PA state senate: Oz vs. Fetterman

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: PA state senate: Oz vs. Fetterman

Post by Szdfan »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:13 pm This situation is not dissimilar to Caligula appointing his horse to the Roman Senate, except perhaps that the horse was in better physical condition than Fetterman is now.
Wow. That’s one of the worst and most insulting analogies I’ve come across recently.
Last edited by Szdfan on Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

If we’re going to talk about people who are mentally incompetent to hold office then I think Diane Feinstein is a much better candidate.

I think the circumstances surrounding Fetterman’s stroke make it a really tough situation. The timing of his stroke was super close to election, and it’s basically impossible to know what the recovery will look like in the short time frame between the stroke and the primary election. And it was tough to accurately say what he would be like by the general Election Day.

His deficits really disguise the true state of his actual mental capacity. And that makes all of this even more difficult. Because I know how difficult it is to judge someone based on their speaking abilities. I’ve made that mistake before.

But kudos to him for being forthright about the depression and willing to get help.
2 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Speaking ability is required to be a Senator.
2 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Sliceitup wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:25 pm If we’re going to talk about people who are mentally incompetent to hold office then I think Diane Feinstein is a much better candidate.
I completely agree. She seems non compos mentis and the Democratic party of California ought to bring pressure on her to resign now and allow a replacement to be appointed.

Here's Nellie Bowles this morning:
Feinstein, at 89 the eldest and longest-serving senator, declared her plans to retire. There’s an indignity to all this—she seemed confused about the announcement.

But the Feinstein I think we should remember is early Feinstein, the woman who, fifty years ago, began to serve in the chaotic 1970s Bay Area. From a great San Francisco Chronicle story on Feinstein, who at the time was viewed as an establishment moderate: “Underground radicals shot out the windows of her weekend home in Monterey Bay.” And when the pioneering local politician Harvey Milk was shot and killed, she was the first to find his body. She “knelt to poke a finger through a bullet hole.” When it was clear he was dead, she stood up to give a speech to the crowd.

These old (and I mean seriously old) senators should retire earlier so we can remember them at their height, not watch them stumbling through marble halls, ushered around by aides. Although, this observation is unrelated to my next item.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:24 pm
HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:13 pm This situation is not dissimilar to Caligula appointing his horse to the Roman Senate, except perhaps that the horse was in better physical condition than Fetterman is now.
Wow. That’s one of the worst and most insulting analogies I’ve come across recently.
And yet true.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Sliceitup wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:25 pm If we’re going to talk about people who are mentally incompetent to hold office then I think Diane Feinstein is a much better candidate.

I think the circumstances surrounding Fetterman’s stroke make it a really tough situation. The timing of his stroke was super close to election, and it’s basically impossible to know what the recovery will look like in the short time frame between the stroke and the primary election. And it was tough to accurately say what he would be like by the general Election Day.

His deficits really disguise the true state of his actual mental capacity. And that makes all of this even more difficult. Because I know how difficult it is to judge someone based on their speaking abilities. I’ve made that mistake before.

But kudos to him for being forthright about the depression and willing to get help.
I think there are definitely things to be concerned Feterman’s condition. We are also outside observers who don’t have any actual medical information. His doctors have cleared him for work and other than audio processing issues, they don’t report cognitive issues.

I got to say, the comparison between Feterman and Caligula’s horse is one of the most breathtaking contemptuous things I’ve read about disabled individuals in a long time.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:28 pm
And yet true.
No it’s not. It’s dehumanizing BS.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:41 pm
And yet true.
I sincerely hope Fetterman can eventually get well. However In his condition, he is not fit to handle the high pressures of politics. What is truly dehumanizing is the fact that to maintain control in the senate, Democrats forced an unhealthy man into a stressed filled environment that has taken its toll. They really did not care about the humanity of a very sick man, that needs to recover from a life changing stroke. They only cared about his vote in the Senate.

Also the sad situation with John Fetterman has nothing to do with nonacceptance of disabled people in the workplace. But is all about being capable of doing a job. There may be a time after extensive healing that he may be capable of doing the job. But it is obvious it isn't now.
2 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Grace wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:22 pm

Also the sad situation with John Fetterman has nothing to do with nonacceptance of disabled people in the workplace. But is all about being capable of doing a job. There may be a time after extensive healing that he may be capable of doing the job. But it is obvious it isn't now.
You said it better than I could. Thank you.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:41 pm
And yet true.
He has been treated like a dehumanized prop by the Democratic Party of Pennsylvania since June of last year. They cared about using him to help win the Senate, they didn’t care about his well-being or what was in his best interest.

Democrats used Fetterman to win Senate power.
Caligula used a horse to win Senate power.

At the risk of being obvious: the analogy is between Caligula and the Democrats, not Fetterman and a horse. Though I did draw a lesser analogy saying that the horse was probably in better physical condition. We draw comparisons between animals and people all the time and it’s generally not considered shocking or bs. Indeed, I’d venture that the horse was probably in better physical health than my grandmother currently is. I love my grandmother.
2 x