PA state senate: Oz vs. Fetterman

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: PA state senate: Oz vs. Fetterman

Post by RZehr »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:41 pm
HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:28 pm
Szdfan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:24 pm
Wow. That’s one of the worst and most insulting analogies I’ve come across recently.
And yet true.
No it’s not. It’s dehumanizing BS.
Is it dehumanizing etc, to call someone a male donkey?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Fetterman and his exploiters are not alone in need of healing prayers.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

All of his friends thought him gloomy. Some of them thought him dangerously so. His “melancholy” was an accepted fact about him, the way his gifts for oratory and ribald humor were. A painter engaged to paint him recalled that
There were days when I could scarcely look into it without crying…his hands behind him, great black rings under his eyes—a sight so full of sorrow, care, and anxiety as would have “melted the hearts of the worst…adversaries.”
And with all of this, Abraham Lincoln went on to win the Civil War, save the American Republic, and now goes down in history as our greatest president.

In the 19th Century, depression was called "melancholy" which I frankly think is a much more interesting and better word.

In any event, Fetterman is not my Senator, but as long as he isn't incapacitated I'm willing to cut him some slack. This PA Senate seat will be in Democratic hands until at least 2028. If Fetterman were to resign or fail to serve out the term for any reason, Democratic governor Shapiro would simply appoint another Democrat to take his place and serve out his term. Possibly someone like Tom Wolf, the popular former Democratic governor. Or someone like Connor Lamb who Fetterman defeated in the primary. Or Austin Davis, the young Lt. Governor who is apparently popular. I doubt any of them would vote much differently than Fetterman on any significant legislation in the upcoming terms.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:32 pm
All of his friends thought him gloomy. Some of them thought him dangerously so. His “melancholy” was an accepted fact about him, the way his gifts for oratory and ribald humor were. A painter engaged to paint him recalled that
There were days when I could scarcely look into it without crying…his hands behind him, great black rings under his eyes—a sight so full of sorrow, care, and anxiety as would have “melted the hearts of the worst…adversaries.”
And with all of this, Abraham Lincoln went on to win the Civil War, save the American Republic, and now goes down in history as our greatest president.

In the 19th Century, depression was called "melancholy" which I frankly think is a much more interesting and better word.

In any event, Fetterman is not my Senator, but as long as he isn't incapacitated I'm willing to cut him some slack. This PA Senate seat will be in Democratic hands until at least 2028. If Fetterman were to resign or fail to serve out the term for any reason, Democratic governor Shapiro would simply appoint another Democrat to take his place and serve out his term. Possibly someone like Tom Wolf, the popular former Democratic governor. Or someone like Connor Lamb who Fetterman defeated in the primary. Or Austin Davis, the young Lt. Governor who is apparently popular. I doubt any of them would vote much differently than Fetterman on any significant legislation in the upcoming terms.
Senators do more than just vote. The proper thing would be for Shapiro to appoint a replacement.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:10 am
Ken wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:32 pm

Senators do more than just vote. The proper thing would be for Shapiro to appoint a replacement.
He has no power to do so unless Fetterman resigns.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:27 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:10 amSenators do more than just vote. The proper thing would be for Shapiro to appoint a replacement.
Yes. I'm just saying it wouldn't result in an upset of the political balance of power.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:24 pm Yes. I'm just saying it wouldn't result in an upset of the political balance of power.
odd how, since this new wrinkle began in this thread, P.16, those who wouldn’t have supported Fetterman’s run to begin have responded to his present personal needs and healing; those in his, let’s say, “political camp,” have focused on potential threats of “their side’s” political loss - which, in this case, isn’t any description potential loss, at all.

it seems, the Clinton-era stance of, “never admit guilt!” has morphed into,”never admit physical or mental weakness” either.
never consider the greater good before self. :-|

this may be uncharted division in the U.S., i don’t know. (it’s not in world history.) extreme (and unnecessary) defensiveness.

i never expected Nixon’s resignation to be the last of its kind in U.S. politics.
it was serious. it wasn’t considered The End of the World. life moved on.

there are some deeply unhealthy dynamics leading.

channeling Caligula and his depraved times is not out of reason.

i’m still here:
temporal1 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:48 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:45 am That election was most certainly rigged.
https://lancasteronline.com/news/politi ... 81f80.html
.. prayers for his full recovery, and his soul. prayers for his precious family.
prayers for those evidently without souls who believe anything is acceptable “for the win.”
Last edited by temporal1 on Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:24 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:27 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:10 amSenators do more than just vote. The proper thing would be for Shapiro to appoint a replacement.
Yes. I'm just saying it wouldn't result in an upset of the political balance of power.
He is suffering from depression which is actually a well documented side effect of strokes that usually goes away within a year: https://www.stroke.org/en/about-stroke/ ... and-stroke

Would we feel the same if it was some physical issue? Plenty of politicians have physical disabilities that pull them away from duties from time to time. Greg Abbott of Texas, for example. Should he be replaced because he is in a wheelchair and sometimes can't fulfill his duties for medical reasons?

Or is mental health a separate and more disqualifying issue than physical health? And, if so, what message does that give to the millions of Americans who are struggling with various mental health issues today?

If the Republicans hadn't picked an unqualified carpet-bagger from New Jersey as their candidate we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. The people of PA decided that they would rather be represented by an actual Pennsylvanian who was recovering from a stroke, over a New Jersey celebrity millionaire and Trump endorsee with no apparent ties to the state. They made that choice with all the information before them.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:57 pmHe is suffering from depression which is actually a well documented side effect of strokes that usually goes away within a year: https://www.stroke.org/en/about-stroke/ ... and-stroke
That doesn't make any difference. He cannot discharge the duties of his office effectively.

If depression resulting in needing to be in a mental institution is so often a consequence of stroke, that means that stroke victims are even less able to function as Senators.
Would we feel the same if it was some physical issue? Plenty of politicians have physical disabilities that pull them away from duties from time to time. Greg Abbott of Texas, for example. Should he be replaced because he is in a wheelchair and sometimes can't fulfill his duties for medical reasons?
A physical issue like being a wheelchair has zero bearing on being a governor or a Senator. The Senate is a deliberative body where Senators are expected to debate one another, give speeches, and generally be of sound mound. Someone who has a stroke and cannot speak properly and also has depressive episodes meaning he cannot function at all is not fit to be a Senator.
Or is mental health a separate and more disqualifying issue than physical health? And, if so, what message does that give to the millions of Americans who are struggling with various mental health issues today?
Yes, mental health is a different issue than physical health. There are a lot of mental illnesses that make it impossible to do a variety of jobs. That's just reality. Fetterman should be either doing a job he can perform, or else availing himself of disability.

There are a lot of jobs out there other than being a U.S. Senator.
If the Republicans hadn't picked an unqualified carpet-bagger from New Jersey as their candidate we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. The people of PA decided that they would rather be represented by an actual Pennsylvanian who was recovering from a stroke, over a New Jersey celebrity millionaire and Trump endorsee with no apparent ties to the state. They made that choice with all the information before them.
Republicans have nothing to do with the present situation.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i guess we’re officially beyond the concepts of personal dignity, self-sacrifice, and, “for the greater good.”
which were formerly important aspects of civic mentality, public service, elected office, etc.

these used to be a commonly valued concepts presented to the youngest children in churches and schools. the honor system.

these concepts are thrown out the window when human courts of law become involved.
at that point, it’s anything goes to prevail in egos and word battles.

that’s not conversation. courts of law are not conversation. it’s devolved to war of words.

in this case, literally, over nothing.
there’s a good chance Fetterman might get needed help if his managers would allow it.
this would be a healthy model.

- - - - - - -

btw ..
i have, my family has, most on this forum probably have or may now be experiencing all sorts of disabilities, have loved ones who know all about “accomodations” in the school system (by federal law) .. taking the stand that this forum is comprised of ignorant bigotted idiots .. reflects more on those with those faulty presumptions than others. just sayin’.

to suggest members here do not understand, respect, care for the disabled is: patently false.
0 x

UNKNOWN