Biden's New Border Policy

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Re: Biden's New Border Policy

Post by GaryK »

Josh wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:35 am Augustine personally witnessed to Constantine and eventually converted him.

Constantine tried to make Jesus king of the Roman Empire.

Was that a good thing?
That is the example I keep thinking about whenever the idea surfaces about attempting to get politicians to change governments into more of a Jesus centered model. The other one I think of is what the Moral Majority attempted in the 80s. I don't think the world became a better place as a result of either example. I think what these attempts ultimately did do is make the Kingdom of Jesus less effective than if it would have otherwise been.
2 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

US President Joe Biden's administration is to build a section of border wall in southern Texas in an effort to stop rising levels of immigration.

Around 20 miles (32km) will be built in Starr County along its border with Mexico, where officials report high numbers of crossings.

Building a border wall was a signature policy of Donald Trump as president and fiercely opposed by Democrats.

In 2020, Mr Biden promised he would not build another foot of wall if elected.

His administration passed a proclamation soon after taking office that said building a wall across the southern border "is not a serious policy solution".
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67015137

Well, I guess people can change their minds....

Politics as usual...
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Josh wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:35 am Augustine personally witnessed to Constantine and eventually converted him.
That’s quite a feat considering that Constantine died seventeen years before Augustine was born.
5 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Can anybody explain why Biden says he has no choice but to build the wall. Is he required to waive 26 federal laws in order to do this?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-c ... =103757017
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:42 pm Can anybody explain why Biden says he has no choice but to build the wall. Is he required to waive 26 federal laws in order to do this?

He has a choice.

It is politics.

Although one might argue that the current crisis at the border is really the cumulative result of decades of mismanagement, underfunding, and inaction by Congress. And not something that has much to do with the existence or absence of a wall at the border.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Biden says that the money was appropriated for the border wall. He says he tried to convince congress to reappropriate the money, but it didn’t happen, so now they must use that money. The Democrats had the House and the Senate for two years and he is saying that he couldn’t convince Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer to reappropriate the money??? I think the claim he asked congress to reappropriate the money is another one of his lies.

When Asked if he thought the border wall was effective, the president replied, “No.”

Yet 26 federal laws were waived to allow border wall construction in Texas.

This is surprising as one of Biden’s promises was that not another foot of a wall will be constructed in his administration. And if the money was appropriated and he doesn’t believe the wall works, why didn’t he go to the courts to fight that appropriation, like he did with the Student Loan forgiveness.

When the prior administration built walls the accusations made: that the wall was a monument to racism, the wall was immoral, it was a reminder of white supremacy, it is a white racist hostility, etc. I wonder what the accusers will say now?
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:56 pm
Ernie wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:42 pm Can anybody explain why Biden says he has no choice but to build the wall. Is he required to waive 26 federal laws in order to do this?

He has a choice.

It is politics.

Although one might argue that the current crisis at the border is really the cumulative result of decades of mismanagement, underfunding, and inaction by Congress. And not something that has much to do with the existence or absence of a wall at the border.
When Biden came into office he immediately got rid of every single policy at the border and the interior that stemmed the flow of illegal immigrants. Congress didn’t do that. That was all Biden's doings
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Grace wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:54 pmI think the claim he asked congress to reappropriate the money is another one of his lies.
It is possible that Biden tells lies. It is quite obvious that he tells untruths. But I prefer that we avoid speculation and stick to the facts as much as possible. Otherwise, the discussion devolves into partisan debate.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:32 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:56 pm

He has a choice.

It is politics.

When Biden came into office he immediately got rid of every single policy at the border and the interior that stemmed the flow of illegal immigrants. Congress didn’t do that. That was all Biden's doings
In point of fact, when Biden came into office he changed very little and rolled most of the Trump-era policies forward unchanged. The only real exception was Title 42 which the Biden Administration was eventually forced to end due to the fact that the COVID public health emergency was ending.

There were some extra-legal things that the Trump Administration was doing that the Biden Administration ceased. But very little in the way of policy was actually changed and no laws were changed at all despite Democrats holding both houses of Congress during Biden's first two years.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:56 pm Although one might argue that the current crisis at the border is really the cumulative result of decades of mismanagement, underfunding, and inaction by Congress.
This is the same Congress that Biden was a member of for over four decades, right?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited