North Korea

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

North Korea

Post by Soloist »

For ya'll that have an interest in war politics, what is your thinking on the missile launches that North Korea said was aimed at the US bases in South Korea? Foolish, childish posturing? or calculated to increase US presence in South Korea increasing tension with China? or a third opinion?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: North Korea

Post by JimFoxvog »

North Korea saw what the US did to Iraq. They hope to have an effective deterrent so they don't suffer the same fate.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

JimFoxvog wrote:North Korea saw what the US did to Iraq. They hope to have an effective deterrent so they don't suffer the same fate.
North Korea has been pursuing nuclear weapons long before the war against Iraq. The US even aided themin providing Nuclear technology.

North Korea could overrun the South at any time even without missiles aimed at US bases in the South. The US response (non-nuclear) to such an invasion would devastate North Korea and put an end to the regime there. North Korea's nuclear arms and ballistic missile program are intended to make that response too costly for the Americans (and the Japanese) to carry out. With a powerful enough nuclear arsenal to deter a response to an invasion of the South, North Korea will quite likely move against South Korea at some time in the future.

Since diplomacy and appeasement have not worked, the US and Japan will be forced to prevent the North from acquiring a deterrent nuclear force (possible by engaging in a first strike) or they will have to engage in a dangerous nuclear arms race to ensure that North Korea will be assured of nuclear destruction if it dared to use its military against the South or launch missiles against US forces or against Japan. Another possibility is a coup or an internal collapse of the North Korean regime, and I suspect there are clandestine efforts to achieve that going on as well.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Very insightful Wayne, and I think you are right in all accounts.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I found this video to be very telling and sad.

https://www.facebook.com/HigherPerspect ... 778656836/

Here is a fact page about North Korea.

http://www.higherperspectives.com/shock ... 25603.html
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/no ... a09b356eb4

I was referring to this specific event which was what triggered the THAAD defense system to be moved to my knowledge causing issues with South Korea's relation with China via sanctions for the defense system.
Is North Korea using clever tactics? or short sighted nonsense?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat