The Sociology of Team Loyalty

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: The Sociology of Team Loyalty

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:52 am
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:47 am But doesn't that also mean that our team loyalties indicate where our faith is?
Humans are complex. We can be part of many different tribes. Just because I like a sports team, does not mean I may be in the same political team, or faith team. We can compartmentalize.
I agree that human beings are complex, with more than one loyalty. I'm not sure we're as good at compartmentalizing as we like to tell ourselves. As a Christian, I am still a husband and a father and a neighbor in a particular neighborhood and a member of a particular church.
Robert wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:52 amBrands are all about affiliated faith. Faith here is not religious faith, but what we "believe" is better. I believe Colgate is better. You believe Crest is better. This only affects our teeth. I believe small government is better. You believe big government is better. This affects much more than teeth.
For what it's worth, I think good government is better, and good governments come in different sizes, in different times and places. Because humans are complex, finding a good government for any given group of humans is also complex.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert:
.. Faith here is not religious faith, ..
Inspired faith, granted by the Holy Spirit, is not human nature or a human construct.
Thanks for stating.

For me, Thomas/Didymus reflects inspired faith so beautifully. It’s beyond human reasoning. Awe-inspiring. JOHN 20:28
Thomas represents ordinary everyday people, like all of us.
Last edited by temporal1 on Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I can confirm that the Pizza Hut delivery guy some of my colleagues keep summoning to my workplace wears cat ears, as does a guy I often see walking in a neighbouring town.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:56 am Not agreeing to not like the team you hate doesn’t mean I’m loyal to that team. This is a nuance you seem to keep missing.

It doesn’t mean my faith is there either.
Exactly. I give an opinion that is negative about Trumps actual chances of winning the 2024 Presidential election, and my Trump loving friends (I can say this because they have confessed their love) immediately are appalled that I think that Biden is a better President (I don't) and that I hope Biden wins (I don't).
2 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:38 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:56 am Not agreeing to not like the team you hate doesn’t mean I’m loyal to that team. This is a nuance you seem to keep missing.

Exactly. I give an opinion that is negative about Trumps actual chances of winning the 2024 Presidential election, and my Trump loving friends (I can say this because they have confessed their love) immediately are appalled that I think that Biden is a better President (I don't) and that I hope Biden wins (I don't).
Yes - I’ve noticed the same thing. Anything less than cheerleading for one side means people on that side will. E aghast at “how could you” support the other side.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:43 am I think good government is better, and good governments come in different sizes, in different times and places.
Like all human structures, it ebbs and flows. If we build a massive good government, humans will ruin it within a generation and it will be a massive bad government. By limiting the size, one also limits the bad that WILL come from it.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:38 pm

It is kind of a one-sided phenomenon though. I hear liberal types kvetching about Biden all the time. No one assumes they are in the Trump camp.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Would it be different if the Democrats had a disruptive President who was wildly popular with the far left wing?
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

So we see team loyalty in a thread about team loyalty. Interesting.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:52 pm So we see team loyalty in a thread about team loyalty. Interesting.
Could you clarify who is doing this?
0 x