Poll: Civil Disobedience as a Peaceful Form of Political Protest

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

Check all that you agree with... based on A (not B-D)

1. Civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest typically accomplishes more long term good than thorough and respectful appeal.
6%
2. Thorough and respectful appeal typically accomplishes more long term good than civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest.
10%
3. The New Testament gives Christians the liberty to engage in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest.
14%
4. I don't know if the New Testament gives Christians the liberty to do so, but regardless, I think it is fine.
No votes
5. Christians should only resort to civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest once all efforts of appeal have been exhausted.
6%
6. Christians should engage in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest reluctantly and not joyfully.
4%
7. Christians should not engage in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest.
10%
8. Christians should not support those engaged in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest, even if they favor the causes behind the protest.
10%
9. Christians should avoid showing up among those engaged in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest, so that their presence is not confused with support for the protest.
14%
10. The New Testament gives Christians the liberty to appeal to civil authorities and speak out against unethical government decisions.
24%

Total votes: 49

Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Re: Poll: Civil Disobedience as a Peaceful Form of Political Protest

Post by Signtist »

Ok, this is somewhat as I suspected. I talked to a driver today who was there. In his words, he had a curb on the passenger door, a truck on his driver's door, and cars ahead and behind. He couldn't leave until others decided to leave and so was blocked in until the Saturday when the police began forcibly removing people. It wasn't just like he could ask one or 2 people to move to let him out.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Signtist wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:14 pm Ok, this is somewhat as I suspected. I talked to a driver today who was there. In his words, he had a curb on the passenger door, a truck on his driver's door, and cars ahead and behind. He couldn't leave until others decided to leave and so was blocked in until the Saturday when the police began forcibly removing people. It wasn't just like he could ask one or 2 people to move to let him out.
Did he tell police his situation and explain that he would like to leave but can't?

Or was he sort of glad he was penned in?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

I'll ask him next time I see him.
0 x