PA state senate: Oz vs. Fetterman

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: PA state senate: Oz vs. Fetterman

Post by steve-in-kville »

That election was most certainly rigged.

https://lancasteronline.com/news/politi ... 81f80.html
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:45 am That election was most certainly rigged.
.. prayers for his full recovery, and his soul. prayers for his precious family.
prayers for those evidently without souls who believe anything is acceptable “for the win.”
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:48 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:45 am That election was most certainly rigged.
.. prayers for his full recovery, and his soul. prayers for his precious family.
prayers for those evidently without souls who believe anything is acceptable “for the win.”
I should clarify... I don't want to kick a man while he is down, but my state elected (allegedly) a physically sick man who could barely carry himself through a debate. Now he's getting treatment for the aftereffects and we are okay with this?
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:56 am
I should clarify... I don't want to kick a man while he is down, but my state elected (allegedly) a physically sick man who could barely carry himself through a debate. Now he's getting treatment for the aftereffects and we are okay with this?
i didn’t intend to suggest ill will on your part. not at all. just joining in grief for a devastating situation.
it’s best to avoid becoming so consumed with winning that humanity and common sense are sacrificed.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:56 am I should clarify... I don't want to kick a man while he is down, but my state elected (allegedly) a physically sick man who could barely carry himself through a debate. Now he's getting treatment for the aftereffects and we are okay with this?
We are okay with him getting much needed treatment, but not okay with a sick man being used as a puppet.

It is not unusual for victims of stroke to deal with depression and his depression is sadly understandable. No matter how we feel about his politics he needs prayers and support with his health issues. Honestly, is anyone surprised though, he was pushed into a position he was not, and never will be ready for. I only feel sadness for him and wish him a complete recovery.

Fetterman has a staff of around 50 people around him to read things for him and tell him how he should vote. It is the people who pushed this very ailing man into office to be used as a puppet, who should be ashamed. These are the same people who pushed an addled elderly man into the presidency, to be used as a puppet, as well.

The Governor of PA should ask for his resignation and nominate an interim Senator until the next election. But I highly doubt that will happen. They need a puppet, even if he is sick and should be taking time off to recover.
1 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

This seems like a rather cruel take. It comes across as being rather nasty about an individual needing care and support after a stroke. The fact that he’s seeking help for depression is something that should be applauded and not shamed for. A lot more people suffer from depression than get help for It.

From what I understand, Feterman’s struggle is with auditory processing. He has trouble understanding speech and speaking, but is otherwise able to understand what is going around him. The accommodations by the Senate reflect this.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... the-senate
In his office, Fetterman has a newly installed monitor that can be adjusted depending on whether he wishes to stand or sit while also providing closed captioning so he can follow along with congressional proceedings. He has a similar setup at the center dais in the Senate chamber for when he must preside over the upper chamber.

Fetterman's neurological impairment hinders him from understanding speech clearly, with the senator saying voices sometimes sound like the undecipherable teacher on the Peanuts cartoon, according to the New York Times.
As part of these accommodations, the office provided him with technology that would transcribe what people are saying to him in real-time, similar to a closed-captioning system. The Senate sergeant-at-arms installed such programs on computer monitors in Fetterman's office and in the Senate chamber, according to the outlet.

The programs can work without internet access if needed and are powered by the Senate Office Captioning Services's stenotype machines as well as professional broadcast captioners. The monitors allow for live transcription of Senate committee hearings that Fetterman will sit in on, and the sergeant-at-arms office is reportedly planning to expand this access to all Senate hearings in the coming months.
I think Feterman’s case demonstrates the success of using accommodations to integrate people with disabilities into the workforce. I think the reaction to it all demonstrates the bias that people have towards people with disabilities.

I also think Oz lost because he was a terrible candidate. He was a millionaire carpet bagger from New Jersey who peddled dubious medical snake oil on his TV show. His video where he went into “Wegner’s” and complained about the cost of crudité was political malpractice.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Grace wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:52 am We are okay with him getting much needed treatment, but not okay with a sick man being used as a puppet.
Ronald Reagan famously showed signs of Alzheimer’s while he was still in office. Towards the end of his second term, he reportedly relied heavily on aids and sometimes struggled to distinguish between fantasy and reality. Do you think he was a puppet?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:38 am
Grace wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:52 am We are okay with him getting much needed treatment, but not okay with a sick man being used as a puppet.
Ronald Reagan famously showed signs of Alzheimer’s while he was still in office. Towards the end of his second term, he reportedly relied heavily on aids and sometimes struggled to distinguish between fantasy and reality. Do you think he was a puppet?
Ronald Reagan was in good health physically and mentally when he was elected and not elected for the express purpose of being a puppet to garner votes. There is a difference. Before elected, it was obvious that Fetterman was seriously compromised in his cognitive abilities, at no fault of his own. It was also obvious that the best thing for him, was to focus on recovery from his stroke, and not on politics.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

This seems like a rather cruel take. It comes across as being rather nasty about an individual needing care and support after a stroke. The fact that he’s seeking help for depression is something that should be applauded and not shamed for. A lot more people suffer from depression than get help for It.
Someone who needs a lot of care and will miss work for months at a time needs to be on disability, not being a sitting Senator.
2 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:31 am
temporal1 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:48 am .. prayers for his full recovery, and his soul. prayers for his precious family.

From what I understand, Feterman’s struggle is with auditory processing. He has trouble understanding speech and speaking, but is otherwise able to understand what is going around him. The accommodations by the Senate reflect this.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... the-senate
In his office, Fetterman has a newly installed monitor that can be adjusted depending on whether he wishes to stand or sit while also providing closed captioning so he can follow along with congressional proceedings. He has a similar setup at the center dais in the Senate chamber for when he must preside over the upper chamber.

Fetterman's neurological impairment hinders him from understanding speech clearly, with the senator saying voices sometimes sound like the undecipherable teacher on the Peanuts cartoon, according to the New York Times.
As part of these accommodations, the office provided him with technology that would transcribe what people are saying to him in real-time, similar to a closed-captioning system. The Senate sergeant-at-arms installed such programs on computer monitors in Fetterman's office and in the Senate chamber, according to the outlet.

The programs can work without internet access if needed and are powered by the Senate Office Captioning Services's stenotype machines as well as professional broadcast captioners. The monitors allow for live transcription of Senate committee hearings that Fetterman will sit in on, and the sergeant-at-arms office is reportedly planning to expand this access to all Senate hearings in the coming months.
I think Feterman’s case demonstrates the success of using accommodations to integrate people with disabilities into the workforce. I think the reaction to it all demonstrates the bias that people have towards people with disabilities.

I also think Oz lost because he was a terrible candidate. He was a millionaire carpet bagger from New Jersey who peddled dubious medical snake oil on his TV show. His video where he went into “Wegner’s” and complained about the cost of crudité was political malpractice.
Fetterman is physically and emotionally incapable of performing a high-stress, high-power job. Pretending like this is synonymous with providing wheel chair access to the Capitol is misguided at best. This situation is not dissimilar to Caligula appointing his horse to the Roman Senate, except perhaps that the horse was in better physical condition than Fetterman is now. He does not have a "disability" he suffered a serious medical event and is suffering the debilitating and ongoing effects of that event. The man needs serious emotional and physical help and he should get that. We should hope and pray for his full recovery but as a Pennsylvanian I would like to be represented by a Senator that can hold a conversation and who is up to the task of actual deliberation. I would be all for allowing our Democratic governor to appoint a replacement. Couching this though in the language of inclusion and accommodation does a disservice to people with actual disabilities that nonetheless have the physio-cognitive abilities to perform their duties adequately. Furthermore, it does a disservice to one John Fetterman who should be receiving 'round the clock care and not have to worry about appearing well in public when he clearly isn't.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church