Peacemaking after the Election

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Peacemaking after the Election

Post by barnhart »

joshuabgood wrote: Because I haven't found a publisher (yet) that produces a rigorous history curricula in the high school world from a Christocentric viewpoint, we prefer to use secular texts and interpret them through the story of Jesus, rather than using "American Christian" nationalist texts and then trying to sort out "gospel versus gospel."
I spy an unfilled niche market.
0 x
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

Bootstrap,
when I wrote about "the polished surface" of society, it was mainly adressed to you - but I suppose I have to say it somewhat more blunt:
You really think that a court decision is always correct? What do you do with the lot of revisions of judgments when the suspect has been proven innocent afterwards?
We can make peace on the base of "there must be an approximation of truth, and the courts are the least bad way to get there". But we cannot expect people to accept a rule "Whatever the courts decide, is absolute truth". This is way too far.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

OP, P.1. Nov 2016, When everyone was sure hillary would win: :P
Dan Z wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:53 am I've been around for a number of these elections...and I don't remember one with this much rancor, mudslinging, emotion...and yes, even hate. Frankly, it concerns me. Relational bridges are already burning...and the burning might continue literally after the election, because someone is going to loose...and some people are going to be hugely disappointing - and very angry

:arrow: (both sides have framed this election as either saving or damning the democracy). :shock:

Jesus calls us to be peacemakers.
So...for us as Anabaptist Christians, representatives of the way of Peace and the triumph of the Kingdom of Love...

How are we going to respond post-election in light of the relational harm already done, and in the midst of all of the potential incivility and hate that might lie ahead?

(Thought: In preparation, many of us have been sucked in, and we may need to begin with repentance for the feelings of bitterness we have harbored and the ways we have contributed to the rancor and ugliness).

I think we need to be ready to respond to the sickness and dysfunction that this election had brought out.
Page 1: Nov 2016
mike wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:01 am Those that haven't been walking the way of peace will probably not magically change after the election (especially if their favored party doesn't win). If we suddenly need to change into peace-makers after the election, then it is probably too late to keep our Christian testimony from being ruined.
Page 18: Nov 2020
ohio jones wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:12 pm
Valerie wrote:I doubt if there's a single Republican that will ever believe that this election wasn't full of fraud no matter what happens in the media or what evidence Lacks there is way too many claims from people thousands actually that witness things and I don't know what it will take time to sort out but in our heart of hearts we know.
Spotted elsewhere on the interwebs:
Two Trump supporters die & go to heaven. God welcomes them & asks if they have any questions.

"Yeah, what were the real results of the election & who was behind the fraud?"

"My child, there was no fraud. Biden won."

One turns to the other, "This goes higher than we thought."
Nov 2022 :lol:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:36 pm
Josh wrote:It really is striking how much Bootstrap believes in American exceptionalism.
I don't.
I do.

I do not believe in American perfectionism. I see the good and the bad, but see that the good does vastly outway the bad.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:34 pm
joshuabgood wrote: Because I haven't found a publisher (yet) that produces a rigorous history curricula in the high school world from a Christocentric viewpoint, we prefer to use secular texts and interpret them through the story of Jesus, rather than using "American Christian" nationalist texts and then trying to sort out "gospel versus gospel."
I spy an unfilled niche market.
That niche market might already be filled by Anabaptist publishers, including Pathway, Rod & Staff, CLE, and Eastern’s publishing arm.

One wonders why joshuagood would prefer secular curriculum over any of the above.
0 x
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Robert wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:59 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:36 pm
Josh wrote:It really is striking how much Bootstrap believes in American exceptionalism.
I don't.
I do.

I do not believe in American perfectionism. I see the good and the bad, but see that the good does vastly outway the bad.
What does American exceptionalism mean to you?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Sliceitup wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:07 pm What does American exceptionalism mean to you?
The Constitution and the culture in the USA is the most beneficial to help people out of poverty and not be locked into a caste system. It has a lot of charity and tolerance built in. There is not one voice dictating, but 50 (or more) voices working towards unity. Minorities have the same rights as the majority.

Our culture is not aggressive. Both the world wars and several smaller wars, the USA did not keep territory. It was given back to the people of those areas. This was unheard of until the USA. Much of that is cultural. This is because of the Christian foundation that the culture has to be charitable and compassionate to others. The US, government and population, far exceeds the amount of charity given to other countries. Most of the culture has a live and let live attitude. It has worked to right many of the wrongs within our culture and government. It knows it is not perfect, but working towards a "more perfect union."

Much of this is being lost on the new generations coming up. I hope that is a temporary thing, but since it is loosing its faith foundations, I think that it may not be temporary. I am not sure the exceptionalism will continue.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Robert wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:07 am
Sliceitup wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:07 pm What does American exceptionalism mean to you?
The Constitution and the culture in the USA is the most beneficial to help people out of poverty and not be locked into a caste system. It has a lot of charity and tolerance built in. There is not one voice dictating, but 50 (or more) voices working towards unity. Minorities have the same rights as the majority.

Our culture is not aggressive. Both the world wars and several smaller wars, the USA did not keep territory. It was given back to the people of those areas. This was unheard of until the USA. Much of that is cultural. This is because of the Christian foundation that the culture has to be charitable and compassionate to others. The US, government and population, far exceeds the amount of charity given to other countries. Most of the culture has a live and let live attitude. It has worked to right many of the wrongs within our culture and government. It knows it is not perfect, but working towards a "more perfect union."

Much of this is being lost on the new generations coming up. I hope that is a temporary thing, but since it is loosing its faith foundations, I think that it may not be temporary. I am not sure the exceptionalism will continue.
Your last sentence answers one of my main questions. It’s my understanding that some people see the US as a chosen nation, one that will always reign supreme, to put it in slightly grandiose terms.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

“Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.”
1 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Robert wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:07 am Our culture is not aggressive. Both the world wars and several smaller wars, the USA did not keep territory. It was given back to the people of those areas. This was unheard of until the USA.
I appreciate this change in the US. Historically most of US territory has been stolen, much of it illegally in violation of treaties. Of course, the US continues to break its treaty obligations.
0 x