New Executive Order for Religious Liberty

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
TeleBodyofChrist
Affiliation: Christian

Re: New Executive Order for Religious Liberty

Post by TeleBodyofChrist »

Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:i just hope there aren't dire unintended consequences.
I think the consequences are intended. Dire? That would probably be an exaggeration. But I don't see how this can be good.

After all, with large Republican majorities in both houses and a Republican president, if this were defensible, they could actually change the law instead of announcing they will not enforce it. Of course, it's not like this law has been enforced against churches anyway.

I would leave any church that got involved in political campaigns or told you who to vote for. Two Kingdom theology is important. Newt Gingrich and Jerry Falwell do not represent the Kingdom of God that I know.
I just wanted to add that a lot of the mainstream churches push a very different two kingdom theology. The idea is for Christians to work themselves into politics even taking political office so they can then write laws that represent Christianity. It is more like merging the two kingdoms I suppose.

Anyway, the problem I see with this is as a Christian it is hard to hold certain offices for the duties go against the faith. The county clerk in Kentucky is an example. She did not want to perform the duties of her office once the laws changed towards gay marriage. I just do not understand how or why Christians would seek office working for government knowing it is a different kingdom than God's.
0 x
Let’s read the whole bible together in 30 days!
If interested you can view my profile and go to my website.

2 Tim. 3:16-17
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

TeleBodyofChrist wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:i just hope there aren't dire unintended consequences.
I think the consequences are intended. Dire? That would probably be an exaggeration. But I don't see how this can be good.

After all, with large Republican majorities in both houses and a Republican president, if this were defensible, they could actually change the law instead of announcing they will not enforce it. Of course, it's not like this law has been enforced against churches anyway.

I would leave any church that got involved in political campaigns or told you who to vote for. Two Kingdom theology is important. Newt Gingrich and Jerry Falwell do not represent the Kingdom of God that I know.
I just wanted to add that a lot of the mainstream churches push a very different two kingdom theology. The idea is for Christians to work themselves into politics even taking political office so they can then write laws that represent Christianity. It is more like merging the two kingdoms I suppose.

Anyway, the problem I see with this is as a Christian it is hard to hold certain offices for the duties go against the faith. The county clerk in Kentucky is an example. She did not want to perform the duties of her office once the laws changed towards gay marriage. I just do not understand how or why Christians would seek office working for government knowing it is a different kingdom than God's.
Power over people, to force them to do as you dictate.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

TeleBodyofChrist wrote:I just wanted to add that a lot of the mainstream churches push a very different two kingdom theology. The idea is for Christians to work themselves into politics even taking political office so they can then write laws that represent Christianity. It is more like merging the two kingdoms I suppose.
It is the same thinking that reigned during the Constantinian Hybrid, which did little to advance the Kingdom of God and much to destroy it. You can't change hearts through law, you can only force compliance.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Let's remember that less than a year ago, there was serious talk of forcing churches and church run schools to make sure transsexuals who present as female to use the women's restroom. The left has no interest at all in maintaining any separation of church and state.
0 x
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

Josh wrote:Let's remember that less than a year ago, there was serious talk of forcing churches and church run schools to make sure transsexuals who present as female to use the women's restroom. The left has no interest at all in maintaining any separation of church and state.
True. In fact many would like to do away with the church altogether and just have the state.
0 x
TeleBodyofChrist
Affiliation: Christian

Post by TeleBodyofChrist »

Adam wrote:
Josh wrote:Let's remember that less than a year ago, there was serious talk of forcing churches and church run schools to make sure transsexuals who present as female to use the women's restroom. The left has no interest at all in maintaining any separation of church and state.
True. In fact many would like to do away with the church altogether and just have the state.
There appears to be extremes on both sides of the issue aimed at force of will.
0 x
Let’s read the whole bible together in 30 days!
If interested you can view my profile and go to my website.

2 Tim. 3:16-17
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

As pilgrims and strangers, whilst we will ask for and defend ourselves much as Paul did with the Romans, ultimately it is not overly our concern what the secular church and the world want to do or not do. Our Christian faith has been around 2,000 years; our Anabaptist faith has been around 492 years; and ultimately the faith of our father Abraham has been around a lot longer than that.

If we really believe our God is real then all this reshuffling of legislation and regulations should be of low concern for us. Of much greater concern is that I myself, and my local congregation, not become polluted by the ways of the world.
0 x