PA state senate: Oz vs. Fetterman

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

PA state senate: Oz vs. Fetterman

Post by steve-in-kville »

I don't frequent this forum, and I don't follow politics all that close, but the Pennsylvania senate race has caught my attention. I didn't see any clips from the debate that took place a few days ago but I heard Fetterman really botched it due to a stroke he had earlier in the year, and I heard Oz got really cocky in his replies.

Any of my fellow Pennsylvanians care to weigh in on this? This may be the only time I start a thread in Politics, so jump on it 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: PA state senate: Oz vs. Fetterman

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:59 am I don't frequent this forum, and I don't follow politics all that close, but the Pennsylvania senate race has caught my attention. I didn't see any clips from the debate that took place a few days ago but I heard Fetterman really botched it due to a stroke he had earlier in the year, and I heard Oz got really cocky in his replies.

Any of my fellow Pennsylvanians care to weigh in on this? This may be the only time I start a thread in Politics, so jump on it 8-)
I watched parts of the debate and it was very painful to watch. Even with a very large closed caption screen helping Fetterman to follow the conversation he was not cognitive enough to follow along and to express himself in understandable ways, at times. I am opposed to his radical leftist agenda, in allowing abortion up almost the ninth month, releasing criminals early, his promise to raise our taxes, when he didn't pay his, flip flopping on fracking etc. However he clearly is still recovering from his stroke, and for that I only have compassion for him. It is also sad that the Democrats and his wife put him out there, in the condition he is in. They should be ashamed, allowing him to even run and then putting him up against a slick TV personality. He obviously needs more time to recover. As for Dr. Oz, I didn't find him any more cocky than Fetterman's attempts to do the same.
1 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Oz is a pretty bad candidate and in general, his and Mastriano's candidacies speak poorly of Pennsylvania Republicans. Fetterman's continued candidacy though speaks even worse of Pennsylvania Democrats. He should not have been on that stage, he should not be running, indeed he should have dropped out of the Primary. If he had, Connor Lamb would be walking into the Senate seat right now. Fetterman should be at home, recovering from a serious medical event that has left him with the inability to form coherent sentences above a 3rd grade level. His answers on Tuesday were contradictory, simplistic, word salads. The Democratic Party of Pa is showing its true cynical, Machiavellian colors by having kept him in the race and for that they should be ashamed of themselves.

There's real speculation, given credence by a Biden gaffe the other day, that if Fetterman wins, he will immediately resign and his wife will be appointed to fill the seat. If that's true, Pa Democrats and the Fetterman campaign are being deliberately deceitful, craven and gaslighting the voters of Pennsylvania; chiding us for noticing that this man is medically unfit to hold office (calling that ableism) whilst planning a contingency that admits just that.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:39 am Oz is a pretty bad candidate and in general, his and Mastriano's candidacies speak poorly of Pennsylvania Republicans. Fetterman's continued candidacy though speaks even worse of Pennsylvania Democrats. He should not have been on that stage, he should not be running, indeed he should have dropped out of the Primary. If he had, Connor Lamb would be walking into the Senate seat right now.

Fetterman should be at home, recovering from a serious medical event that has left him with the inability to form coherent sentences above a 3rd grade level. His answers on Tuesday were contradictory, simplistic, word salads. The Democratic Party of Pa is showing its true cynical, Machiavellian colors by having kept him in the race and for that they should be ashamed of themselves.

There's real speculation, given credence by a Biden gaffe the other day, that if Fetterman wins, he will immediately resign and his wife will be appointed to fill the seat. :shock:

If that's true, Pa Democrats and the Fetterman campaign are being deliberately deceitful, craven and gaslighting the voters of Pennsylvania; chiding us for noticing that this man is medically unfit to hold office (calling that ableism) whilst planning a contingency that admits just that.
i appreciate all you’re saying here.
i have avoided following any of this. i’ve seen headlines, not read further. i pray for the best.

i saw a clip of biden’s “gaffe” - i found it chilling; honestly, it made me think “the part he left out” was (from memory)-
“your wife will do great in office - like Jill is doing.” there was that sort of comradery in his tone.

i sense similar in WJC re hills. (the not-so-subtle shift to lib-concocted matriarchy) is unsettling.

- - - - - - -

i’m kinda surprised a buddy of Oprah would not be a shoe-in!
obviously, “R” is THE problem. the political unforgiveable sin.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:00 am i’m kinda surprised a buddy of Oprah would not be a shoe-in!
The "R" is not the issue here. Remember he is running to replace, a very conservative, Republican, Pat Toomey who would almost certainly have won if he'd chosen to run again and had been able to survive the primary gauntlet of Republican primary voters who seem singularly obsessed with electing candidates that swear fealty to the notion that the 2020 election was a fraud. For that obsession they've reaped particularly awful candidates in Doug Mastriano and Mehmet Oz; the later of which is a carpet-bagging, flip-flopper who was for abortion before he called it murder before he wanted to leave it up to local officials. Any normal Republican would be walking away with both the gubernatorial and senatorial races in Pennsylvania right now - but the Pennsylvania Republican voters sowed with 'election 2020 myopia' and are now reaping a Democratic Governor and most likely, a Democratic Senator that is severely, cognitively impaired.
2 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

I’m curious if anyone has experienced or watched someone else recover from a stroke that caused difficulty in the same way that Fetterman has. I’m wondering how long it usually takes to ‘get back to normal.’ The only person I know well who had a stroke dealt more with physical limitations. I don’t recall speech difficulties but it was a long time ago, so I could have forgotten.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:07 pm
temporal1 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:00 am i’m kinda surprised a buddy of Oprah would not be a shoe-in!
The "R" is not the issue here. Remember he is running to replace, a very conservative, Republican, Pat Toomey who would almost certainly have won if he'd chosen to run again and had been able to survive the primary gauntlet of Republican primary voters who seem singularly obsessed with electing candidates that swear fealty to the notion that the 2020 election was a fraud. For that obsession they've reaped particularly awful candidates in Doug Mastriano and Mehmet Oz; the later of which is a carpet-bagging, flip-flopper who was for abortion before he called it murder before he wanted to leave it up to local officials. Any normal Republican would be walking away with both the gubernatorial and senatorial races in Pennsylvania right now - but the Pennsylvania Republican voters sowed with 'election 2020 myopia' and are now reaping a Democratic Governor and most likely, a Democratic Senator that is severely, cognitively impaired.
yikes. i really have been out of it.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Sliceitup wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:26 pm I’m curious if anyone has experienced or watched someone else recover from a stroke that caused difficulty in the same way that Fetterman has. I’m wondering how long it usually takes to ‘get back to normal.’ The only person I know well who had a stroke dealt more with physical limitations. I don’t recall speech difficulties but it was a long time ago, so I could have forgotten.
My great grandmother had a stroke when I was young and it took her quite a while to regain function of speech - I remember her not being able to get my name out even though I could tell she knew who I was.
2 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sliceitup wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:26 pm I’m curious if anyone has experienced or watched someone else recover from a stroke that caused difficulty in the same way that Fetterman has. I’m wondering how long it usually takes to ‘get back to normal.’ The only person I know well who had a stroke dealt more with physical limitations. I don’t recall speech difficulties but it was a long time ago, so I could have forgotten.
My uncle never got "back to normal".

The idea of him running for Senator would have been completely absurd (and he was qualified - I'd say more qualified than Fetterman was - before the stroke, with a distinguished military officer career.)
1 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

If politicians are basically just going to follow what the party bosses dictate, does it really matter whether they sharp as a tack?
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3