George Santos even scammed the Amish

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: George Santos even scammed the Amish

Post by Josh »

This is a fairly common problem in Holmes Co., and the sheriff takes bad checks very seriously. They have a task force set up to pursue bad check passers.

Another problem is people who steal from small, independent grocery stores and bulk food stores. The sheriff also takes that seriously including coordinating with other police departments (the food usually ends up being resold in Cleveland). Once I stopped by a grocery store and an otherwise “respectable” looking woman from Cleveland in a nice looking car was being arrested - she had a shopping cart full of butter, bacon and other meats she took without paying from the store. The cashiers there were just Amish girls, not exactly suitable to detain such an offender. This wasn’t her first time doing it at this store so the sheriff set up a sting at the store. They were able to see in her SUV’s trunk window that she had much more stolen groceries.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

barnhart wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:42 pm On some level I admire his commitment to his own story telling. There are so many career options open for that skill set, author, writing screen plays, acting, defense lawyer, public relations ect... Now that I think about it, politics is on that list as well. I think he will do fine as long as he can stay out of jail.
The House, breaking precedent, could not wait for a criminal conviction. If his story telling failed to convince a few more of the 73% who voted to expel him, maybe he wasn't as good at it as he thought.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:12 pm
barnhart wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:42 pm On some level I admire his commitment to his own story telling. There are so many career options open for that skill set, author, writing screen plays, acting, defense lawyer, public relations ect... Now that I think about it, politics is on that list as well. I think he will do fine as long as he can stay out of jail.
The House, breaking precedent, could not wait for a criminal conviction. If his story telling failed to convince a few more of the 73% who voted to expel him, maybe he wasn't as good at it as he thought.
Interesting. I'm genuinely surprised. I wonder what finally offended congress. I feel like anything he committed, other members have done similar.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

That is great that he is expelled. They should keep going, give the rest of them the boot.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:44 pm
ohio jones wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:12 pm
Interesting. I'm genuinely surprised. I wonder what finally offended congress. I feel like anything he committed, other members have done similar.
He became too much of an embarrassment.

The GOP probably calculated that he was toast anyway and so perhaps they will have a better chance electing a permanent replacement in that district which is purplish in a low-turnout special election than in a 2024 primary where he is still on the ballot followed by a general election in an election year that will likely have high turnout.

the Dems were obviously going to vote to expel him as that gives them a chance to elect a Dem replacement.

He probably didn't do any one specific thing that no one else had ever done. But the sheer brazen VOLUME of wrongdoing certainly exceeded any other congressman in modern times.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr