Peacemaking after the Election

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Peacemaking after the Election

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:To give an idea of how bad the fake news problem is, a conservative oriented person informed me Saturday that "the military aren't allowed to have Bibles anymore". Another person nodded in agreement. It is complete fiction.

Over on the left, people think all Muslims are going to be required to register with the government despite zero evidence for this.

My part in peacemaking right now is simply to encourage people around me to go easy on fake news that fills them up with fear.
Very well said.

90% of the really scary things said on all sides turn out to be false. Any "news" source that keeps you fearful and angry all the time is probably unreliable with the truth - and that's true for both liberal and conservative sources.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Some are working hard not to make peace.

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Robert wrote:STOP TRUMP
Not even in office yet, and already he's creating jobs. :!:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Robert wrote:Some are working hard not to make peace.

Curious what your thoughts are regarding this ad? Do you think it's actually a post recruiting protesters against Trump, or do you think is it manufactured (fake) news intended to drive a narrative (that the anti-trump protests are a farce driven by big money)? Your observation would be accurate either way, of course.
Something just feels fishy about it; I wonder if it's somebody's idea of a joke...
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Dan Z: "How are we going to respond post-election in light of the relational harm already done, and in the midst of all of the potential incivility and hate that might lie ahead?"

A lot of the posts in this thread (including this one, ironically): "Those people are wrong."
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

ken_sylvania wrote: Curious what your thoughts are regarding this ad? Do you think it's actually a post recruiting protesters against Trump, or do you think is it manufactured (fake) news intended to drive a narrative (that the anti-trump protests are a farce driven by big money)? Your observation would be accurate either way, of course.
Something just feels fishy about it; I wonder if it's somebody's idea of a joke...
Not sure if this and a few other ads are real, but some organizations are hiring paid protestors right now. Project Veritas videos showed that to be very true.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Interesting Robert.

I heard president-elect Trump made the claim about paid protesters as well in a tweet. I don't especially doubt it, but would be interested in some proof...with all of the accusations and fake news out there (on all sides) in this political season, it seems prudent to test out a claim like this - especially in the context of this thread.

By the way, I went to Snopes, and all of their paid-protester investigations that I found were labeled either "false" or "unproven." I also went to Veritas, and didn't find anything about paid-protesters, but I'm not sure my research was thorough enough.

Could you link us to some proof of the widespread use of paid protesters?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Just so we are clear here Snopes is not a neutral source and has a decidedly anti-Christian bias.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Dan Z wrote:I heard president-elect Trump made the claim about paid protesters as well in a tweet. I don't especially doubt it, but would be interested in some proof...with all of the accusations and fake news out there (on all sides) in this political season, it seems prudent to test out a claim like this - especially in the context of this thread.
I agree. Doubt everybody, on all sides, equally. Look for objective sources of fact.
Dan Z wrote:Could you link us to some proof of the widespread use of paid protesters?
I would be surprised if there weren't some paid organizers in most protests these days. But I think most protestors - on all sides - are there because of what they believe in.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

PeterG wrote:Dan Z: "How are we going to respond post-election in light of the relational harm already done, and in the midst of all of the potential incivility and hate that might lie ahead?"

A lot of the posts in this thread (including this one, ironically): "Those people are wrong."
Perhaps the most important observation in this thread.
0 x