Poll: Civil Disobedience as a Peaceful Form of Political Protest

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

Check all that you agree with... based on A (not B-D)

1. Civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest typically accomplishes more long term good than thorough and respectful appeal.
6%
2. Thorough and respectful appeal typically accomplishes more long term good than civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest.
10%
3. The New Testament gives Christians the liberty to engage in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest.
14%
4. I don't know if the New Testament gives Christians the liberty to do so, but regardless, I think it is fine.
No votes
5. Christians should only resort to civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest once all efforts of appeal have been exhausted.
6%
6. Christians should engage in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest reluctantly and not joyfully.
4%
7. Christians should not engage in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest.
10%
8. Christians should not support those engaged in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest, even if they favor the causes behind the protest.
10%
9. Christians should avoid showing up among those engaged in civil disobedience as a peaceful form of political protest, so that their presence is not confused with support for the protest.
14%
10. The New Testament gives Christians the liberty to appeal to civil authorities and speak out against unethical government decisions.
24%

Total votes: 49

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Poll: Civil Disobedience as a Peaceful Form of Political Protest

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:34 amSo far, I keep coming back to finding a way to live out what I see as justice. In the civil rights era, eating together with black brothers and sisters in a restaurant is a good example. This is one reason I work with refugees, I see that as a witness to them and to others.

I also like the idea of prayer vigils, members of my church participate in prayer vigils for the victims of violent crime in our city.

The concept of "just protest" does seem useful. When a protest is itself causing injustice, that's not good. When a protest is more likely to cause harm than good, I want to stay away. But I do think there may be a role for protest, if done right.
Do you pick a "just protest" based on whether or not you like the politics of the person protesting?

I didn't find myself very supportive of protests in Russia in support of Navalny for various reasons (such as, for example, him being a literal neo-Nazi). On the other hand, I think it's important to for protests to be allowed to happen in a free and democratic society. We have examples in Canada, Russia, and America of societies that are run by authoritarian, totalitarian despots, who come with excuses why protests aren't OK. It entirely revolves around "do the protesters support my politics or not"?

Ultimately, protests are an expression of democratic will, just like voting - something that is important, but not something Christians should be involved in. Those of you who think it's OK to vote are obviously not going to agree on this.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:40 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:34 amSo far, I keep coming back to finding a way to live out what I see as justice. In the civil rights era, eating together with black brothers and sisters in a restaurant is a good example. This is one reason I work with refugees, I see that as a witness to them and to others.

I also like the idea of prayer vigils, members of my church participate in prayer vigils for the victims of violent crime in our city.

The concept of "just protest" does seem useful. When a protest is itself causing injustice, that's not good. When a protest is more likely to cause harm than good, I want to stay away. But I do think there may be a role for protest, if done right.
Do you pick a "just protest" based on whether or not you like the politics of the person protesting?
No. And I'm really trying to avoid getting sucked into framing everything in terms of politics. And I don't think the Kingdom of God makes us an expert on the political disputes around us. But the Bible does have a lot to say about justice.
Josh wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:40 pmI didn't find myself very supportive of protests in Russia in support of Navalny for various reasons (such as, for example, him being a literal neo-Nazi). On the other hand, I think it's important to for protests to be allowed to happen in a free and democratic society. We have examples in Canada, Russia, and America of societies that are run by authoritarian, totalitarian despots, who come with excuses why protests aren't OK. It entirely revolves around "do the protesters support my politics or not"?
You seem to believe Putin's framing more than I do. You also seem to see Canada and America as totalitarian in a way that I do not. Regardless, what makes you think you or me think that we are the experts on these things, that we have perfect understanding at a level that lets us judge who is right and wrong and choose the right politics? Because you really do seem to be saying it entirely revolves around your politics.

I think we should ask what Jesus said and did, what the Kingdom of God is, what justice and mercy look like, and how we should live that out.
Josh wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:40 pmUltimately, protests are an expression of democratic will, just like voting - something that is important, but not something Christians should be involved in. Those of you who think it's OK to vote are obviously not going to agree on this.
How are protests morally different from posting on these same matters on MennoNet?

I haven't been in a protest since 1983, unless you count helping tear down the Berlin Wall in 1989. If I were to be involved in a protest, I would want to have a lot of control over the way it was done, and I would want to discern together with other brothers and sisters before doing such a thing. Discernment is always important when we involve ourselves in these things.

Even on MennoNet.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:14 pm I would want to have a lot of control over the way it was done, and I would want to discern together with other brothers and sisters before doing such a thing.
One can march FOR things, not against things. I would be very comfortable in a Pro Peace, Pro Life, Pro Freedom march or rally.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Robert wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:57 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:14 pm I would want to have a lot of control over the way it was done, and I would want to discern together with other brothers and sisters before doing such a thing.
One can march FOR things, not against things. I would be very comfortable in a Pro Peace, Pro Life, Pro Freedom march or rally.
I suppose a key difference here is that I would not be, since these things tend to be inherently political. (I've been to a March for Life, and whilst I fully support their goals, they are still political.)
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:57 pm
:arrow: One can march FOR things, not against things.
I would be very comfortable in a Pro Peace, Pro Life, Pro Freedom march or rally.

Language matters, it can be (infuriating) how language can be hijacked, distorted, twisted.

It happens every year to March for Life. Which has proven over decades to be a peaceful march FOR life.
But is routinely reported as “ANTI-ABORTION PROTEST.” “ANTI-CHOICE PROTEST.”

In the earliest interviews with Canada’s truck convoy leaders, they specifically chose words like, “rally,” and “nonpartisan,”
“diverse,” but were immediately undermined by Trudeau and libs, lib media. Top-down. No restraint. No tolerance. No diplomacy.

The word, “Christian” was orginally a derogatory slur.

i haven’t participated, not even in MFL, which might be thought to be a “for sure” for me. but, no.
i don’t object. i admire their peaceful history, and intent.

i don’t want to be in control of everyone. with control comes great responsibility. my shoulders aren’t that broad.
that’s not me. i pray for God to protect and guide them to His will. (my prayer in all situations) even for those in high elected office.

Words matter.
Twisting words in order to undermine+prevail matters, too. “We see what you did there (with words.)” :evil:
God sees all.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:10 pm
It happens every year to March for Life. Which has proven over decades to be a peaceful march FOR life.
Most "Pro-life" gatherings are only "pro-life" relating to abortion, so I think "anti-abortion" is a better name. If the pro-life gathering also was for not funding the military or capital punishment, and for universal healthcare, I'd accept the name. Sometimes when I'm at "pro-life" demonstrations I'll make my own sign showing the broader pro-life message.

"Pro-choice" or "anti-choice" has a similar problem; the name ignores the issue being addressed: abortion.
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

JimFoxvog wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:49 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:10 pm It happens every year to March for Life. Which has proven over decades to be a peaceful march FOR life.
Most "Pro-life" gatherings are only "pro-life" relating to abortion, so I think "anti-abortion" is a better name. If the pro-life gathering also was for not funding the military or capital punishment, and for universal healthcare, I'd accept the name. Sometimes when I'm at "pro-life" demonstrations I'll make my own sign showing the broader pro-life message.

"Pro-choice" or "anti-choice" has a similar problem; the name ignores the issue being addressed: abortion.

On the former, i think you’re throwing the literal baby out with the bathwater, the sheer numbers of exterminated unborn involved so eclipse your added groups. i’m sorry to say. not that they’re meaningless. there are better ways to address them than to thwart MFL. (there are many actions taken for the added groups, i don’t recall any mention of the unborn added to those actions.) right or wrong, they tend to be specific.

On the latter, being pro-life for the unborn is being pro-choice: for many choices available BEFORE conception, and AFTER live birth.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

This one is for Ernie. I found it fascinating, and may explain why some drivers were parked "illegally." This is straight from a guy who was arrested and released, but faces 4 charges currently.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220307-202236_Samsung Internet.jpg
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Signtist wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:29 pmThis one is for Ernie. I found it fascinating, and may explain why some drivers were parked "illegally." This is straight from a guy who was arrested and released, but faces 4 charges currently.
So when the police then asked him to move, why didn't he?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Well at one point it would quite literally have been impossible for trucks to move as they were barricaded in by concrete barricades erected by police. Also, many, many drivers couldn't possibly have left because of how they were parked. I wasn't there, and most of what I read has been proven false by those who were. So I don't think I can answer your question at this point.
1 x