January 6 Coup Attempt

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

January 6 Coup Attempt

Post by JimFoxvog »

I thought this deserved a new topic, rather than put it with the march.
Trump attempt at a coup to be a focus of U.S. House hearings, lawmaker Raskin says
By Richard Cowan
WASHINGTON, April 18 (Reuters) - ...

Then-President Donald Trump attempted a coup on Jan. 6, 2021, and that will be a centerpiece of committee hearings in Congress next month, said Democrat Jamie Raskin, a committee member who led the prosecution of Trump's second impeachment.

On that day in 2021, Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol building, encouraged by the Republican president in a speech outside the White House to protest formal congressional certification of Democrat Joe Biden's victory over Trump in a November 2020 election.

"This was a coup organized by the president against the vice president and against the Congress in order to overturn the 2020 presidential election," Raskin said in an interview with Reuters, Climate One radio program and The Guardian newspaper, when asked what he has learned so far from the committee's probe.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump- ... 022-04-18/
As many of you may know, Rep. Raskin was a constitutional law professor for many years, and is on the January 6 committee and has seen a whole lot more evidence than we have. He knows the law and what happened, so this is serious for those who care about our constitutional system of government.

I trust in God, not in government, and God works even when evil triumphs politically, but I still care about our country. Maybe I'm too patriotic?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: January 6 Coup Attempt

Post by temporal1 »

Prosecutors are notorious for using the most flamboyant+damning language possible, they throw it out there for whatever influence possible in effort to win their case. They deliberately throw red meat to hungry wolves, “licking their chops.”

Then, the defense steps in.

The public is played for fools, teased, exploited, never having full facts. (Too often, facts are withheld from juries, for that matter.)

i suppose, the subject line should read, “Alleged Jan 6 coup attempt.”
Unending manipulative language out there. It gets tiresome.

Reuters should be above it, but they definitely are not. Disappointing what they put out there.
2 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

What I expect will be clearly shown with abundant evidence is that Trump and others knew that Trump lost the election and that Trump and others knowingly used a variety of coordinated deceptive and illegal tactics to attempt to keep Trump in office.

Let's wait and see.
0 x
JimFoxvog

Re: "Alleged" January 6 Coup Attempt

Post by JimFoxvog »

temporal1 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:31 pm i suppose, the subject line should read, “Alleged Jan 6 coup attempt.”

Reuters should be above it, but they definitely are not. Disappointing what they put out there.
Saying "Alleged Jan 6 coup attempt" would be inaccurate. The headline refers to what Rep. Rankin said. He said "coup attempt", not "alleged coup attempt". Reuters is reporting accurately what Rep. Ranking said and clearly reporting the source.

Without us seeing all the evidence Rep. Rankin has seen, "alleged coup attempt" would be reasonable for our discussion.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

JimFoxvog wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:51 am
temporal1 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:31 pm i suppose, the subject line should read, “Alleged Jan 6 coup attempt.”

Saying "Alleged Jan 6 coup attempt" would be inaccurate. The headline refers to what Rep. Rankin said. He said "coup attempt", not "alleged coup attempt". Reuters is reporting accurately what Rep. Ranking said and clearly reporting the source.

Without us seeing all the evidence Rep. Rankin has seen, "alleged coup attempt" would be reasonable for our discussion.

Naturally many-many people are convinced of language recklessly thrown about in media, PROSECUTORS are well-aware of what lib-biased media will do with their damning language, it’s no accident. It’s done on a DAILY basis.

Occasionally, they get caught at it. Glaring examples: Sandmann, and now Rittenhouse.

Irresponsible media latched onto flamboyant language from the get-go: screaming “insurrection!” / “coup!” etc.

The public has the job of filtering through preemptive hyperbole, as you say, to CHOOSE TO WAIT.
Prosecutors+media have no such goal! They fully want the public to hang without trial. They do everything possible toward that grisly end. Every single day.

This thread does not represent waiting, watchfulness, neutrality, patience.

Again, i suggest you “consider your sources,” prosecutors, for one, lib biased+driven media for another.

The prosecutor knows very well his words are allegations.
He knows very well what will result from his preemptive hyperbolic language thrown out onto the public stage.
You complied. He’s unlikely to so much as thank you. You are a willing, giving, selfless servant, not expecting gratitude.

Eventually, there will be an actual ruling. (If the case is not dismissed or some other legal possibility.)

Prosecutors, biased media, politicians, want to get AS MUCH MILEAGE out of their flamboyant allegations possible, before the reality of rulings, verdicts, findings! This is tantamount to propaganda, which will STICK in public opinion, even when defendents are found innocent, not guilty, cases dismissed, or other. DAMAGE IS DONE. If the eventual ruling is not for the prosecution, people will be convinced “the courts got it wrong.”

It’s sickening. And calculated. And real.

Subject line: about quote marks
i suppose, if your subject line was a direct quote, it should be in quote marks, to indicate it is a verbatim quote.
i did not read it that way.
Last edited by temporal1 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Prosecutors are notorious for using the most flamboyant+damning language possible, they throw it out there for whatever influence possible in effort to win their case. They deliberately throw red meat to hungry wolves, “licking their chops.”

You are correct, they are "licking their chops". January 6, what a valuable resource to take the focus off the current state of affairs in this country and abroad.

People are suffering under record high inflation and gas prices. I just read somewhere about a substitute teacher who went back into the classroom to fill in and was appalled at how many children were living out of cars.

Biden lifted sanctions off Nordstream 2 and said he would overlook a "minor incursion" from Russia, thus emboldening Putin to attack Ukraine inflicting great suffering and death on it's people. Is it any wonder Putin saw this time as a window of opportunity to carry out his war-filled goals to cut through Ukraine and then start devouring little pieces of other countries.

We saw the huge debacle in the Afghanistan withdrawal killing 13 brave and beautiful young service men and women.

We have a border crisis with drugs and human traffickers coming through.

We see a weak president who shut down new oil leases on public land and imposed more regulations. A president who would rather work with foreign killers, than American drillers.

Yet you would think that January 6 and Trump is the biggest issue facing this nation right now. If only that were true.
1 x
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

Grace wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:11 am
You are correct, they are "licking their chops". January 6, what a valuable resource to take the focus off the current state of affairs in this country and abroad.
Yet you would think that January 6 and Trump is the biggest issue facing this nation right now. If only that were true.
This looks like an attempt to take the focus off what many think was the US almost losing our democratic system. How about starting a new thread on the "current state of affairs in this country and abroad"?
0 x
JimFoxvog

Post by JimFoxvog »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:11 am Subject line: about quote marks
i suppose, if your subject line was a direct quote, it should be in quote marks, to indicate it is a verbatim quote.
Yes, I agree quotes would have been more accurate.

IF what I expect to be shown turns out to be true, would you agree "coup attempt" would be an accurate characterization?
JimFoxvog wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:46 am What I expect will be clearly shown with abundant evidence is that Trump and others knew that Trump lost the election and that Trump and others knowingly used a variety of coordinated deceptive and illegal tactics to attempt to keep Trump in office.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Grace,
There is so much going wrong in the U.S., it’s not possible to comprehend.
Widespread problems hurting the general population, even me+my ilk, on the bottom.

One matter i see quietly going on under the radar is extreme fraud - i believe resulting from the present attitude that the deep pockets of gov spending, “will never miss” the millions, or even billions, stolen or gone missng.

In relation to “trillions” - what’s a million or a billion, here/there??

Criminals have “eyes bigger than their stomachs,” i believe resulting from irresponsible gov spending AND loose rhetoric, that encourages everyone (from welfare moms to multinational corporations, banks, wall street) to be “on the take” from government.

Things appear pitiful.
Honestly, i wonder if Congress may WANT Putin to “push the buttons” on big bombs, which would give them opp to reset a lot of the horrors they are now directing thru their own wanton policies? “We had no choice!” “Look at what Putin did!”

Incompetence married to corruption.
1 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

JimFoxvog wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:36 am
temporal1 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:11 am Subject line: about quote marks
Yes, I agree quotes would have been more accurate.

IF what I expect to be shown turns out to be true, would you agree "coup attempt" would be an accurate characterization?
JimFoxvog wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:46 am What I expect will be clearly shown with abundant evidence is that Trump and others knew that Trump lost the election and that Trump and others knowingly used a variety of coordinated deceptive and illegal tactics to attempt to keep Trump in office.

That remains to be seen.
i have been very disturbed at the horrifying allegations carelessly thrown around since Day 1. Since, different charges have been dismissed, and some have received modest rulings. Between the two, i really have no idea what will happen.

Add to that, i believe those same words could/should apply to much of what occurred, 2016-2020, but got no serious notice.

Your question is somewhat like HRC’s hyperthetical question to DJT about accepting elections.
He hesitated, which i thought was honest, and wise.
After all, how could he know how he would respond, not yet knowing all details surrounding the imagined event?

The question could have been in reverse.
HRC INITIALLY accepted the election results. She then dedicated 4 years to undermining his presidency in every possible way, and continues to this day. The entire DNC dedicated 4 years to undermining a seated president. :shock: You cannot make this up.

Often, when politicians are NOT held accountable (in ways ordinary people might see as “basic”) - i believe much of this is self-centered. Politicians know very well, while their opponent may be in The Hot Seat today, they could easily be in that same seat tomorrow!

These people are dirty and manipulative, they put on BIG SHOWS in attempt to sway voters. None are without sin.
So, i try not to have high expectations. Every effort has been made to frame DJT as particularly evil. i believe that to be FALSE.
They sure put on a big show, tho. Largely at taxpayer expense. No out of pocket for them!!

- - - - - -

My answer:
it would take a lot to accept the verdict you want, based on knowing the unbridled behaviors of his opponents/accusers - over YEARS+YEARS. i’m willing to wait, knowing how often rulings/verdicts do NOT align with wanton public propaganda.

i believe Soloist’s quote is from the ancient The Art of War:
Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:45 pm Appear weak when you are strong, appear strong when you are weak.

libs are obsessed with deafening media noise. if they had great policies, there would be no need. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN