that Twitter is now the platform he is using.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Robert wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:40 pm
Jazman wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:34 pm
I find it sad, but somewhat laugh-worthy in a twisted ironic way... to note that the same crowd (trending baby-boomer / older) that decries millennials et al for having their noses in their devices... and can't concentrate, work, etc like 'real' old-timey americans! could... will now have their faces/noses even more firmly glued to media platforms like Twitter... because it's a tribal totem now! (but of course we know they had and have had their faces glued to these outlets before, hanging on every word...)
Instead of throwing barbs at others, speak for yourself.
Yeah, I see how I could have worded that better and not so harshly. Thanks for pointing it out and helping me rethink that approach.
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

temporal1 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:48 pm
Jazman wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:34 pm
Ernie wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:52 am And Twitter is now his platform.

https://twitter
I find it sad, but somewhat laugh-worthy in a twisted ironic way... to note that the same crowd (trending baby-boomer / older) that decries millennials et al for having their noses in their devices... and can't concentrate, work, etc like 'real' old-timey americans! could... will now have their faces/noses even more firmly glued to media platforms like Twitter... because it's a tribal totem now! (but of course we know they had and have had their faces glued to these outlets before, hanging on every word...)
Are you having a particularly hard day today? :?

Kayleigh McEnany: This is the hardest question to answer / 16:45min
✏️ Description:
Co-Host of Outnumbered on the FOX News Channel and former White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany joins Martha MacCallum to discuss her latest book, titled
“Serenity in the Storm: Living Through Chaos by Leaning on Christ.”
i’ve never followed Fox, TC, Twitter; i’m interested in this move by Fox.
i had no idea about Kayleigh as a Christian, i don’t look to politicians or news pundits for faith leadership. (i appreciate it when they don’t overtly defy, undermine, or hate Christians.)

:arrow: Correction:

Kayleigh McEnany Picked as the Next Fox News Host to Tryout for Tucker Carlson’s Old Time Slot
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kay ... 12858.html
No, I'm having a good day actually, but my opinion was poorly done (even if it might have some truth to it). I'm not sure what the McEnany thing is for... Do you like her and follow her? Her public character / track record isn't so stellar or exemplary, in my opinion. But I guess she does fit into the TC mold... lot's of lying (at least in the past) for personal gain / ambition. Hard to know if they're just cynical or they actually believe everything they say. If that's what people want, McEnany could be the ticket.

Finally, I'm not really impressed by public figures treating their own tribe nicely; everyone already does that. I'm more interested in their treatment of truth/reality and others not like themselves and other moral character issues like that.
1 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

I think the reality is that Twitter is a significant step down for TC. It will be interesting to see if Fox will enforce the non-compete clause of his contract. It's my understanding that he can't broadcast until his contract is paid out in 2025.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:59 am I think the reality is that Twitter is a significant step down for TC. It will be interesting to see if Fox will enforce the non-compete clause of his contract. It's my understanding that he can't broadcast until his contract is paid out in 2025.
Twitter gets more viewers than Fox News or CNN, which is why Musk bought Twitter and not some outdated TV station whose audience is primarily in the homes of people yelling at their TV, airports, and doctor’s office waiting rooms
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:59 am I think the reality is that Twitter is a significant step down for TC. It will be interesting to see if Fox will enforce the non-compete clause of his contract. It's my understanding that he can't broadcast until his contract is paid out in 2025.
All he has to do is be a guest on someone's show every night.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Jazman:
No, I'm having a good day actually, but my opinion was poorly done (even if it might have some truth to it).

I'm not sure what the McEnany thing is for... Do you like her and follow her?
Her public character / track record isn't so stellar or exemplary, in my opinion.

But I guess she does fit into the TC mold... lot's of lying (at least in the past) for personal gain / ambition. Hard to know if they're just cynical or they actually believe everything they say. If that's what people want, McEnany could be the ticket.

Finally, I'm not really impressed by public figures treating their own tribe nicely; everyone already does that.
I'm more interested in their treatment of truth/reality and others not like themselves and other moral character issues like that.
Regarding KM, i don’t know much about her, except i was impressed with the way she handled herself as press secretary,
especially her focus on LISTENING to questions as presented, then quickly+succinctly responding, referring to notes she appeared to READ, not just nervous theatrical page-turning. i saw her as capable and genuine, in spite of her young+glamorous outward appearance, which can be as much hindrance as anything. i wish her well.

i’m not aware of allegations of lying/ambition. not saying that’s not true. i’m not aware.
i added the news here because i thought possible TC replacements would be relevant to the topic.
i don’t believe i ever once watched the TC show, if there was one.

i agree with your final 2 sentences, and i believe most if not all on this forum would agree.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:47 pm
All he has to do is be a guest on someone's show every night.
I don't know the specifics of the contract, but is he allowed to?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:44 pm I don't know the specifics of the contract, but is he allowed to?
He has been the guest on several podcasts and makes speeches often while still employed. FNC would have to prove he is in breach by doing that since he has been a guest on many shows.

"Tucker Carlson's Friend Twittercast"

Have someone host at the very beginning then let TC rant. How could that be in breach since FNC does not have him allotted and he has free time?

All FNC can do is not pay him and I do not think he is hurting for money and may make more without them.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:42 pm
Szdfan wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:44 pm I don't know the specifics of the contract, but is he allowed to?
He has been the guest on several podcasts and makes speeches often while still employed. FNC would have to prove he is in breach by doing that since he has been a guest on many shows.

"Tucker Carlson's Friend Twittercast"

Have someone host at the very beginning then let TC rant. How could that be in breach since FNC does not have him allotted and he has free time?

All FNC can do is not pay him and I do not think he is hurting for money and may make more without them.
Perhaps. All of this is speculation because none of us actually know what's in the contract.
1 x