Jimmy Carter

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Jimmy Carter

Post by JimFoxvog »

An old friend of mine, Don Mosley, recently made this video about Jimmy Carter, with a good focus on his Christian faith. Although he was not a pacifist, I think Carter was the best President in my lifetime.

I worked with Don Mosley for about a decade (the 1980s) at Jubilee Partners and have a deep love and respect for Don.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Jimmy Carter

Post by Ken »

He was a good president but not a very good politician. There is a difference I think.
2 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

One of the worst Presidents of all time. His claim to fame was deregulating the airlines; we all see how well that worked.

And was completely ineffective in dealing with the USSR invading Afghanistan.

On the flip side he is probably a nice person to have as a neighbour.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:10 pm One of the worst Presidents of all time. His claim to fame was deregulating the airlines; we all see how well that worked.

His actual claim to fame was the Camp David Peace Accords between Israel and Egypt which have held for 45 years.

As for airline deregulation? Yes, flying sucks today compared to the golden age of the 1960s when only the wealthy could afford to fly. On the other hand the average price of air travel has dropped in half which means that my family can actually afford to fly from time to which which we couldn't have back 50 years ago, at least not as much. Congress also passed trucking deregulation back then which has had a similar mixed result. Customer pay far less for shipping, which has enabled e-shopping like Amazon. But trucking is objectively a worse profession.

I'm not sure what agency you think the US actually has to prevent the USSR or now Russia from invading Afghanistan or Chechnya or Georgia or Crimea or Ukraine or anyplace else. Short of total war that is.

His biggest mistake was probably allowing the Shaw to seek asylum in the US which is probably the event that set off the hostage crisis at the US embassy in Tehran. Take away that mistake and he possibly wins re-election in 1980.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:10 pm One of the worst Presidents of all time. His claim to fame was deregulating the airlines; we all see how well that worked.

i responded, P.24, Bunny Trails: Politics / viewtopic.php?t=3487&start=230
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:10 pm One of the worst Presidents of all time
Well, I admit he made many mistakes and wasn't too good. Just better than any other president in my lifetime, which started with Truman.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I think Carter symbolizes a path left untaken, instead of a soft landing for the progressive 60s, we preferred reactionary 80s where globalism really kicked in high gear by combining ideas like democracy and unbridled deregulation (government IS the problem). Other paths left unexplored include energy independence and less aggressive foreign policy.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Airline, trucking, train deregulation: all a complete disaster.

What benefits did we get? Plane tickets have actually gotten very expensive the last 3 years. (Ken’s chart doesn’t extend past 2020.) Trains are derailing. The way air, truck, and railway workers are treated is horrible.

I’d prefer to pay more for things, make less money, but know that workers are treated fairly and we won’t have trains derailing in my backyard, air travel disrupted with a week of delays with a million passengers dumped in random cities like last Christmas - and no air service at all to smaller communities, and we will stop having truck accidents like the one that killed a young mother and her baby in my congregation 2 years ago.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ken wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:26 pm He was a good president but not a very good politician. There is a difference I think.
I think we can say that about a few others.

I can't say that I'd have a favorite US president, or one that I hated.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:42 am
Ken wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:26 pm He was a good president but not a very good politician. There is a difference I think.
I think we can say that about a few others.

I can't say that I'd have a favorite US president, or one that I hated.
Nixon was a pretty good President. He also gracefully accepted the obvious vote fraud the first time he ran for office out of a desire not to hurt the country.
0 x