"Evangelical" term ruined

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: "Evangelical" term ruined

Post by Josh »

I find Greek transliterations like "church", "Apostolic", "evangelical", "baptist", and so forth to be less than helpful.

Words in common use in our language seem like good choices (and "church" and "Christian" are generally well understood). Most of us belong to some sect or another - being honest about that isn't a bad thing. If I say I'm in a Mennonite Church, that's honest and reduces confusion.

I wish English had some words as usable as "Gemeinde".
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:I find Greek transliterations like "church", "Apostolic", "evangelical", "baptist", and so forth to be less than helpful.

Words in common use in our language seem like good choices (and "church" and "Christian" are generally well understood). Most of us belong to some sect or another - being honest about that isn't a bad thing. If I say I'm in a Mennonite Church, that's honest and reduces confusion.

And gelassenheit. I think this is one of the hardest concepts to translate into English.

I would translate gemeinde as brotherhood or community, or maybe a brotherhood community. Though, again, that may lack a bit of the nuances of the German usage.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:I wish English had some words as usable as "Gemeinde".
Doesn't "community" do the trick?

Like the German word Gemeinde, it also has secular everyday meanings - both Germany and the United States have many different kinds of communities that have nothing to do with the Christian vision of community. For instance, Gemeinde can mean a municipality in German. But I think the English and German terms are equally good for this.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I would be ok with a church calling itself a community. Elmendorf actually does that.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:I would be ok with a church calling itself a community. Elmendorf actually does that.
That would actually require a church to be a community. Sadly, many churches aren't.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

lesterb wrote:
Josh wrote:I find Greek transliterations like "church", "Apostolic", "evangelical", "baptist", and so forth to be less than helpful.

And gelassenheit. I think this is one of the hardest concepts to translate into English.

I would translate gemeinde as brotherhood or community, or maybe a brotherhood community. Though, again, that may lack a bit of the nuances of the German usage.
I am glad no one in my church speaks German, therefor these words don't pop up too often.

J.M.
0 x
:hug: