PA state senate: Oz vs. Fetterman

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: PA state senate: Oz vs. Fetterman

Post by Josh »

The Senate is a job where one has to ask and answer questions and debate.

There are a lot of jobs stroke victims can’t do.
1 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Sliceitup wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:55 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:42 am
JimFoxvog wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:11 am
Being disabled in speaking, probably temporarily, does not make one "mentally retarded". Compare the platforms of the candidates--people are voting for what a candidate stands for, not for eloquence.
He's the last guy I would have voted for but let's try to show some compassion towards a stroke victim, okay?
During the Oz-Fetterman debate I was once again reminded of how much value our society places on being a good public speaker. Fetterman sounded so bad. There were time when his answers were very well spoken, multiple thoughts strung together, but when he was forced to answer a question in a way that he wasn’t prepared for, then he struggled.

I had to think of some people I love who really struggle with quickly answering questions. I’m usually quick with my thoughts and responses, but know many who aren’t. It took me a long time to be comfortable with the inevitable wait after I asked them a question.
There is however quite a difference between being a bad public speaker (which it seems Oz is too, despite his television background) and being cognitively impaired. Dasha Burns at NBC alerted the public to this issue prior to the debate - her concern had nothing to do with his public speaking abilities and everything to do with the fact that, even with the help of a teleprompter, he had difficulty carrying on a coherent conversation. The fact remains that Pennsylvanians elected to the Senate (what was once called 'the greatest deliberative body in the world') a man that is severely, cognitively impaired as the result of a medical incident. That he may improve and regain full, cognitive function remains to be seen and is something that thoughtful people of all political persuasions can hope and pray for.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Franklin wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:38 pm This is just representative democracy in action. A mentally retarded senator to represent a mentally retarded electorate. Best not to focus too much on politics, for one's own sanity.
Being disabled in speaking, probably temporarily, does not make one "mentally retarded". Compare the platforms of the candidates--people are voting for what a candidate stands for, not for eloquence.
And yet when it was Trump, he was HATED for his way with words
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:42 am
Franklin wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:38 pm This is just representative democracy in action. A mentally retarded senator to represent a mentally retarded electorate. Best not to focus too much on politics, for one's own sanity.
He's the last guy I would have voted for but let's try to show some compassion towards a stroke victim, okay?
I guess it's hearsay to say i heard the Dems are considering Fetterman for Presidency- do we see a pattern?
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:17 am
There is however quite a difference between being a bad public speaker (which it seems Oz is too, despite his television background) and being cognitively impaired.

Dasha Burns at NBC alerted the public to this issue prior to the debate - her concern had nothing to do with his public speaking abilities and everything to do with the fact that, even with the help of a teleprompter, he had difficulty carrying on a coherent conversation.

The fact remains that Pennsylvanians elected to the Senate (what was
once called 'the greatest deliberative body in the world')
a man that is severely, cognitively impaired as the result of a medical incident.

That he may improve and regain full, cognitive function remains to be seen and is something that thoughtful people of all political persuasions can hope and pray for.

For many years, i’ve believe the one+only group deservng of legally protected status is the disabled.
Others are sufficiently covered by common law. There should be no humanly created super-citizens.

My husband was a leading civil engineer who became cognitively impaired through terminal illness.

There came a day when his decades-long dear friend and boss had to tell him, “no more.” No more of his life’s work.
He came home from work, walked into the kitchen, and told me, without anger or shame. It was not what he wanted, but he knew it had to be. He respected the decision. We moved on from that day, accepting each day (in gratitude) as it came.

Feeble attempts at explanations/excuses ring completely hollow. There is no sugar-coating.
Admit error. Apologize. First, to the exploited Fettermans.

This country has had numerous awful public speakers. George W comes to mind. obama. DJT had great moments, completely ignored, plenty of not-great moments (which, apparently, will never disappear). biden is a disaster.

The U.S. earns an “A+” for awful orators.**

Party lines are now proven to be greater-than any other factor. “Platforms.” (cough)
So powerful, they convinced dedicated Christians to vote for wholesale murder of infants, pediatric mutilation, gov promotion and funding of carnal sin, destruction of traditional families, organized defiance of the USSC, “organized everything,” pushing selective service registration on everyone’s daughters, and so much more.

The situation has become so extreme, so ugly, my view is, conservatives would be better off to recognize THE LOST, withdraw, turn it over to God, and let the inevitable unfold. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. You might just get it.

There are situations so dire the only self-respecting thing to do is walk away. Pray for the lost.
Frankly, i believe, without a stated adversary, the whole ugly matter would implode on itself. No basis for existence.

Grace’s short video sums it up. It’s not complete. But sufficient for the task.
i’m sorry for The True Believers. i understand the pain of deceit. wipe away the confusion of human reasoning. it’s a killer.
Grace wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:08 am
ohio jones wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:09 am
The center ain't where it used to be.
So True . Center is now radically far left, from what it was 25 years ago.
Interesting video.

**Wait. Grades are racist. Can’t use letter grades.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:20 am I guess it's hearsay to say i heard the Dems are considering Fetterman for Presidency- do we see a pattern?
.. “i read” .. the idea of biden appointing newsom as VP, then retiring.
of course, early-on, there was the idea that biden would retire, replaced with kh. (it seems Dems may have some standards.) :?

but, no matter. i suspected this “party platform” (or gangster, cabal) mentality when obama was selected. i was unsure.
some saw it ‘way before i did. it’s become undeniable.

once hills lost 2016, THE MACHINE went GLOVES OFF.
the career politician machine, not just Dems.

thus making individual candidates completely insignificant.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I’ve been assisting two people with a (temporary) disability. One thing I’ve noticed is that handicapped parking spots are always full, and the people using them aren’t actually disabled. They’re just obese and lazy.

So someone who actually is on crutches, etc. can’t even get a handicapped parking spot. The entire “disability” racket in America needs to end.
2 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:05 am I’ve been assisting two people with a (temporary) disability. One thing I’ve noticed is that handicapped parking spots are always full, and the people using them aren’t actually disabled. They’re just obese and lazy.

So someone who actually is on crutches, etc. can’t even get a handicapped parking spot. The entire “disability” racket in America needs to end.
i’m happy to say, i do not notice abuse of handicapped parking spots, i’m aware of complaints.
my husband was ambulatory until near his end, parking was not a big issue for us.

i’m not aware of a disability racket, but i know every human construct is vulnerable to incompetence+corruption.

having said that, i’m still ok with protected status for the disabled. many suffer far more than we did, as bad as it was.

i’d prefer others lose the designation, they tend to be far more self-serving than the disabled, and overly aggressive about their special rights and taxpayer funded benefits, i.e., greed.
0 x

UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:05 am I’ve been assisting two people with a (temporary) disability. One thing I’ve noticed is that handicapped parking spots are always full, and the people using them aren’t actually disabled. They’re just obese and lazy.

I agree with Josh. It is becoming a racket. I had a co-worker that was ten years younger than me get his handicap permit so he could park closer to the door to our workplace. Couldn't say a word about it, though. He had HR on speed dial :?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:28 am

I agree with Josh. It is becoming a racket. I had a co-worker that was ten years younger than me get his handicap permit so he could park closer to the door to our workplace. Couldn't say a word about it, though. He had HR on speed dial :?
Ok. i believe you.
Now to magnify these atrocities over our entire gov system. So many people “on the take” for whatever protections+benefits they can squeeze out of the system. Not just U.S. citizens! Not just the poor! Top-down, Bottom-up, everyone’s looking for the next handout.

As long as gov rewards, there will be competition to take! No matter what is compromised or lost in the process.
0 x

UNKNOWN