US-Canada Trade War

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: US-Canada Trade War

Post by appleman2006 »

mike wrote:The cheese market in the US has finally gained some traction in the last few months, which should ease some of the pain for US dairy farmers as this affects milk prices. Now it's the egg market that is taking it on the chin due to oversupply. I literally bought a skid of medium eggs at $.37/dz last week which we gave away one per customer. It's about the same cost as giving a pen or some other trinket away.

I enjoyed selling an Ontario restaurant owner who was traveling through the area $550 worth of cheese for his buffet this morning. The savings over prices in Canada must have paid for a nice bit of his trip expenses...
I wonder if he declared it at the border. If he did he paid a fair bit in duty. It he did not and got caught it was the most expensive cheese he ever bought.
The most you can legally take across for personal use is 20 dollars worth a person right now I believe. .
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

ohio jones wrote:
mike wrote:Where are the advertising people that print logos on pens and caps? Surely it could be done on food... has modern technology seriously not come up with this yet?
Of course they have.
Holey Swiss Cheese.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

appleman2006 wrote:
mike wrote:The cheese market in the US has finally gained some traction in the last few months, which should ease some of the pain for US dairy farmers as this affects milk prices. Now it's the egg market that is taking it on the chin due to oversupply. I literally bought a skid of medium eggs at $.37/dz last week which we gave away one per customer. It's about the same cost as giving a pen or some other trinket away.

I enjoyed selling an Ontario restaurant owner who was traveling through the area $550 worth of cheese for his buffet this morning. The savings over prices in Canada must have paid for a nice bit of his trip expenses...
I wonder if he declared it at the border. If he did he paid a fair bit in duty. It he did not and got caught it was the most expensive cheese he ever bought.
The most you can legally take across for personal use is 20 dollars worth a person right now I believe. .
That's interesting.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

mike wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:

What does a customer do with one egg? Did you personalize them as well?
One egg per customer - now that would have been being a real tightwad at a cost of 3 cents per egg. We gave them away by the dozen... no personalization, but that's a great thought. Where are the advertising people that print logos on pens and caps? Surely it could be done on food... has modern technology seriously not come up with this yet?
They have it on pasteurized eggs...
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

appleman2006 wrote:The most you can legally take across for personal use is 20 dollars worth a person right now I believe. .
Maybe he was on a bus with at least 27 other people.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken