Bankman-crickets / Musk-endlessly fascinating

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Bankman-crickets / Musk-endlessly fascinating

Post by barnhart »

It's easy to say the feds should have invested sooner, but can you imagine the level of protest that would have created, the charges of federal overreach and interference with the free market...
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

barnhart wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:55 pm It's easy to say the feds should have invested sooner, but can you imagine the level of protest that would have created, the charges of federal overreach and interference with the free market...
As a taxpayer, I’m more than content with their timing. I don’t comprehend why some people think they should have jumped on this opportunity sooner.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:39 pm
barnhart wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:55 pm It's easy to say the feds should have invested sooner, but can you imagine the level of protest that would have created, the charges of federal overreach and interference with the free market...
As a taxpayer, I’m more than content with their timing. I don’t comprehend why some people think they should have jumped on this opportunity sooner.
Complex financial crimes are….complex. They take a lot of time to investigate and untangle.

I don’t think there is any political motivation to any of this. The DOJ is proceeding meticulously as they should.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:50 pm
Complex financial crimes are….complex. They take a lot of time to investigate and untangle.

I don’t think there is any political motivation to any of this. The DOJ is proceeding meticulously as they should.
Well, yes, that too. I prefer the federal governments ROI on the selling and refilling of the strategic oil reserve, myself.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i forgot about this, i meant to add to it.
It reminds of post-9-11-2001 MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACKS. “Could-a, would-a, should-a.”
Even WJC had public regrets that he, as POTUS, could have acted to PREVENT 9-11, he did not.

People quickly forget that acting BEFORE 9-11 would have been political suicide. Much as barnhart describes above.
imho. Before 9-11, many many U.S. citizens did not feel vulnerable to foreign enemies, did not feel anyone hates the U.S., ‘cause, why would they? The U.S. is “the good guys,” wanted everywhere. 9-11-2001 was a jarring wakeup call to MANY.

In 2003, when Baghdad was invaded (as response to 2001) it was frightening. Warnings of gas attacks in addition to conventional war, were in daily news.

For myself, i feared for U.S. troops, believing as i do that the majority are young kids, many just out of high school, in the military for reasons of poverty, hopes to later get a college education, hopes to overcome family problems, etc. - raised in the U.S., where they are not raised with hate and insecurity, but encouraged to hope, not bully, etc. i empathize with young troops who really don’t know, can’t know, what they’re getting into. once in, they’re stuck until Uncle Sam lets them go.

i was sick to think about these young ones going from relative easy life in the U.S. (even with military training) to face the world that 24/7 hates them. how many never before knew where Iraq was? (gov schools aren’t big on geography or other practical matters).

more+more, young females are subject to all this.^^ regardless their physical bodies (and minds) aren’t designed for it.
just because you “can” do a thing, doesn’t mean you should.

i agree with barnhart’s description of Monday morning quarterbacks. not just in the financial world.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

BERNIE MADOFF: arrested 2008

This was before i stumbled upon MD. i have no idea if Bernie Madoff was discussed.
He was BIG news in msm. He came across as ultimately ruthless, godless, creepy “as all get-out.”

This topic began questioning how msm chooses headlines. Nothing more.

The topic has moved on, i’m happy to see comparisons of Bernie Madoff’s crimes with SBF’s crimes. Two like cases.
At the time, Madoff’s family was reported to be devastated in every way over his sins+crimes.

That’s what SINS+CRIMES do:
they hurt children+families, communities, churches, all in addition to any intended victims.
(In my view, THE SINGLE GREATEST DETERRENT to sins+crimes.)

Bernie Madoff went to jail to avoid mob hit: new Netflix docuseries
https://nypost.com/2023/01/03/netflix-d ... wednesday/

Where Is Bernie Madoff’s Family Now?
All About The Disgraced Wall Street Financier's Wife, Sons, And Grandkids
He's the subject of a new Netflix docuseries.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/a4 ... amily-now/

(i don’t view netflix nor recommend it.) i read various reports that might refer to it.

It makes me sad to read about what these foolish young people* are facing, due to mind-numbing self-centeredness and evil.
To think how many entitled young ones there are in this world, raised “with everything” - yet with deep poverty of spirit.

i believe Dr Grande is kind in this analysis below.

Casual Girlfriend of Samuel Bankman-Fried Rapidly Turns on Him | Caroline Ellison Case Analysis / 14min

*foolish young people
when i was young, ages 16-18+ were considered adults, or close to it.
over decades, U.S. mentality has altered so that even 30 year olds are viewed as young adults, or even “kids.”

not all countries/cultures have made this change.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:20 am when i was young, ages 16-18+ were considered adults, or close to it.
over decades, U.S. mentality has altered so that even 30 year olds are viewed as young adults, or even “kids.”

Honestly, that is only true if you are privileged and white.

Many poor, Black and Hispanic kids are tried as adults and jailed in adult prisons even though they are 12, 13, 14, etc. years old.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:21 am
temporal1 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:20 am when i was young, ages 16-18+ were considered adults, or close to it.

Many poor, Black and Hispanic kids are tried as adults and jailed in adult prisons even though they are 12, 13, 14, etc. years old.
This is not true.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:16 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:21 am

This is not true.
Florida leads the nation in trying children as adults. And black children are disproportionately tried as adults compared to white children relative to how much crime they commit. And that is most certainly the case if you are poor than if you are rich. Here is just one of many articles on the subject: https://www.splcenter.org/news/2022/01/ ... ren-adults

From the article:
No state prosecutes children as adults on felony charges more than Florida, where 4,446 children have been charged with felonies in the adult system over the past five years. And the statistics show that Black children accused of crimes are more likely than white children to be funneled into adult courts and lockups.
As for trying 12 year old children as adults? I also give you Florida: https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-boy- ... ers-murder
In the Florida courtroom, the first-degree murder defendant is dwarfed by the cops who surround him. In the interrogation room, he can barely sit still or stay awake.

This defendant is 12 years old and, if convicted, could spend the rest of his life in prison.

His name is Cristian Fernandez, and he is the youngest person to be charged with murder as an adult in Jacksonville's history.
That was just one example, there are others.
Last edited by Ken on Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I don’t see the problem here. If someone murders someone, they need to go to trial.

Are you claiming these defendants did not actually commit murder and are unjustly convicted?

Are you claiming white 12 year olds who commit murder are getting away with it and aren’t getting convicted?
0 x