Side thread: US-Canada Trade War

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Side thread: US-Canada Trade War

Post by lesterb »

I had an interesting encounter at Canada Customs back when they first really hit American dairy products with a tariff of (if I remember correctly) of around 350%. I had a meeting in Wisconsin, and they have some really good cheese factories. So my wife loaded up with cheese (like we had before) while I discussed high an lofty publication goals. When we got to the border, they asked what I bought and I said $250 worth of cheese. The girls expression actually changed, and she said something about that being a problem. Anyway she said I should go into the office and see what I could work out. I think we were allowed maybe $25 per person, duty free, and there were three of us.

That has been the only time that I felt that people working for Canada customs actually felt sorry for me. They told me the situation, which of course they couldn't go anything about. I said, well, I can't throw food away, so I'll have to pay it. The fellow in charge (and they were all gathered around) said, well let me figure it out before you decide. He did, and shook his head. You don't want to do this, he said. It was over $500 if I remember correctly (remember, this was like 25 years ago). They offered to take the extra cheese that was subject to the tarriff and donate it to the local foodbank in Sarnia. I finally went for that. And older fellow went out to go through the cheese and figure out what I could take. He sure gave me the benefit of the doubt. I told him -- you make sure that this cheese gets to the food bank rather than divying it up with the guys in the office. He assured me he would personally see to it.

I decided that those fellows can actually be human if the circumstances are right, and you do your part.

Also, I bet that was the best cheese that food bank ever got donated to it.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

appleman2006 wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:I'm bringing cheez-wiz. Does that count as chemical weapons?
Ok if we are into chemical weapons I am bring that yellow yuk they call eggs at the free breakfast you get at a two or three star restaurant.
You think you scare me? I live down South, in the land of Moon Pies and Googoo Clusters!
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

lesterb wrote:Also, I bet that was the best cheese that food bank ever got donated to it.
:shock:
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3