Peacemaking after the Election

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Peacemaking after the Election

Post by Dan Z »

I've been around for a number of these elections...and I don't remember one with this much rancor, mudslinging, emotion...and yes, even hate. Frankly, it concerns me. Relational bridges are already burning...and the burning might continue literally after the election, because someone is going to loose...and some people are going to be hugely disappointing - and very angry (both sides have framed this election as either saving or damning the democracy).

Jesus calls us to be peacemakers.

So...for us as Anabaptist Christians, representatives of the way of Peace and the triumph of the Kingdom of Love...

How are we going to respond post-election in light of the relational harm already done, and in the midst of all of the potential incivility and hate that might lie ahead?

(Thought: In preparation, many of us have been sucked in, and we may need to begin with repentance for the feelings of bitterness we have harbored and the ways we have contributed to the rancor and ugliness).

I think we need to be ready to respond to the sickness and dysfunction that this election had brought out.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Peacemaking after the Election

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Good post- I look forward to seeing others thoughts as I'm not entirely sure on specifics. Hopefully someone will offer insight.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Those that haven't been walking the way of peace will probably not magically change after the election (especially if their favored party doesn't win). If we suddenly need to change into peace-makers after the election, then it is probably too late to keep our Christian testimony from being ruined.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Make peace with your neighbours and make peace with your adversary quickly.

I'm not really sure how post election is different than any other time. Things can't possibly be worse than the 1st century.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I bet we could help the situation by not fueling the fire. People are absolutely consumed with it all; it would do them a lot of good to just not talk politics all the time. Break the cycle
with friendship, joy, and love.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Dan Z wrote:
How are we going to respond post-election in light of the relational harm already done, and in the midst of all of the potential incivility and hate that might lie ahead?
great thread, Dan :clap:

As the resident octogenarian I will share what I've experienced in previous elections.
Election Year 1968
-Two major assassinations: RFK and MLK, Jr
-Vietnam war is at it's worst.
-Civil unrest is widespread.
-Hubert Humphrey was the Dem candidate and with his tendency to promote one thing in one part of the country then promote it's complete opposite in another region, he lost the election when the media would play his contradictions side by side. It was the perfect example of the old saying: "talking out of both sides of his mouth".

Electorate rancor was as bad that year as it is this year and in some ways, '68 was worse because of the assassinations and widespread riots.

Afterward the True Christians bravely stepped forward and set examples of kindness towards others, refusing to discuss the elections and instead asking others sincerely: How are you doing? How can we help?
The Christians changed the subject from national ideologies to personal conversation. Subsequently...
We healed.
We forgot.
We went back to living our lives again.

I see that as the solution whenever a society becomes roiled as it has done in the past and will do so again in the future. History repeats and so we must repeat our Christian prerogative to heal and help, thus being leaven in the world.
In my opinion :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I know a few churches that are actually planning a communion service the day of the elections for this very reason.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

I currently find myself on the far side of the threatened Great Southern Wall.

Some of my neighbors are very worried about what may happen if a certain candidate is elected. They fear being cut off from family members on The Other Side.

I hope to prove in a small way that elected officials do not necessarily represent all of the people in their country. Bridge-building, peacemaking, I'm not sure what to call it, or even for that matter how to do it. But I hope to let the light of Jesus shine where I am and let Him work in my life and in the lives of those around me.

In some ways I am glad to be out of the country. It made me feel rather depressed and hopeless to watch everything happen these last months. I feel more hopeful for the future of my family here, surrounded by cartel members who live and let live and people who value relationships enough to look out for their neighbors, even if they are of a different culture.

I hope we can all work for the peace, love, and equality of God's Kingdom regardless of our individual circumstances.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Peregrino wrote:Some of my neighbors are very worried about what may happen if a certain candidate is elected. They fear being cut off from family members on The Other Side.
How does a wall cut them of more than they already are or are they just ignoring the laws already in place?

Would that separation already exist because of the distance? Is it also part of the natural consequences of moving far away and crossing a boundary that it is illegal to cross already?

While I am compassionate for people in challenging situations, would it not be more honorable to search for legal ways and advocate for an improved immigration system that would help the people who need to improve their life by working in a country that will afford them a better life and not have to live in the shadows?

For me, this is not an election issue, but a humanitarian one. I think it is very unfair that people are forced to live in the shadows because no one is willing to address the issue. While I have no passion for Trump, I do respect that he is at least addressing the issue head on.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Less than a page into this thread, and we have the beginnings of a debate on Trump's immigration stance. It took a lot of effort for me to refrain from escalating it. These are not good signs.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken