EU countries sypathetic to Russia

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: EU countries sypathetic to Russia

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:27 pm We don't argue that parts of the US still belong to France, Mexico or various native people. Why do we say this about Ukraine?
America's borders are a tad older than 1991.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:28 pm
Szdfan wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:27 pm We don't argue that parts of the US still belong to France, Mexico or various native people. Why do we say this about Ukraine?
I don't think that matters. By your logic, Germany was justified invading Poland in 1939 to get back territory it lost in 1918.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ukraine's borders didn't change in 1991, they go back to at least 1954.

How old does a border have to be before it's respected?
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

PetrChelcicky wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:59 am My simple definition of "democracy" stems from van Mises and Popper and says: A democracy is a country where people are able to dethrone their political leader by vote - if they want to. In this sense. Hungary and Russia are democracies - if the people wanted to dethrone Orban or Putin they simply had to vote for the opposition parties.
I think that if the system is rigged to ensure that those who are in power stay in power, it's no longer a democracy, but just democracy theater. In a healthy democracy, power frequently changes hands between opposition parties and competitors. If the same party stays in power for an extended period of time, something has gone wrong.

In Russia, opposition politician Vladimir Kara-Murza has just been sentenced to twenty-five years in prison for criticizing the war in Ukraine and being a member of an "undesirable organization." This isn't democracy, this is blatant authoritarianism.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:44 pm How old does a border have to be before it's respected?
pithy question.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Szdfan wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:49 pm I think that if the system is rigged to ensure that those who are in power stay in power, it's no longer a democracy, but just democracy theater. In a healthy democracy, power frequently changes hands between opposition parties and competitors. If the same party stays in power for an extended period of time, something has gone wrong.
This fits most of Americas national and urban offices.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:47 amNo, it isn’t. This is a liberal talking point. Liberals are angry that 1 country isn’t supporting their all-out agenda. They demand complete control over every country and every institution.
I agree, But aren't conservatives also out to demand complete control over every country and every institution?
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:44 pmHow old does a border have to be before it's respected?
I don't know the answer, but if a country agrees to respect a certain border, than I don't think it is right or good or fair for a successive leadership to disregard that agreement.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:08 pm
Josh wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:47 amNo, it isn’t. This is a liberal talking point. Liberals are angry that 1 country isn’t supporting their all-out agenda. They demand complete control over every country and every institution.
I agree, But aren't conservatives also out to demand complete control over every country and every institution?
Conservatives are quite willing to share power and space with non-conservatives. Indeed, this is one of the things that make the two very different.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:44 pm
Ukraine's borders didn't change in 1991, they go back to at least 1954.

How old does a border have to be before it's respected?
Back then it was just the USSR, and “Ukraine” was not a country.
0 x