The Sociology of Team Loyalty

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

The Sociology of Team Loyalty

Post by Ernie »

I don't know if you have had experiences like I have had in the past but I can remember games when I was in elementary school.
If we were playing kick ball or soft ball, and there was a close call at a base, many on the defensive team would yell "OUT" and many on the offensive team would yell "SAFE". Often the same people were the most vocal, no matter how near or far they were from the incident.
The same thing happened when I taught Phys Ed.
My daughters say the same thing happens at their school.

Right now in NYC, adult protestors are yelling at each other. Right leaning folks are proclaiming that Trump is innocent and that this is a witch hunt. Left leaning folks believe he is guilty.
If the discussion is about Hunter Biden, left leaning folks proclaim that it is a witch hunt. Right leaning folks believe he is guilty.
Often the same people are the most vocal, no matter how near or far they were from the incident.

Is there a word or term for these scenarios of sticking up for your team... Giving your team the benefit of the doubt...
One word that comes to mind is "tribalism".

Meanwhile, both on school grounds and in politics, there are children and adults who do not form a conclusion until the facts come out.
Is there a word or term for this?
One word that comes to mind is "wisdom".
Last edited by Ernie on Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: The Sociology of Team Loyalty

Post by temporal1 »

.. Meanwhile, both on school grounds and in politics, there are children and adults who do not form a conclusion until the facts come out. Is there a word or term for this?
Emotional intelligence / emotional maturity.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Funny you should mention this...

A handful of local school districts are struggling with the issue of "who-gets-to-use-what-bathroom." One school had a public meeting last night and a gay rights group from out of the area showed up to push their agenda. A few coworkers were there and it got a little rowdy for a bit, from what I understand. The conservatives that want to protect family values were cheering on their own, while the other side booed them.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:49 pm Funny you should mention this...

A handful of local school districts are struggling with the issue of "who-gets-to-use-what-bathroom." One school had a public meeting last night and a gay rights group from out of the area showed up to push their agenda. A few coworkers were there and it got a little rowdy for a bit, from what I understand. The conservatives that want to protect family values were cheering on their own, while the other side booed them.
“from out of the area” is an organized POX on (the world, not just in the U.S.) not just about bathrooms.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:22 pm If the discussion is about Hunter Biden, left leaning folks proclaim that it is a witch hunt. Right leaning folks believe he is guilty.
Often the same people are the most vocal, no matter how near or far they were from the incident.
Actually I don't know a single left-leaning person who cares in the slightest about Hunter Biden much less would protest on his behalf. Or Hillary Clinton for that matter. If they committed crimes, charge away. No one is above the law.

Don't count on using any laptop nonsense to do it though. The chain of custody on that is so convoluted and muddled that I doubt any court would accept it as evidence of anything. It might be good enough for scandal-mongering in the House of Representative and FOX News. But I doubt it will stand up in a court of law.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:52 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:22 pm If the discussion is about Hunter Biden, left leaning folks proclaim that it is a witch hunt.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... den-probe/
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken

Post by Ken »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:49 pm Funny you should mention this...

It is no doubt entirely parents doing this. The kids really don't care.

The school I teach at has a set of individual bathrooms behind the office [separate locking doors on each individual bathroom] for kids who don't fit or aren't comfortable using one of the regular ones, and for handicapped kids who need staff to assist them. Literally no one cares.

The far bigger problem is kids vaping in the bathrooms and setting off fire alarms.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:13 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:52 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:22 pm If the discussion is about Hunter Biden, left leaning folks proclaim that it is a witch hunt.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... den-probe/
Sure if you are the Washington Post you can write an article that "both-sides" any issue. That is what they do to write news stories. "Are peas and carrots good for you? Opinions vary. We talk to 5 customers in an Ohio diner to find out"

My point is not that there aren't people out there arguing the arcane details of the Hunter Biden laptop story. If it is in the news you will get people covering it. But that leftists in general don't actually care about the Hunter Biden and his laptop, much less would rally on his behalf in the way that you see hordes of people coming out to support or protest Trump as his motorcade goes from Mar a Lago to Manhattan.

To put it another way, fealty to Trump has become a ticket for admission into right-wing Republican politics. Even questioning Trump will get you drummed out of GOP primaries. Right now you have the bizarre spectacle of DeSantis sucking up to Trump over the Stormy Daniels affair while Trump simultaneously runs vicious ads against DeSantis. I've never seen anything like it.

Nothing similar exists on the other side of the spectrum. Set aside Hunter Biden, there are plenty of Democrats and left-leaning people who are constantly questioning Joe Biden. In fact, you gain cred in leftist circles by talking about all the ways that Joe Biden has betrayed progressive ideals (Drilling in Alaska, harsh immigration policies, failure on criminal justice reform and policing, betrayal of rail unions etc. etc.). And if leftist politicians like AOC ran on a platform criticizing Biden (like Liz Cheney did with Trump) it would not affect her electoral success in the slightest. Nor would Biden particularly care, much less try to primary her with some Biden-loyalist candidate like Trump does around the country.
0 x
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Post by Franklin »

I am sorry but this thread misses the point. While I think the charges against Trump are nonsense, this isn't the point. The point is that the Democratic Party have established a pattern of ruthless evil over the last few years, and the Trump trial is just another example in a long line of examples. I am most annoyed with the Republicans for being spineless and not understanding that this is war, and that Republicans should be totally ruthless and without morals when dealing with Democrats. The only real solution to the current situation is described in Genesis 13, namely separation. Until that solution can be implemented, this is the correct response:

One point that I disagree with in this video is calling Democrats "Communists". In fact Democrats are Fascists. The communists side with the workers against big business. The Democrats and Fascists side with big business against the workers.

One last point is that all this has almost nothing to do with Trump. I despise Trump. The issue here is the pure evil of Democrats, and how to deal with this evil.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Franklin wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:48 pm I am sorry but this thread misses the point. While I think the charges against Trump are nonsense, this isn't the point. The point is that the Democratic Party have established a pattern of ruthless evil over the last few years, and the Trump trial is just another example in a long line of examples.

I am most annoyed with the Republicans for being spineless and not understanding that this is war,
1) and that Republicans should be totally ruthless and without morals when dealing with Democrats.

2) The only real solution to the current situation is described in Genesis 13, namely separation.
Until that solution can be implemented, this is the correct response:

[media]https:

One point that I disagree with in this video is calling Democrats "Communists". In fact Democrats are Fascists. The communists side with the workers against big business. The Democrats and Fascists side with big business against the workers.

One last point is that all this has almost nothing to do with Trump. I despise Trump.
3) The issue here is the pure evil of Democrats, and how to deal with this evil.

1) THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS is not of Jesus, does not lead to good fruit. Employ caution.
Establishing a DNC 1 and DNC 2 is not a win.

2) SEPARATION from evil is not of (1) and is of Jesus. On every level, minor to major.

3) IT’S NOT ABOUT TRUMP. i agree. DJT just happened to stand up to it in ways others have not.
He slowed things down. He opened doors. He makes a convenient and willing target. It’s not about him.

This is where i believe ALL owe him a debt of gratitude, his policies benefited ALL, it’s just that ideologues (your word, fascists) would rather “cut off their noses to spite their faces” rather than back down. It’s happening in real time. Self-inflicted societal suicide.

Oregon adoptions:
viewtopic.php?t=5607
0 x

UNKNOWN