Respect for Marriage Act

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Respect for Marriage Act

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:34 pm
RZehr wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:32 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:30 pm

In 1 Corinthians 7:8-9 Paul writes:
  • To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single, as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
What do you think he meant by that?
Paul intended for the unmarried men to marry women and unmarried women to marry men. Heterosexual marriages.
Do you think gay people never burn with passion and have better self-control than straight people?
Probably not as much, no. It is unnatural, it is a perversion.
But that question is really irrelevant in terms of living a holy and righteous life, because we know that no matter how strong a sinful desire is for something, we are to withstand it.
And I think that a heterosexuals passion is stronger, yet if he cannot find an agreeable spouse, well, he has to be celibate too. And there are probably way more heterosexuals who are involuntarily celibate than there are homosexuals in existence. I personally think that there exists heterosexuals who, out of frustration, turn to homosexuals because they can’t find a heterosexual option.
All sexual activity (and probably imagined) outside of heterosexual marriage is sinful. And there are heterosexual marriages that are sinful.
The State proclaims certain heterosexual relationships as marriages, yet it doesn’t make them right. And the State grants homosexual relationships a marriage license, it doesn’t make them right. Same with polygamy or marriage to an animal or inanimate object.
Gods will for man is not fudged at all by man’s devices designed to sooth the conscious with a veneer of acceptance.
Last edited by RZehr on Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:34 pm Do you think gay people never burn with passion and have better self-control than straight people?
I actually thing think that generally, they have more burning and less self control because I see it generally as a mental disorder. A murderer has more passion to kill but do we allow them to just go around and kill things? A rapist burns with passion, but we say that is not acceptable. Burning with passion is not justification. Burning with passion and using a God sanctioned tool to help you with it is acceptable.
3 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:23 am
I don't think that is true either, but I think we have lost the real purpose for marriage and lost the understanding that it is not all about "I" and "I want."
A breath of fresh air.
Marriage is a lot of things, but one hope for marriage (was) that it would be between two so loving they would each put the other FIRST. No such thing is central now, the world is not better for it.

please spare me from jumping to say ss couples can have the same motivations. it’s carnal sin that muddies the waters.
like fornication, like adultery, etc. God is not impressed with human reasoning. He sees right through it.

In a world where practical matters, for instance, discretionary wealth+time, and “me” matters are central, ssm has lots of attractions.
Human souls long for more. In ignorance, damage is done.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I can think of a number of heterosexual people in marriages who must restrain their passions due to a severe medical issue their spouse has. Not to mention those whose spouse have died, let alone those who are never married in the first place.

Married people are tempted to adultery too. The Bible teaches self control and self denial, not wildly indulging every carnal lust to overeat, drink, carouse, and otherwise engage in the “deeds of the night” which are “evil”.
3 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:32 am I can think of a number of heterosexual people in marriages who must restrain their passions due to a severe medical issue their spouse has. Not to mention those whose spouse have died, let alone those who are never married in the first place.

Married people are tempted to adultery too. The Bible teaches self control and self denial, not wildly indulging every carnal lust to overeat, drink, carouse, and otherwise engage in the “deeds of the night” which are “evil”.
Very valid points, "we" can identify with.
By the way, one of the reasons Christians fast, is to "deny their passions", learning to exercise self control because food can be a passion- gluttony a sin. But I have heard some Christians suggest that our focus on homosexuality gets old when we think about the fact that a lot of Christians are overweight and that gluttony is a sin. However, i think there is a misunderstanding there not all sin is equal as some like to suggest. The sin of homosexuality is totally Satan driven because he hates marriage because marriage represents the church - The Bride of Christ- the marriage to come- satan is dreading this so why wouldn't he attack marriage?

But yes, there are MANY who have to deny their passions. We cannot help the gay community to hell. That is not love.
Last edited by Valerie on Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Our Pastor. has been working his way through Romans 1, not easy.

One thing Im reminded of after Paul goes into the vile passions men for men and women for women, "
Romans 1:28-32
"And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting. Being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness, full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness, they are whispers, backfighters, haters of god, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, and merciful, who knowing the righteous judgment of God that those who practice such things are worthy of death not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them."

Doesn't this ladt sentence convey if we approve of those who practice these sins, that we are just as guilty???
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh, and Valerie,
Possibly the gravest conflict in the world today is how core Christian tenets, denial of self, humility, submission,
ARE SO HATED, pride is glorified. Pride in carnal indulgence has a physical flag that is “untouchable.”

It’s a big communication problem. Even babies are clothed in the carnal flag.
The Bible was “Communications Central” for much of the world. Now replaced with the carnal flag, and the sin it represents.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

nett wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:32 pm
That doesn't mean that it's not a sign of a society in the throws of collapse, nor does it mean it's a good idea. Most Americans (which apparently includes you, since you can't respond to HK) cannot explain the actual civic purpose of marriage, let alone understand why gay marriage makes about as much sense as dry water.
You can buy dehydrated water!
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

JimFoxvog wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:43 am
That doesn't mean that it's not a sign of a society in the throws of collapse, nor does it mean it's a good idea. Most Americans (which apparently includes you, since you can't respond to HK) cannot explain the actual civic purpose of marriage, let alone understand why gay marriage makes about as much sense as dry water.
This must be what they use to make dry ice.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:23 pm
JimFoxvog wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:43 am
This must be what they use to make dry ice.
When I was a little kid hanging around my uncle's dairy farm I thought dry milk came from dry cows. My uncle was always talking about how this or that cow was a dry cow.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr