Govenrment spending: $30 million for crack pipe parts.

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Govenrment spending: $30 million for crack pipe parts.

Post by Josh »

The Biden administration is operating a program to spend $30 million to distribute "safe" crack pipe parts for smoking crack, meth, and other illegal, harmful drugs.

From the Washington Post (admittedly not a reliable news source):
In a first-of-its-kind federal grant to be distributed by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, a branch of HHS, dozens of organizations across the country would be able to spend the money over three years on a preapproved list of resources, including referrals to treatment, infectious-disease testing kits, condoms, and vaccinations for hepatitis A and B.

Also on the list: “safe smoking kits.” Typically, such kits include a rubber mouthpiece to prevent cuts and burns, brass screens to filter contaminants and disinfectant wipes, according to Harm Reduction International.
Whatever you think of government spending, I question why the federal government and the Biden administration have decided a spending priority is to spend $30 million on needles for heroin users, rubber mouthpieces for crack smokers, and so on. They should be spending these funds on helping people get off on drugs, not on helping them continue to use.
3 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Govenrment spending: $30 million for crack pipe parts.

Post by temporal1 »

There will be so much evil done in those multi-trillions Congress is signing off on, i seriously believe whatever good is in there will be over ridden.

i read about this. and, several other “tidbits.”
my basic reaction is, “AOC won.”

i grieve for children+young people. they will suffer, most never knowing what hit them.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

.... and this is the stuff that actually makes the news. Think about all that is hidden :cry:
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I would presume this would be to reduce the harm to addicts. I hope they monitor the program to see if it has this effect.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

JimFoxvog wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:36 am I would presume this would be to reduce the harm to addicts. I hope they monitor the program to see if it has this effect.
We have several decades of research on “harm reduction” and so far it does not help drug addiction.
2 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

JimFoxvog wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:36 am I would presume this would be to reduce the harm to addicts. I hope they monitor the program to see if it has this effect.
So they get fewer throat burns from the choy as they slowly kill themselves. Palliative care for addicts seems like a callous, nigh-on sinister approach and all in the name of care, compassion, harm-reduction and safety.

Nellie Bowles, a person firmly on the Left, had this to say by way of introduction to Michael Shellenberger's deep-dive into addicts living on the streets of San Francisco.
At this point all I can say is: go and see it.

Over the past two years, more than 1,360 people have died from drug overdoses in San Francisco. That is more than double the number who have died from Covid.

But you don’t need more stats. You don’t need more numbers about how the tent encampments are exploding. Or about the amount of money that the city is paying for each person doing drugs on the sidewalks. You need to see it.

I’m serious. Everyone in San Francisco should make a trip downtown. Walk around. And do not avert your eyes to the people dying slowly on the streets.

The politicians that run my hometown are relying on you not noticing what’s going on because it’s been bad for so long and who cares if it gets a little worse. Don’t let them. Go see it.

The city is using intimidation. They used it on me when I went to see what was going on at a new addict-services facility, which they’d set up in a public plaza. And they tried to intimidate my friend Michael Shellenberger, as you’ll read below.

The people in charge of homelessness and addiction want to bully people into giving up public streets and parks. They want to take your tax money and let your suffering neighbors die gentle, stoned deaths while they watch and call it justice. They think the mothers who want to get their sons out of the jaws of death are suspect. (It’s conservative to want your kid to live, don’t you know?) The city would like a little privacy please. Fentanyl use is an intimate moment between our officials and our addicts.

Do not listen to the propaganda. Skip Golden Gate Park. Bring your friends downtown instead. Stand in UN Plaza and just watch. Use your eyes, those great weapons.
Here's a link to North Carolina's Harm Reduction Coalition where they ask things like:
Why should I smoke safer?
What is in a safer smoking kit?
NCHRC promotes crack users smoke safer if they are going to smoke. They should use the following to prevent the acquisition of HIV and hepatitis

Mouthpiece: This is the most important thing in the kit. A cut sparkplug fits nicely onto a stem. Using this prevents you from getting cut, burnt and infected lips and HCV exposures.

Rubber Bands: Wrap these around the end of the stem to prevent lip burns (be aware that with hear these occasionally melt and snap).

Triple Antibiotic Ointment: First Aid for sores. Do not use for burns.

Alcohol Wipes: Use these to clean mouthpieces and pipes, especially if you a are sharing equipment.

Antiseptic Towelettes: Use these to clean off our hands (and your John if you are doing sex work).

Chore Boy/Brio: Use this as a filter in the stem. After repeated heating choy becomes hot and brittle and can be sucked into your throat. This provides an opportunity for you to be exposed to diseases, especially during unprotected oral sex. Change out your choy often.

Screen: 1 inch screens are used as a filer in the stem. These are better than choy since they last longer.

Vitamin C & E: Vitamin C helps lessen fatigue and crashing. Vitamin E will help cuts, sores and burns heal.

Condoms (lubed and unlubed): Use...(I won't print the recommendations here)

SAFER USING TIPS
Use a glass or metal stem with a mouthpiece.
Wipe mouthpieces with alcohol before using.
Stay away from broken pipes & pipes with visable blood.
Use clean choy or copper wire. Pipe screens are best if you have them.
If using a plastic bottle or pipe, remember to change the foil and use clean ashes.
Let your pipe cool down before taking your next hit, this prevents cuts and burns.
Use straight glass shooters, it will not cause burns as quickly.
Wrap end of straight shooter with rubber bands, thick rubber, pieces of tape or paper (you can even use a rolled up matches) so you are less likely to hurt your lips.
Clean crack shooters often and carefully.
File edges of broken glass shooters until they are smooth.
Touch flame shooter quickly instead of leaving it there, move fire along shooter to spread out the heat.
Stay away from mixing drugs.
Planning how much to use and setting limits can prevent some of the dangers associated with using or bingeing. Paying rent, buying groceries and paying other bills before buying drugs means budgets won’t get out of control. After a binge, people are often very hungry and ready to crash, so encouraging people to have food on hand and a safe place to sleep will make the crash easier.
Something seems deeply off about the harm-reduction folk and their priorities.
3 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

JimFoxvog wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:36 am I would presume this would be to reduce the harm to addicts.
I hope they monitor the program to see if it has this effect.
i agree with Josh+HK.

i guess the “they” you refer to would be gov officials/programs, which have a consistent history of never FIXING anything.
“they” represent incompetence married to corruption.

knowing this, “people” who stand aside while witnessing them commit VAST public funds .. with smiles and empty promises that, somehow, “more” is all they need to do better. no. it becomes “throwing good money after bad.” :evil:

prepare for hard times.

already, just following HUGE increases in min wage, HUGE sums thrown around for “economic stimulus,” supposedly a “big” increase in Soc Sec monthly benefits - the COL has already MORE THAN eaten up those vast sums!
THEY ARE FAST. putting real people in worse shape than ever.

government = 1 step forward, 3.5 steps backward. every time. the multi-trillions will be extended normalized disaster.

young people are easily fooled by their shenanigans. their many seductive “lies by omission of facts.”
we’re supposed to do some learning over time. that’s God’s original plan, anyways.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

Hunter Biden Arrives At White House In Fake Mustache And Glasses To Receive Free Crack Pipe
article-10474-2.jpg

https://babylonbee.com/news/hunter-bide ... crack-pipe
2 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Falco Underhill wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:24 pm Hunter Biden Arrives At White House In Fake Mustache And Glasses To Receive Free Crack Pipe

article-10474-2.jpg

https://babylonbee.com/news/hunter-bide ... crack-pipe
:lol: Where’s Grace?
0 x

UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:18 pm
We have several decades of research on “harm reduction” and so far it does not help drug addiction.
Thanks. Does it help drug addicts? That's a different question.
0 x