Fox News settles with Dominion, agrees to pay $787.5 million

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Fox News settles with Dominion, agrees to pay $787.5 million

Post by JimFoxvog »

After the Dominion suit, things here at Fox will be different!
Memo to Employees:

After our settlement with Dominion Voting Systems, although we here at Fox News and Fox Corp. are sad to see those 787.5 million dollars go (those were some of our favorite dollars!), we are holding up our heads with pride! Yes, the Dominion lawsuit revealed some ugly truths about how we do business, but not to our viewers! And that’s the important thing! No matter what, we do not have to apologize on-air for any of our outright lies about the outcome of the 2020 presidential election!

Still, we have decided to make some changes around here.

1. More Credulous Anchors

We cannot afford to have hosts who know that they are deceiving viewers. So we will take steps to replace them with anchors who genuinely believe the things they are saying!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... mo-satire/
If you are behind a paywall, try https://www.removepaywall.com/ and paste the link above.

warning: the word "satire" is in the url
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Szdfan wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:39 am Nick Sandmann is small potatoes compared to the Dominion lawsuit.
Financially yes, but they are in the same category. I think it is satisfying to see news organizations held to account for what they say, in language that anybody can understand: a bit of pain in the wallet.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

mike wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:56 am
Szdfan wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:39 am Nick Sandmann is small potatoes compared to the Dominion lawsuit.
Financially yes, but they are in the same category. I think it is satisfying to see news organizations held to account for what they say, in language that anybody can understand: a bit of pain in the wallet.
I agree.

If we don't want to see global elites manipulating us by spreading lies, it's great to see their victims winning lawsuits and exposing the truth.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

JimFoxvog wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:25 am If you are behind a paywall, try https://www.removepaywall.com/ and paste the link above.
Or use Firefox "reader mode" and refresh the page.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:02 am
I agree.

If we don't want to see global elites manipulating us by spreading lies, it's great to see their victims winning lawsuits and exposing the truth.
Not that I have high hopes for the cessation of telling lies. I think it is the stock in trade of most powerful people, including any political administration.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I agree.

I have seen zero improvement in CNN or Fox News’ integrity (not that I read them closely). I don’t think a minor expense entry in their general ledger is going to lead their owners and managers to accept Jesus Christ and his standard of the true, perfect, beautiful, and good.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:12 am
mike wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:56 amFinancially yes, but they are in the same category. I think it is satisfying to see news organizations held to account for what they say, in language that anybody can understand: a bit of pain in the wallet.
I agree.

I have seen zero improvement in CNN or Fox News’ integrity (not that I read them closely). I don’t think a minor expense entry in their general ledger is going to lead their owners and managers to accept Jesus Christ and his standard of the true, perfect, beautiful, and good.
Sure, but it does expose the truth. To those who want to see the truth.

Incidentally, are these lies really in the same category? Did CNN people know that they were wrong, but decide to promote lies about Sandman knowingly? Or were they just blinded by their stereotypes and their expectations? I suspect it's the latter.

Mike, I think you tend to assume "they are all the same", but I'm not sure that's what the evidence shows. To me, the blatant, vivid lies about Dominion are in a category all their own. They told each other that these people were crazy liars, that their lies are dangerous to democracy, then helped them promote these lies because they were afraid that they would lose viewers if they did not. If that happened in most newsrooms, I would expect to see a whole lot more lawsuits like this. I don't remember anything like that coming out in the Sandmann case, but I could be wrong. If I am, I'd like to be pointed to some evidence that shows that they did that in that case too.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Josh wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:25 am
I’m well aware you’d like to silence me and every other person who doesn’t support the leftist-progressive agenda.
Deciding what others want and putting words int heir mouth is not helpful. Speak for ourselves and let's stop saying what others are intending to say.
4 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
mike

Post by mike »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:25 amMike, I think you tend to assume "they are all the same", but I'm not sure that's what the evidence shows. To me, the blatant, vivid lies about Dominion are in a category all their own. They told each other that these people were crazy liars, that their lies are dangerous to democracy, then helped them promote these lies because they were afraid that they would lose viewers if they did not. If that happened in most newsrooms, I would expect to see a whole lot more lawsuits like this. I don't remember anything like that coming out in the Sandmann case, but I could be wrong. If I am, I'd like to be pointed to some evidence that shows that they did that in that case too.
I don't think of them as all the same; I said what I said without really knowing details about either case, because I haven't followed them closely. But I think that both of them sure look like news organizations airing false information about a person or company in a way that could unjustly harm their reputation. Obviously there's a difference in degree, just look at the financial settlements (secret I think in Sandmann's case), but I think they both sound like the same category of problem.
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:27 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:25 amMike, I think you tend to assume "they are all the same", but I'm not sure that's what the evidence shows. To me, the blatant, vivid lies about Dominion are in a category all their own. They told each other that these people were crazy liars, that their lies are dangerous to democracy, then helped them promote these lies because they were afraid that they would lose viewers if they did not. If that happened in most newsrooms, I would expect to see a whole lot more lawsuits like this. I don't remember anything like that coming out in the Sandmann case, but I could be wrong. If I am, I'd like to be pointed to some evidence that shows that they did that in that case too.
I don't think of them as all the same; I said what I said without really knowing details about either case, because I haven't followed them closely. But I think that both of them sure look like news organizations airing false information about a person or company in a way that could unjustly harm their reputation. Obviously there's a difference in degree, just look at the financial settlements (secret I think in Sandmann's case), but I think they both sound like the same category of problem.
This is what i intend to describe when i write, “There is no INHERENT difference,” but, at any given time, there are “differences in degrees.” Yes. 100%
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN