Peacemaking after the Election

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Peacemaking after the Election

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:What i meant with "the new normal," in response to Robert's words above (i used a :?: to point out) .. was, i question, now with 24-7 hype-(not news) whether folks will be allowed to return to their everyday lives-work-school? when so many, instead, commit all that time to destruction, rather than constructive living. and, they are convinced they are "right" in doing so, 'cause their buddies all tell them they are.
That sounds like hype to me.

Here's my prediction: people are already living every day lives, working, going to school, and that will continue for the next 4 years. The country will not devolve into a bunch of riots. There will be no armed revolution. All of these things were predicted by some extremists in the last two elections, it's not what happened.

My father used to quote someone or other who said, "a coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man dies but one". Sometimes it's so easy to picture a million fear scenarios and panic, even though none of them will ever happen. Sufficient unto the day is the trouble thereof.
mike wrote:I doubt that ANYTHING related to this whole election is as bad or good as people think. Convincing people that we are in the worst or best scenario sells ads and makes websites, newspapers, bloggers and pundits more money. I think people should consume less media, myself included. Read good books, work on social connections as opposed to social media. I think that the media is what drives a lot of the fear and hype, and we would be better off by paying less attention. Let's not give them the clicks, views, and ratings. Focus on God's kingdom.
Well said.
Last edited by Bootstrap on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote:I doubt that ANYTHING related to this whole election is as bad or good as people think. Convincing people that we are in the worst or best scenario sells ads and makes websites, newspapers, bloggers and pundits more money. I think people should consume less media, myself included. Read good books, work on social connections as opposed to social media. I think that the media is what drives a lot of the fear and hype, and we would be better off by paying less attention. Let's not give them the clicks, views, and ratings. Focus on God's kingdom.
Amen and amen. You've summed up the Plain Catholic viewpoint on media as well. :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i did not vote for Illinois Governor Rauner in 2014.
but, from what i can see, he is an articulate, intelligent gentleman, a businessman, committed to doing this job.

it's hard to understand, because, like some others, he is wealthy and has every option to live outside the dreadful political arena. he has a beautiful wife, i'm certain they have abundant options.

instead, they face this. it's not a good situation.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote:
Amen and amen. You've summed up the Plain Catholic viewpoint on media as well. :up:
i believe, and i pray, the 2014 Mid Term elections, and now this 2016 General Election, are "notice served" to "media," people are "no longer buyin' what they are sellin'."

it's their cash-cow, naturally, they will push it for all their worth! be prepared to ignore noise!

it will take an extended period of similar rejection.
what has developed over several decades will require extended attention to quell.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote:That sounds like hype to me.
yes. you thoroughly enjoy your own personal opinions. :D
0 x

UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:That sounds like hype to me.
yes. you thoroughly enjoy your own personal opinions. :D
I really do think you were painting dramatic scenarios that are unlikely to occur.

What exactly do you think hype is? I think hype is about claims that go beyond reality, bringing in drama and emotion. As far as I can tell, most of us are still going to work, going to school, and will continue to do so for the next four years.

The easiest way to return to your everyday life is usually to turn off the computer, turn off the television, look around you, and take stock of your everyday life. Who is there to serve? Who needs love, and how can you show that love? What needs cleaning up or fixing? What can be crossed off your to-do list? Turn to God in prayer - what is he calling you to? Where do you need to grow? What is worth studying?
Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:What i meant with "the new normal," in response to Robert's words above (i used a :?: to point out) .. was, i question, now with 24-7 hype-(not news) whether folks will be allowed to return to their everyday lives-work-school? when so many, instead, commit all that time to destruction, rather than constructive living. and, they are convinced they are "right" in doing so, 'cause their buddies all tell them they are.
That sounds like hype to me.

Here's my prediction: people are already living every day lives, working, going to school, and that will continue for the next 4 years. The country will not devolve into a bunch of riots. There will be no armed revolution. All of these things were predicted by some extremists in the last two elections, it's not what happened.

My father used to quote someone or other who said, "a coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man dies but one". Sometimes it's so easy to picture a million fear scenarios and panic, even though none of them will ever happen. Sufficient unto the day is the trouble thereof.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

temporal1 wrote:... this 2016 General Election, are "notice served" to "media," people are "no longer buyin' what they are sellin'."

it's their cash-cow, naturally, they will push it for all their worth! be prepared to ignore noise!
Indeed, bloviation has become an addiction thanks to the internet. Self appointed experts spend most of their day/night trying to get the last word and "win" arguments.

We must indeed ignore the noise and seek out the quiet of God's presence.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Boot, one slight point of order: the country had already devolved into significant riots in the major cities. That hasn't happened because of an election in a long time.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:Boot, one slight point of order: the country had already devolved into significant riots in the major cities. That hasn't happened because of an election in a long time.
Riots? I know that there was violence in Portland, I thought most of the other protests were non-violent, and that Portland had retreated from violence. Am I missing something?

There are some reports of increased racist violence, and Trump has clearly asked his supporters to stop doing that. I don't have a good feeling for how much of that there is.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

To give an idea of how bad the fake news problem is, a conservative oriented person informed me Saturday that "the military aren't allowed to have Bibles anymore". Another person nodded in agreement. It is complete fiction.

Over on the left, people think all Muslims are going to be required to register with the government despite zero evidence for this.

My part in peacemaking right now is simply to encourage people around me to go easy on fake news that fills them up with fear.
0 x