January 6 Coup Attempt

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: January 6 Coup Attempt

Post by JimFoxvog »

I'm posting this here because I thought it was funny, but maybe too political for the "I thought it was funny" thread.

trump-job-interview.jpg
1 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

JimFoxvog wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:07 pm I'm posting this here because I thought it was funny, but maybe too political for the "I thought it was funny" thread.
Yeah not very funny, beings Trump never called for vandalism. Add to that, Biden took classified documents as well, and stored them in a garage by his corvette. And who knows what secrets were sold to foreign nationals for the millions of dollars spread around in 20 different Biden bank accounts.
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

It is about to get interesting. They may not want this discovery.

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:54 pm It is about to get interesting. They may not want this discovery.

The subpoena has already been blocked.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... ena-jan-6/
A federal judge Monday rejected former President Trump’s efforts to subpoena information related to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack that the former president had accused government officials of failing to preserve, determining the request amounted to a “fishing expedition.”
Judge Tanya Chutkan, who is overseeing the federal case related to Trump’s actions to stay in power, said that he failed to meet the legal bar for subpoenaing the officials.

“The broad scope of the records that Defendant seeks, and his vague description of their potential relevance, resemble less ‘a good faith effort to obtain identified evidence’ than they do a general ‘fishing expedition’ that attempts to use the [Rule 17(c) subpoena] as a discovery device,’” she wrote.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

“The broad scope of the records that Defendant seeks, and his vague description of their potential relevance, resemble less ‘a good faith effort to obtain identified evidence’ than they do a general ‘fishing expedition’ that attempts to use the [Rule 17(c) subpoena] as a discovery device,’” she wrote.
Kind of what has been used against him.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:11 pm
Kind of what has been used against him.
How so?

Every piece of evidence used against him was the result of his own actions and his own communications as well as his direct subordinates.

The case against him wasn't built from anonymous sources.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:17 pmHow so?
According to Alan Dershowitz, some subpoenas used against Trump were too wide and vague just like the ones they were requesting. He points out the Mar-a-lago subpoena as one of those. I think he is fairly honest and straight about legal things. I do not always agree with his positions, but he is very consistent and does not follow the political path, but the legal and citizen rights path. I respect him for that.
0 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Maybe disjointed from the most recent posts, but appropriate for the thread?
I agree with this Republican Congressman,
"Republican Rep. Ken Buck laid into his own party Sunday, blasting those who continue to propagate the lie that the 2020 election was stolen, for “lying to America.”

' “Everybody who thinks that the election was stolen or talks about the election being stolen is lying to America,” ' the Colorado Republican said during an interview in CBS’ “Face the Nation.” [...] ' "“Everyone who makes the argument that January 6 was, you know, an unguided tour of the Capitol is lying to America. Everyone who says that the prisoners who are being prosecuted right now for their involvement in January 6, that they are somehow political prisoners or that they didn’t commit crimes, those folks are lying to America.' ”
2 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:28 am
Ken wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:17 pmHow so?
According to Alan Dershowitz, some subpoenas used against Trump were too wide and vague just like the ones they were requesting. He points out the Mar-a-lago subpoena as one of those. I think he is fairly honest and straight about legal things. I do not always agree with his positions, but he is very consistent and does not follow the political path, but the legal and citizen rights path. I respect him for that.
Do you think Alan Dershowitz was honest and straight about OJ Simpson? Claus von Bülow? Mike Tyson? Jeffrey Epstein? Leona Helmsley? Alan Dershowitz had a career defending people who do outrageously wrong things. Both in court and in the media. He is a devil's advocate. But that matches today's culture, doesn't it? The whole glorification of the "bad boy" who won't let morals get in the way. And Trump fits that description perfectly.

I think the juries got it right in each of these cases. Alan Dershowitz has made a career out of defending people who do outrageous things. It has also made him a media star. Trump has really helped restore his prominence.

Long after the juries hear the evidence and decide, people like Dershowitz are out there riling people up and defending the outrageous. Dershowitz is not the justice system. He has no obligation to let each side present its case. There are no appeals. There is no process to promote fair, informed decisions. The court system has to do all of this. There has to be a way to hear these cases, and that's the court system.

In the Mar-a-lago case, the judge is a Trump appointee who is very Trump friendly, he can raise any concerns he has there.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Jazman wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:55 am Maybe disjointed from the most recent posts, but appropriate for the thread?
I agree with this Republican Congressman,
"Republican Rep. Ken Buck laid into his own party Sunday, blasting those who continue to propagate the lie that the 2020 election was stolen, for “lying to America.”

' “Everybody who thinks that the election was stolen or talks about the election being stolen is lying to America,” ' the Colorado Republican said during an interview in CBS’ “Face the Nation.” [...] ' "“Everyone who makes the argument that January 6 was, you know, an unguided tour of the Capitol is lying to America. Everyone who says that the prisoners who are being prosecuted right now for their involvement in January 6, that they are somehow political prisoners or that they didn’t commit crimes, those folks are lying to America.' ”
People who promote bald-faced lies are not truth-tellers. A few lies like these, or the Dominion voting machine lies, should disqualify any source that promotes them.

Election boards and courts have access to the actual evidence. Let's stop listening to whatever voices on the Internet tickle our ears.
2 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?