Peacemaking after the Election

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Peacemaking after the Election

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote:In Maine we already had a law requiring coverage for pre-existing conditions (for which I'm thankful), and insurance was still affordable until the "affordable care act".
Wayne do you remember if coverage for pre-existing conditions was subsidized in any way by the state? Did the plans contain annual or lifetime limitations on benefits? How did the state prevent people from going without insurance until they developed, say, diabetes, for instance, and then purchasing health insurance because the premiums are cheaper than the cost to treat the illness?
Here's a good overview of the similarities and differences between the Republican "Romneycare" and the Democratic "Obamacare" plans. Click on the "similarities" and "differences" tabs.
Obamacare requires insurers to cover pre-existing conditions and prevents insurers from rescinding cover after an individual falls ill.

Romneycare in Massachusetts requires insurers to cover pre-existing conditions, but it allows them to limit that coverage to 6 months. It also prevents insurers from rescinding cover after an individual falls ill.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Bootstrap wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote:In Maine we already had a law requiring coverage for pre-existing conditions (for which I'm thankful), and insurance was still affordable until the "affordable care act".
A lot of the "affordable care act" was patterned after Maine's law, which was created by Republicans. The two programs were more similar than different. Now that we have a Republican president and Congress, maybe they can all be on the same side and fix what's broken. Most major programs need some fixing after they are first put into place, this is no exception.
Wrong state - you're thinking of Massachusetts.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Wayne in Maine wrote:Wrong state - you're thinking of Massachusetts.
Oops, I certainly am! Sorry!
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Wayne do you remember if coverage for pre-existing conditions was subsidized in any way by the state? Did the plans contain annual or lifetime limitations on benefits? How did the state prevent people from going without insurance until they developed, say, diabetes, for instance, and then purchasing health insurance because the premiums are cheaper than the cost to treat the illness?
People might be thinking of Massachusetts. Maine simply had a law requiring employer provided insurance (at least under certain circumstances) to cover pre-existing conditions. There were no state subsidies involved. Private insurance might have been handled differently. At several different companies I worked for (with different health care plans) most people carried insurance, which was subsidized by the employer and was reasonably priced. Even the cashiers at the convenience store chain I worked for could afford good health care coverage.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

This thread, Page 4 -
Robert wrote:And also remember how it felt to be marginalized by the previous administration and be patient. I remember the days after the 2012 elections when many felt stunned and lost with the reelection of Obama. After a few days, they all realized that the world did not end and things went on.

:?: This group will find the same.

I actually hope they use up all that Soros money that is funding them right now.
Less to be used to try to manipulate the elections next time.
(Okay, I think I just blew my previous sentences with this line). :lol:
Prayers need to become fervent prayers.
Many are invested in ensuring destructive division as a new normal. :-|
from Ben Carson News:
Soros, Big Donors to Meet at Anti-Trump Conclave
Billionaire George Soros and other big-money liberals who helped fund Hillary Clinton's losing presidential bid, began meeting in Washington to decide how to use their cash to fight President-elect Donald Trump, Politico reported.

The three-day conference of the powerful Democracy Alliance donor club began Sunday.
House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi, Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Congressional Progressive Caucus co-chairman Keith Ellison were scheduled to address the group, Politico said.

"If the agenda is any indication, liberals plan full-on trench warfare against Trump from Day One,"
the website noted.

Soros had poured in millions of dollars in support of Clinton's losing effort, Bloomberg reported.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:Many are invested in ensuring destructive division as a new normal. :-|
New? I don't think so. Destructive division has been at the heart of the culture wars for a long time.

We had the same declarations of enmity when Obama was elected. In fact, Trump was a major voice in this, claiming that Obama was not born in the United States, refusing to accept the legitimacy of his birth certificate, etc. Soros is no different from Koch. Our political system often seems to be more about winning - and beating the "other side" - than running the country. And that really hurts us.

Each side organizes to defeat the other instead of working together to run the government. It's like a marriage where the husband and wife each want to prove that they are right and the other is wrong while they neglect their jobs and running their household - everything goes to pot, both sides feel justified and blame it on the other. Your article points to one of those sides. The other side is doing the same. These days, there are more than two sides - various factions within the Republican party are also jockeying for position.

What is our job as Christian peacemakers? I think we need to repent of the culture wars, repent of spreading enmity, repent of repeating lies without even checking the facts, repent of making lists of enemies and participating in the constant drip, drip, drip of smears against people we have made our enemies. We have to stop loving the war and vilifying Christians who refuse to sign up for it. We have to speak the truth to each other, confronting culture warriors and reminding them of Kingdom principles.

That means refusing to participate in trench warfare on either side.

As for That Other Kingdom ... we need adults to work together to govern this country. That's important if we want to live in prosperity and peace, purposes for which God instituted governments. Our elected officials come from more than one party and from more than one place on the political spectrum. As strangers and aliens in this country, we need to pray for all of them, and pray that they will turn their attention to actually governing instead of all this political theater that is mostly a distraction from governing.
Last edited by Bootstrap on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:Prayers need to become fervent prayers.
Amen. Prayers for our country are really important right now. If we keep going down the path of more division and more hostility, it's not going to be good.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

I doubt that ANYTHING related to this whole election is as bad or good as people think. Convincing people that we are in the worst or best scenario sells ads and makes websites, newspapers, bloggers and pundits more money. I think people should consume less media, myself included. Read good books, work on social connections as opposed to social media. I think that the media is what drives a lot of the fear and hype, and we would be better off by paying less attention. Let's not give them the clicks, views, and ratings. Focus on God's kingdom.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

What i meant with "the new normal," in response to Robert's words above (i used a :?: to point out) .. was, i question, now with 24-7 hype-(not news) whether folks will be allowed to return to their everyday lives-work-school? when so many, instead, commit all that time to destruction, rather than constructive living. and, they are convinced they are "right" in doing so, 'cause their buddies all tell them they are.

In 2014, Illinois voters chose a (liberal) Republican Governor.
Every county in the state, except Cook County/Chicago, voted for him, and it was not close.
2014 Illinois
http://www.politico.com/2014-election/r ... CsmxtxOKhA

Since, the bitter stonewalling from Chicago/D.C. DNC (and local media) has been epic.
It's so blatant, it should make national news, but, i have not seen a word of it outside of local Illinois news.

Illinois "news" does NOT report on it! (they do not report on their own bias. of course not.)
they simply do not feature our governor on news topics, instead, they regularly interview DNC representatives, as tho we do not have a governor.

they have already chosen a DNC representative to replace Governor Rauner in the next election!
again, as tho we are in a window of operating without a governor. it's awful. Illinois is suffering in big ways. all for politics/power! there is no evidence of conscience. they believe in (themselves.)

this governor is not conservative!
this reveals "politics" at play.
it reveals these politicians have no interest in working "across the table."

i have feared Illinois might be a precursor to Trump's election, if that happened.
this is where Dan's thread, here, is so important.

prayers for so many who no longer have been taught any better.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote:I doubt that ANYTHING related to this whole election is as bad or good as people think. Convincing people that we are in the worst or best scenario sells ads and makes websites, newspapers, bloggers and pundits more money.

I think people should consume less media, myself included. Read good books, work on social connections as opposed to social media.

I think that the media is what drives a lot of the fear and hype, and we would be better off by paying less attention.

Let's not give them the clicks, views, and ratings.
Focus on God's kingdom.
my life is exponentially improved since FB locked me out.
the 24/7 HYPE (not news) is a scourge on the earth.

i enjoy reading news.
1-2 hours DAILY, would be quite sufficient to cover local, state, national, international news.
that would be to REMOVE personal opinions, speculation, "entertainment," none of this is news!

but all of it is used to drive a big-profit INDUSTRY. it's not news, it's for-profit industry.
0 x

UNKNOWN