Christian Nationalism

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Christian Nationalism

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:23 pm If I understand that correctly:

- 11% of the Supreme Court is Jewish
- 8% of the Senate is Jewish
- 5½% of Congress is Jewish

What percentage are they of America as a whole?
Yes, Jews, Christians, white people, and men are all over-represented in government.

Do you think that is a problem?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:27 pm

Yes, Jews, Christians, white people, and men are all over-represented in government.

... you say "Christians" are over-represented. Over-represented relative to what?

America's identity in terms of religion is that of a "Christian" nation. Not the same religion I am, because I'm not an Episcopalian, etc. (nor do I believe in American exceptionalism).

Likewise, you say white people are over-represented in government. What would be the "right" amount of representation in your opinion?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:52 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:27 pm

... you say "Christians" are over-represented. Over-represented relative to what?

America's identity in terms of religion is that of a "Christian" nation. Not the same religion I am, because I'm not an Episcopalian, etc. (nor do I believe in American exceptionalism).

Likewise, you say white people are over-represented in government. What would be the "right" amount of representation in your opinion?
Relative to the population as a whole. Which is the same point you were making with respect to Jewish representation in government. I'm just following your train of thought. Or is it only the over-representation of Jewish people in government that you think worthy of comment?

The larger point is that Christian Nationalist types like Sean Feucht who was quoted in the original article are completely wrong. There is not an under-representation of Christians in government by whatever metric you want to use. If anything it is the opposite.
1 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

What's the percentage of atheists in the US population? How many atheists are in Congress or the Supreme Court?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Josh

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:07 pm What's the percentage of atheists in the US population? How many atheists are in Congress or the Supreme Court?
At this country's founding, atheists were considered unreliable witnesses since they had no fear of God nor a fear of eternal punishment, and thus were not able to run for office since they couldn't swear an oath of office.

I see no reason why this situation should change. Atheists are unreliable and untrustworthy. They have rejected truth itself.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:00 pm Relative to the population as a whole. Which is the same point you were making with respect to Jewish representation in government. I'm just following your train of thought. Or is it only the over-representation of Jewish people in government that you think worthy of comment?
I never said it was a problem.

How do you think elected representatives should be chosen? Quotas based on what their claimed religion is?

Perhaps post office workers could be chosen the same way? A given quota of a certain number of postal workers who observe the Sabbath, in proportion to the population as a whole?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:26 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:00 pm Relative to the population as a whole. Which is the same point you were making with respect to Jewish representation in government. I'm just following your train of thought. Or is it only the over-representation of Jewish people in government that you think worthy of comment?
I never said it was a problem.

How do you think elected representatives should be chosen? Quotas based on what their claimed religion is?

Perhaps post office workers could be chosen the same way? A given quota of a certain number of postal workers who observe the Sabbath, in proportion to the population as a whole?
I don't think there is anything wrong with how we do it now.

I'm just responding to the actual article referenced in the original post in this thread where MAGA Christian nationalist Sean Feucht is blathering on about how only the MAGA Christian types of his ilk should be running government. He, himself tried to run for Congress in his lily-red congressional district representing Redding and was soundly defeated. He got a whopping 14% of the vote in the GOP primary. So even Republicans aren't buying what he is selling. And that was a district handily won by Trump.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Redding doesn’t have its own congressional district.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:41 am Redding doesn’t have its own congressional district.
i glanced at the OP article. meh.
obtuse SJW looking for his 15 minutes ..
imho, not all SJWs are libs.

the problem with the internet is, from inception, the most unworthy appears side by side with the most profound.
it toys with healthy human reasoning. hopefully, “we’ll” learn. no guaranties.

it appears, gov attempts to (cough) “intervene” are, predictably, ONE BIG FLOP.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:25 pm
Szdfan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:07 pm What's the percentage of atheists in the US population? How many atheists are in Congress or the Supreme Court?
At this country's founding, atheists were considered unreliable witnesses since they had no fear of God nor a fear of eternal punishment, and thus were not able to run for office since they couldn't swear an oath of office.

I see no reason why this situation should change. Atheists are unreliable and untrustworthy. They have rejected truth itself.
So you would prohibit Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Bahai, and anyone not Christian from government as well?
0 x